What's new

Is it true that all Indian restaurants in UK are owned by Bangladeshis?

You make a decent profit?........Yes!!......So?That's it!! Why run after Names?

Look.. I have spent enough time on this forum that a kid like you would take to grow up as mature. Not that I cant answer you in your own tone or cant take jokes.. but I dont take $hit when it comes to my religion. and you wanna joke around with me, then open a fun thread in members club and tag me..am always up for it,..just do not make fun of my religion when you have no idea of the history of our religion.

Well, it was never about your religion, just your commitment to it.

This is very shameful for a Bangladeshi to promote Indian cuisine instead of Bangladeshi or Bengali cuisine in foreign country. I feel very sad to admit that most Sylheti Bangladeshis pretend to be Indian in UK to run restaurants. We should promote Bangladesh, not India.

This restaurant is one of the several Indian restaurants owned by Bangladeshis of Sylheti diaspora. Please guys promote Bangladesh, not India when you are in abroad.

main_qimg_4d252b06b4b83f4070baf5c25dad4b67.jpg

Its business, more Indians than Bangladeshis plus Indian food has name but not many people know about bangladeshi food.

That is because all the South Asian cuisine is classed as 'Indian' in the UK and almost everywhere in Europe. It does piss me off too when I see Pakistani restaurants offering 'Indian' cuisine but then, I don't think anybody here would have heard of Pakistani or Bangladeshi cuisine.

Whether there is difference between Pakistani/Indian/Bangladeshi food is another topic (and I am aware of the regional specialities).

I know a few guys both Bangladeshis and Pakistanis who run these restaurants to cater for the locals, basically the gravy is same, add a few slices of tomatoes and a tablespoon of ketchup and it's called Rogan Josh, same gravy, add some lentils and a few slices of Pineapple, it's Dhansak... some dessicated coconut and carnation milk gives you kurma and add some red food colour, you have got tika masala.....The so called Tandoori Chicken, Sheikh kebabs, Tikas and Tandoori Roti and Nan are all either prepared under a grill or in the Microwave....:lol:
I'm sure you've come across the "tikka" sandwiches and "bites" that they sell in petrol stations (and even at Dominos), what the connection is between what that stuff is an Indian cuisine I will never know.

+ the funniest thing I have seen in this regard is one of my flatmates making Naan (to go alongside his "homemade curry" brought to us by Patak) in a toaster!

I think it is more to do with "brand recognition". People in the UK equate India with curry and thus when they go to an Indian restruant know what to expect/what they want. A Pakistani/Bangledeshi restruant would be likely avided in favour of an Indian resturant by the average British person even if they were to serve very similar food. So it is just easier to label all restrunts serving somethng that looks like curry as an "Indian restruant". To be honest this is such a common practice I'm surprised we are even discussing it, I assume the situation is the same in Canada and America.

The only time I see a Pakistani or Bangledeshi branded restruant is in heavily segregated areas where the majority of the population are Pakistani/Bangledeshi.

Similarly most South Indian restaurants are run by Lankan Tamils, In highly ghettoized area's like Tooting and Wembley

That is because all the South Asian cuisine is classed as 'Indian' in the UK and almost everywhere in Europe. It does piss me off too when I see Pakistani restaurants offering 'Indian' cuisine but then, I don't think anybody here would have heard of Pakistani or Bangladeshi cuisine.

Whether there is difference between Pakistani/Indian/Bangladeshi food is another topic (and I am aware of the regional specialities).
It's nothing personal, to the average British customer Pakistani and Bangledeshi food would sound too excotic- better stick to the nation's faovutire dish (Indian) curry.

Similarly most South Indian restaurants are run by Lankan Tamils, In highly ghettoized area's like Tooting and Wembley
I can't speak from experience in this regard but that makes sense. I have only been to one South Indian restruant in my entire life and that was in York and the staff/owners were Indian for sure (and the food was delcious!).

I have read some where the population of Hindus was 51% in 1947 and Muslims were 42%,so there areas should have been returned to India.

If we have followed that logic then we would have 10th degree inclaves and exclaves all over South Asia. With some neighborhood in Delhi belonging to Pakistan and some in Karachi belonging to India.

She believes that Indians, specially the ones from Lucknow living out of India call themselves Pakistani.

May their ancestors cam from Lukhnau or they like the name. There are fifth and sixth generation Canadians and American who remember that their ancestors came from Germany or Ireland. So if they name their restaurants as Irish Pub or Munich Beer Garden what is the problem ?

I can't speak from experience in this regard but that makes sense. I have only been to one South Indian restruant in my entire life and that was in York and the staff/owners were Indian for sure (and the food was delcious!).

It all depends on the demographics.. In Australia you get authentic Sri Lankan restaurants both high end and you're average corner shop, because of the more varied Lankan diaspora Sinhalese, Moors and Burghers than Tamils

But in countries like England and Canada Tamils are the overwhelming majority in the diaspora, So much so others are not even recognized.. So invariably what is known as Sri Lankan food is basically South Indian because Tamil cuisine is very much what you get in South India

But as i mentioned earlier the hottest joint in town right now in London seems to be a Sri Lankan restaurant run by British Indians.. And that's just how it goes

I'm sure you've come across the "tikka" sandwiches and "bites" that they sell in petrol stations (and even at Dominos), what the connection is between what that stuff is an Indian cuisine I will never know.

+ the funniest thing I have seen in this regard is one of my flatmates making Naan (to go alongside his "homemade curry" brought to us by Patak) in a toaster!
One joint has introduced Pizza Vindaloo, with a topping of either Chicken Tika or spicy mince, while another has started serving Nan made from..... Marshmallows......easy money.

It all depends on the demographics.. In Australia you get authentic Sri Lankan restaurants both high end and you're average corner shop, because of the more varied Lankan diaspora both Sinhalese and Burghers than Tamils

But in countries like England and Canada Tamils are the overwhelming majority in the diaspora, So invariably what is known as Sri Lankan food is basically South Indian because Tamil cuisine is very much what you get in South India

But as i mentioned earlier the hottest joint in town right now in London seems to be a Sri Lankan restaurant run by British Indians.. And that's just how it goes
A most logical explanation mate, much appreciated. I am a pretty much clueless about South Indian/Sri Lankan cuisine.

One joint has introduced Pizza Vindaloo, with a topping of either Chicken Tika or spicy mince, while another has started serving Nan made from..... Marshmallows......easy money.
Pizza Vindaloo? Naan from Marshmallows? I've heard it all now.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those white people......

Back
Top Bottom