What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

New one, so su 30 or the photo of the aircraft available for years?...i forgot the name...
I think if anyones going to be building new aircraft it`ll probably be the irgc-af,not the iriaf.

Iranian Air Force Commander Says New Homegrown Aircraft to Be Unveiled

Brigadier General Mohammad Zalbeigi, the commander of Shahid Lashgari Airbase in Tehran, said the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) is progressing with the same pace as other countries despite the sanctions.

“We have had considerable progress in designing various types of aircraft, thanks to the efforts of the IRIAF personnel and knowledge-based companies,” he said in an interview, Press TV reported.

“God willing, we will witness the designing and production of aircraft built at the IRIAF in the near future, he said, vowing that the new aircraft will be unveiled soon.

He referred to the Iranian-made fighter jet Kowsar as one of the examples of this progress.

“During the parade held last year everyone witnessed the flight of Kowsar aircraft. It is an up-to-date plane whose systems conform to the world's most advanced systems,” he noted.

In 2018, Iran launched the mass production of the fourth-generation all-indigenous interceptor jet in a major step toward the renovation of its Air Force.

The Kowsar fighter jet, which has been designed to provide logistical support for ground operations, boasts advanced maneuvering capability and can be fitted with various projectiles.

The aircraft enjoys integrated design, an avionic and fire control system linked with digital military data network, a ballistic calculations computer system, head-up display (HUD), which focuses visual data in front of the pilot’s sight, a multi-purpose radar, and an independent radio navigation system.

According to the Defense Ministry’s Public Relations Department, the production of each Kowsar jet would save the country around $16.5 million.

Iran has made major breakthroughs in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing military equipment and hardware despite facing US sanctions and Western economic pressure.

The Islamic Republic says its military power is solely for defensive purposes against enemy threats.

President Hassan Rouhani said last month that the Islamic Republic is closely watching and following the activity and movements of Americans in the region, but will never be the initiator of any tension and conflict.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...er-says-new-homegrown-aircraft-to-be-unveiled

The way he describes this without superlatives leads me to believe it isn’t a big project.

Probably the trainer that hasn’t been revealed yet (Kowsar-88 or whatever it’s name is) or another possibility is another “generation” of a modernized F-5. Small chance it is related to long dead F-313 project or Shafaq project.

Since Iran has not unveiled a new jet engine, it will have to rely on owj still which means whatever fighter it is planning on unveiling is probably in the “light fighter” class.

The way he describes this without superlatives leads me to believe it isn’t a big project.

Probably the trainer that hasn’t been revealed yet (Kowsar-88 or whatever it’s name is) or another possibility is another “generation” of a modernized F-5. Small chance it is related to long dead F-313 project or Shafaq project.

Since Iran has not unveiled a new jet engine, it will have to rely on owj still which means whatever fighter it is planning on unveiling is probably in the “light fighter” class.

An extrapolated single-seater starting from the fuselage of the Kowsar (F-5F) with delta wings?

Delta wing 2019 images and my interpretation

k43rKPP.jpg

WkZqLCL.jpg

Well, I can't really comment on the how effective an Iranian made delta-wing fighter would be but as far as looks go I think it would be a genuinely nice change.

Don't know about you guys but I was getting really sick of seeing Iran churn out another F-5 saying its new or different from the old ones blah blah blah lol.

An extrapolated single-seater starting from the fuselage of the Kowsar (F-5F) with delta wings?

Delta wing 2019 images and my interpretation

k43rKPP.jpg

WkZqLCL.jpg
It actually looks a hell of a lot like the chengdu F-7 wing to be perfectly honest.
e9b48cd30d983f32e47e7243bc5d304a.jpg

It does make me wonder if this is to do with keeping the F-7 fleet operational rather than anything involving reengineering the F-5s,altho I had thought that the irgc now operated the F-7 fleet.:undecided:

It actually looks a hell of a lot like the chengdu F-7 wing to be perfectly honest.
e9b48cd30d983f32e47e7243bc5d304a.jpg

It does make me wonder if this is to do with keeping the F-7 fleet operational rather than anything involving reengineering the F-5s,altho I had thought that the irgc now operated the F-7 fleet.:undecided:

Of course, not being able to correctly recognize the fuselage indicated above, it is possible what you say.
But from the drawings you posted it is also evident that the outer wing edge have different sizes, therefore it can also be assumed that the similarity of this delta wing can be derived from the study of that of the F-7 with some modifications to adapt it to something else project.
However in the absence of certain news we are only speculating what this "new plane" could be, having as a reference what Iran currently has in production and what can be extrapolated from published videos.

Don't know about you guys but I was getting really sick of seeing Iran churn out another F-5 saying its new or different from the old ones blah blah blah lol.

I agree that Iran should not unveil every incremental development of the F-5 based platforms, but don't forget its very easy for people to sit behind their computers and simply expect great things to occur without a full appreciation of the complexities behind these endeavours. Instead of us being annoyed by the F-5 situation, we should be utterly proud that Iran can actually manufacture its own combat planes (including jet engines) under such sanctions. How many nations are even close to such a thing? Iran is impressive, but lets not expect miracles.

What I have seen from Iran is exactly what I would expect from a pragmatic nation. If Iran had not started off by learning to make a relatively simple airframe and instead poured its limited airforce resources making new designs, then I would have been disappointed. There is a step by step nature to these developments. I remember back in 2009 when Iran first revealed its Shahin air defence missiles that some people were upset that it was a upgrade of the Hawk missile and not completely something new. But 11 years on, look at Iran's air defence situation now.

I agree that Iran should not unveil every incremental development of the F-5 based platforms, but don't forget its very easy for people to sit behind their computers and simply expect great things to occur without a full appreciation of the complexities behind these endeavours. Instead of us being annoyed by the F-5 situation, we should be utterly proud that Iran can actually manufacture its own combat planes (including jet engines) under such sanctions. How many nations are even close to such a thing? Iran is impressive, but lets not expect miracles.

What I have seen from Iran is exactly what I would expect from a pragmatic nation. If Iran had not started off by learning to make a relatively simple airframe and instead poured its limited airforce resources making new designs, then I would have been disappointed. There is a step by step nature to these developments. I remember back in 2009 when Iran first revealed its Shahin air defence missiles that some people were upset that it was a upgrade of the Hawk missile and not completely something new. But 11 years on, look at Iran's air defence situation now.

All things considered (and I agree with you), Iran is indeed showing off an amicable display of national prowess in the production of indigenous military jets fair enough, but it does become a little bit of drag to see the same F-5 base model (with modifications) being shown off time and time again under some new name (Saeqeh, Kowsar, Azarakesh). Albeit they are upgrading the platform so there is that at-least.

Fingers crossed that we will see some sort of newly designed Iranian fighter that isn't based the F-5 platform sometime in the next 5-10 years.

My apologies if these posts come off as a little childish (which they do lol).

Last edited:
All things considered (and I agree with you), Iran is indeed showing off an amicable display of national prowess in the production of indigenous military jets fair enough, but it does become a little bit of drag to see the same F-5 base model (with modifications) being shown off time and time again under some new name (Saeqeh, Kowsar, Azarakesh). Albeit they are upgrading the platform so there is that at-least.

Fingers crossed that we will see some sort of newly designed Iranian fighter that isn't based the F-5 platform sometime in the next 5-10 years.

The F-18 was a development of the F-5.

It's nice to see Iran think about and develop that platform as well.

My apologies if these posts come off as a little childish (which they do lol).

I understand your frustration, what I will say to you is that these days will pass and Iran will ultimately reach a point in its airforce similar to its missile, UAV, air defence et cetera programs. When that will happen is not something I could estimate, but my hope is that behind the scene, there is an increased effort to develop this sector. Like I said earlier in the thread, the airforce is the "quiet branch" in Iran. They do not really speak much regarding their plans. As far as we know, they could be far more advanced than we think.

The F-18 was a development of the F-5.

It's nice to see Iran think about and develop that platform as well.

F-18 and F-5 are two different planes and two different classes. While they share some DNA (F-18‘s much smaller size prototype was derived from F-5), they are not as similar as say F-20 and F-5.

F-18 & F-5’s

q60KNKr-Tv0q8jWL98ln1MwVlLbw3xYaMxOej2PgRbhixBBIoeyWB7-brZi-MsAxFJ7j6lDUrgmEKENVkXKedkLkb7apJNZqbIwMmMdJgWPp5sGUyGX6Kf6UF00O4Ul9GrR4ztdW9Cyu6ghWBaLQnZ059yx76m8WplVR0ghOl5kyQwreNA

F-15 & F-5

220px-F-5andF-15.JPEG

F-18 is a big fighter. Iran’s problem has been the lack of large jet fighter engine and titanium requirement. Or else it’s pretty simple to enlarge a fighter design.

I said on this forum that the big engine is already built this will be confirmed soon. I mentioned the F4 SM (Super Improved) and the Iran is still more advanced than they officially say. The Kowsar remains a great success in this whole process. The sky of Iran is very well guarded with the many drones, radars, air defense system and intelligent artillery. With the arrival of new combat aircraft and the Oghab system, Iran is a fortress power. We can add the future Bavar 373 II

Back
Top Bottom