What's new

Is it true that all Indian restaurants in UK are owned by Bangladeshis?

Heh, its the same thing here as well for Japanese food. Being something of a japanophile myself, I can detect the clear differences between the regular Chinese/Korean owned Japanese style restaurants and authentic Japanese ones. The latter are quite rare and normally quite expensive. I'm not dissing the non-authentic ones....they are just not so accurate and more "mainstream" in their dishes....and there are often outright Chinese selections on the menu too.

Real japanese food for example is not meant to be dipped in tons of soy sauce and fake wasabi...which I see most people doing at the mainstream joints...esp the "all you can eat" ones. It's meant to be eaten cleanly, it should be of that quality to get the nuances of the ingredients. This is true even for more regular "Udon" style eateries. In Canada, the West coast has some really good more true Japanese restaurants, with places handed down through generations of Japanese immigrants.

But then if you dont want to break your budget and compromise, the mainstream ones offer the best value by far....you just have to have been to the authentic versions a few times at least to create something of a "reference" so you know which of the "riffraff" are closer to the real thing and which items are the best bet etc...I would imagine its tough in the UK since there is no real history of major Japanese immigration like West Coast North America. The one I want to try yet is the cuisine of the Japanese people in Brazil....to see what they have retained and what they have merged/fused/adapted etc.

@Nihonjin1051 can probably explain more and better. Actually going to Japan for the first time was quite an eye-opener to me to how the Japanese value their core cuisine....and what quality they expect.

This was also a really great watch to get a perspective on the subject: Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011) - IMDb

LOL!! If you're referrIng to these so called Japanse sushi buffets here in the US? Sure, most of them are usually owned by Korean or Chinese. There's a good one close to my place; the owners are Taiwanese in fact. The owner speaks some Japanese so that's why I frequent his business. :]

LOL!! If you're referrIng to these so called Japanse sushi buffets here in the US? Sure, most of them are usually owned by Korean or Chinese. There's a good one close to my place; the owners are Taiwanese in fact. The owner speaks some Japanese so that's why I frequent his business. :]

Hey @Nihonjin1051 bro ! :bounce:

There's a good one close to my place; the owners are Taiwanese in fact. The owner speaks some Japanese so that's why I frequent his business. :]

One of my best Taiwanese friends way back from middle school spoke Japanese very fluently....so well in fact that one of my Japanese friends was shocked when I told him he was actually from Taiwan hehe.

Bro, I was wondering if you are from Hokkaido. You were talking about Sapporo in the other thread ;)

How would you rate the Japanese cuisine in North America overall compared to Japan? Would you agree the palate has been changed/adapted somewhat?

@Nihonjin1051 I will be visiting Japan/Tokyo in a week. Mostly would be a business cum leisure trip. This would be my first time in Japan.

Give me some heads up about how to look for: (the Embassy already has given me some bunch of info but I suppose it would be too filtered/conditioned/garden variety.)

1. Eateries in the city
2. Transport options to other cities from Tokyo.
3. Tourist/Trekking options in Japan.
4. Transport options in and around Tokyo

:dirol::usflag:

Last edited:
I have already mentioned Karachi Bakery. I'm a big fan of their biscuits. You might want to check the previous posts.
There are several restaurants in Pakistan that serve indian cuisine too

There are several restaurants in Pakistan that serve indian cuisine too
I know. But, I don't understand the relation with Karachi bakery. I had mentioned that in one of my previous posts, because it is named after a city in present Pakistan. There is one outlet in Pune, one in Hyderabad, I don't know they are branches of the same chain or not. But then again, most probably, it is something existing from pre-independence times.

The name India sells, Bangladesh not so much.

They are just being pragmatic.
No, Indians hijacked everything as being indian whether its food, music, clothes, languages etc
The common reason for name India sell is because most people still live in era of United India when all these countries were one and dont realize this fact that they have been separated. Some food dishes were common so you cannot say daal subzi own by those who keep Indian citizenship or living in geographic boundary of present India lol funny that beef, meat dishes, kebabs,Nihari, Haleem, pahey ,variety of rices being sold as Indian food when mostly Hindus are vegetarians .

What i don't liek about our Bangladeshi Muslim friends that they also sell wines with food which is haram. Halal food serve with wine is bit contradiction. Pakistani restaurants are popular in london/Birmigham/Manchester/bradford etc All popular Indian restaurant in my city owned by Bangladeshi and this one is most popular

Kuti's - Simply irresistible Indian & Thai cuisine in Hampshire

They also serve Thai food

137399090.WYZjNKAU.DSC010221.JPG

At topic, it not just that the names are Indian only. There is a famous bakery in Hyderabad, Banjara hills, named Karachi bakery. There is another one by the same name in Pune.
I was told that there is a one pro Pakistan who own this bakery and he actually migrated from Karachi :D

Last edited:
We don't need to use any country to make a living.

I hate saying this but yes, your right. Indian's are proud and unambigous - Indian.

If you see this:-

Dhesi
Balti
Asian
Apna
Lahore- Indian
Karachi - Indian

This will be Pakistani's avoiding the "P" word.

My Lahore, Indian Restaurant in Rusholme
Karachi Indian Pakistan Restaurant Nishi-Shinjuku Tokyo (1 review) - Tokyo Restaurant Guide
Karachi Karahi | Best Indian Restaurant & Takeaway in Plaistow
Akbars | Authentic Indian Cuisine | .

Last edited:
Any proof?

Yes his proof:

you-want-proof-its-everywhere-man.jpg

I hate saying this but yes, you right. Idian's are proud and unambigous - Indian.

Dhesi
Balti
Asian
Apna
Lahore- Indian
Karachi - Indian

Karachi Indian Pakistan Restaurant Nishi-Shinjuku Tokyo (1 review) - Tokyo Restaurant Guide

It's not to avoid the P word buddy, it's because to the average Englishman/woman all curries are Indian and all noodle foods are Chinese... Try asking a brummie what a Chicken Alfredo is, and you will get your answer.

I hate saying this but yes, you right. Idian's are proud and unambigous - Indian.

Dhesi
Balti
Asian
Apna
Lahore- Indian
Karachi - Indian

No, its not that these resturants avoid Pakistan but Lahore word is common for Pakistani restaurants because its well known city for its foods just like most afghan restaurant use word kabul..Its very easy to recognise which restaurant own by Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi :D

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom