What's new

Is it true that all Indian restaurants in UK are owned by Bangladeshis?

You have to understand that we don't count Lucknow as a part of India. There is also meerut kebab house in Karachi. We are trying to retain our Lucknowi identity which is much better than muhajir identity. Again we do not see those regions as part of India but believe they should have gone to Pakistan. We see it as a responsibility to meld our land taken away from us with Pakistan. The only name that will be copying indian will be India which the restaurant shown in the picture is at the top.

Similarly we don't consider Karachi as part of Pakistan because it was predominantly hindu before partition and major business of Karachi were run by Hindus. We have world famous Karachi Bakery here in Hyderabad.

Home | Karachi Bakery
Karachi Bakery hyderabad - Virtual Tour

Not disputing this at all. My first post on this thread addressed exactly that. Because of the history and respective "brand valuing"....it is simply a pragmatic decision....and its not a dishonest one either really if you dig down deep enough.

So you can't really complain stuff is being labelled "Indian"....because the context itself can be quite different from today's India just like you said.....though it rests on the individual I guess....some definitely do ride the coat-tails of India in the modern sense as well.

What % split there is between these is up to your own bias/perspective.

I am in agreement with you here overall.
Its like when you guys sing verses of our national poet Dr Allama Iqbal " sare Jahaan se acha hindustaan humara" You just think about modern India formed in 1947 and exclude countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh when we all know this was written for entire region at time when Hindustan comprises all these countries so yes the op is objecting because he has his own unique identity or country now and he want to be associated with it ..before 1971 we could have labelled Bangladeshi food as east Pakistani Food and this foods have different brand name before 1947 lol so we cannot blame people and i understand this naming thing is pure business approach to attract customers from all three countries and they even include some Chinese and thai dishes to attract even more customers. I love PIzza and dont care if its origin was in Italia or somalia

Bangladeshi is Indian chef in UK. WTH!

Tommy Miah is a Bangladesh born British celebrity chef, owner of the award-winning Raj Restaurant and founder of the International Indian Chef of the Year Competition. He is popularly known as the "Curry King" in Britain. In 2004, Miah was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.

main-qimg-7c81b31309678a8d26993f26ed55d174
lol what you want to prove with this pics? Bangladeshi chefs wanted to be labelled as Indian chef rather than Bengali?

what about this lady?

2D32720100000578-3263963-image-m-5_1444304290480.jpg

2D2C0E9A00000578-3263963-image-a-32_1444245935327.jpg

Yes, most Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Nepalese restaurants use Indian. Also most Bangladeshi, Pakistani restaurants avoid beef. It make business sense. There is no need to read more into it. First, the number of Indians living abroad is huge and will easily out number other south Asians and second, most foreigners identify the sub continent as Indians. Hence anything that comes out of the sub continent is labelled Indian. Even I have seen Afghan restaurants named as Indian

Lets stop fighting for a moment, and reflect on how glorious our spices and food tastes like. (All of South Asia)

Yes, most Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Nepalese restaurants use Indian. Also most Bangladeshi, Pakistani restaurants avoid beef. It make business sense. There is no need to read more into it. First, the number of Indians living abroad is huge and will easily out number other south Asians and second, most foreigners identify the sub continent as Indians. Hence anything that comes out of the sub continent is labelled Indian. Even I have seen Afghan restaurants named as Indian
You are just exaggerating. I found beef meat dishes in abundance in every Pakistani restaurants and there is also a big bold sign of halal and no serving of wine even though it could bring more customers if you just look at business point of view. You could easily guess with their names. I have even seen Sikh Punjabi saradar sell meat samosa next door based on halal meat to get more customers so no need to jump up and down for this marketing tactics

You are just exaggerating. I found beef meat dishes in abundance in every Pakistani restaurants and there is also a big bold sign of halal and no serving of wine even though it could bring more customers if you just look at business point of view. You could easily guess with their names. I have even seen Sikh Punjabi saradar sell meat samosa next door based on halal meat to get more customers so no need to jump up and down for this marketing tactics

I went to so many Pakistani restaurants abroad from small town to large cities and I must have found only one or two restaurants offering beef. As I said 'Pakistaninism' doesn't feed one's stomach but business sense do.

I went to so many Pakistani restaurants abroad from small town to large cities and I must have found only one or two restaurants offering beef. As I said 'Pakistaninism' doesn't feed one's stomach but business sense do.
May i know which restaurants? There are many places where beef is not available so as a alternate they have to use lame/mutton meat otherwise nihari, pahey and haleem is incomplete without beef . If business was the only concern then Pakistani owners don't hesitate to serve pork and wine to non Muslims in their restaurants the way Indian take away owners make pork sausage for local white customers

May i know which restaurants? There are many places where beef is not available so as a alternate they have to use lame/mutton meat otherwise nihari, pahey and haleem is incomplete without beef . If business was the only concern then Pakistani owners don't hesitate to serve pork and wine to non Muslims in their restaurants the way Indian take away owners make pork sausage for local white customers

Indians eat mutton. Most of restaurants have online presence. And most have menu online. You can check. Better known the restaurant, the lesser chance that it will serve beef.

Yes, most restaurents away from the ethnic centres are Bangladeshi owned. Yes most also call them "Indian". However I think there has been a concerted effort made by Banglasdeshi to rebrand them as "Bangladshi". So I increasingly see them having the "B" tag hypenated with the "I" tag. Rarely you get just the "B" tag alone. However all in all most customers will probably realize that the establishment is Bangladeshi as the "B" tag will be found somewhere even it is included just in the menu.

Pakistani owned restaurents almost always go under the "India" tag. Examples like Aaagrah, Nawaabs, Akbars, Sher Khan etc are all tagged as Indian. Very, very few Pakistani restaurents go under the "P" tag. In fact they avoid the "P" tag like it is haram and the "I" tag is halal.

Only if 99% of their customers are Pakistani will they drop the "I" tag and then guess what they will fall back on? Yes, you got it, the "D" tag or dhesi. If they don't use the "D" tag then they will invariably will use the "A" tag. That is Apna. Then maybe when they have no options they decide to go haram and use the "P" tag which is damned rare.

My underatanding is that when they came here in 1950s and 1960s most English were oblivious of "P" so they used the fame from British India. However I always say you do that in 1,000 years nothing will change. If they had insisted in using their own names 50 years later, today they would be established.

This is the fault of Pakistani's even the media is at it. Go to Dawn and see the recipes. They will call them "Dhesi" Indian's will never use that term. The result is food that Indian's rarely eat has become asociated with Indians.

The "P" word has been orphan for long time. Mind you recently new use has been found for it. Terrorist? Pakistani bomber? Sex grooming gangs? Muslim Pakistani? So at least the "P" word has become widely known.

Money Exchange? Muslim Xchange.
Jewellery shop? Asian
Local shop? Apna Dukhan
Call a taxi driver? Asian
Want to eat Ghosht Balti? Indian
Want to eat Seek Kebab? Indian

So where is Pakistan - No worries.

Want a bomb to go off? Pakistan Muslim
Sex Grooming gangs? Pakistani Muslim
Terrorism to order? Pakistani Muslim

And this is our media moulding public opinion. Dawn brags about being linked to founder of Pakistan - Jinnah. Yet nearly 70 years later it thinks the "P" word is haram word. This don't forget is a premier or so called Pakistani newspaper.

The best desi food in Karachi? The choice is endless.

The ultimate guide to: The best desi food in Karachi - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

It is just that you guys have always lost out in projecting your soft power. Cuisine, culture, art and films are projections of that soft power. Only saving grace for Pakistan in dacade I can think of was emergence of Malala Yousafzai for the cause of women and girls education and empowerment.

If business was the only concern then Pakistani owners don't hesitate to serve pork and wine to non Muslims in their restaurants the way Indian take away owners make pork sausage for local white customers

Majority of Indians don't eat pork too. Beef vs Pork business is a controversy and restaurants or for that matter any business will avoid controversy.

Bangladeshi is Indian chef in UK. WTH!

Tommy Miah is a Bangladesh born British celebrity chef, owner of the award-winning Raj Restaurant and founder of the International Indian Chef of the Year Competition. He is popularly known as the "Curry King" in Britain. In 2004, Miah was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.

main-qimg-7c81b31309678a8d26993f26ed55d174

In the uk, when they refer to Indian food it does not mean food from India, rather food from the Indian subcontinent. When he's called an Indian chef, they do not mean that he's a chef who's Indian rather a chef who makes 'Indian' food. Many people in the uk will say things such as 'let's get an Indian for dinner'. The word Curry and Indian are both used interchangeably.

Both Pakistanis and Bangladeshis run these restaurants claiming it to be Indian resturants,.and why would someoneclaim them as Indian restaurants ?? simply because Inidna food is good,,,not saying Pakistani food is not good, in fact North Indian and Pakistani dieshes are very much same.. but some Pakistani fanboys cant stop claiming Pakistani food to be better than Indian food. Food wise bangladesh does not even come close to India or Pakistan.

I was trying to locate a mall in a major Scandinavian capital once but wasn't able to cross the street owing to a marathon. So, I needed to find an alternative route. I was sitting on a bench trying to figure out and then i saw a sikh gentleman (in his 30's). I hollered bhaji... he stopped and said there's an alternate route and he'll show me.

We started walking & talking. His parents had moved from India and he was born and raised in the city. He obviously wanted to know where was I eating. I told him that mostly in Indian, Pak & B'deshi restaurants. But, barring 1 pak origin restaurant most of them had Indian written on it I said (Though i agree i havent visited all the restaurants in that city). He had this to say.

See Indian culture and food is known worldwide. It makes more business sense for migrants from sub continent to name it Indian. Naming it Bangladeshi isn't going to get a lot of ppl to come and eat (probably in UK it might-my opinion) & also naming it Pakistani.

On a personal note Pakistani food is awesome too. I tasted the best Nihari i have in one of those restaurants. Found out it was beef after a few meals. :lol:. First time t'was lamb. But, boy-o-boy was it tasty.

I wasn't making any point in this post. Just 1 of my experiences.

EDIT:

I remember 1 B'deshi takeaway which was not bad but also served pork. I was a little surprised. He was from Khulna. We chatted a lot in bengali. (I speak quite a few indian languages:-)). But, I didn't think it was proper for me to ask why he had written Indisk/Indiske and why he's serving pork. I was just happy with the spicy lamb curry he made. :D

Last edited:
This is very shameful for a Bangladeshi to promote Indian cuisine instead of Bangladeshi or Bengali cuisine in foreign country. I feel very sad to admit that most Sylheti Bangladeshis pretend to be Indians in UK to run restaurants. We should promote Bangladesh, not India.

This restaurant is one of the several Indian restaurants owned by Bangladeshis of Sylheti diaspora. Please guys promote Bangladesh, not India when you are in abroad.

main_qimg_4d252b06b4b83f4070baf5c25dad4b67.jpg
Sylhet almost came to India during partition. What will be Bangladeshi cuisine?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom