What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

So, about strike missions, do you think we can buy su-34s from russia? those will do nicely alongside su30s and 35s.

we are not buying any new F-4 and if you want to replace F-4 with Su-30 go forward and do it . but don't forget Su-30 needs a separate targetting pod if it want to drop anything but Iron Bombs.

It was supposed to be equal to F-15 but it come short of it in every aspect .
at least go and invest on something like Su-27sm2 that is a lot more advance than the most advance Su-30 or go after Su-35 not Su-30 that was designed as and export version for Su-27 andbe assure Russia will never give us SU-30SM1 that is equipped with Su-35 radar and engine
pal any fighter jet has to be equipped with targeting pod for bombing mission unless it uses the EO/GPS guided bombs, even for f-15.
it's not up to me to go and buy fighter jets. i'm sure IRIAF commanders are more aware in this regard than both of us.

So, about strike missions, do you think we can buy su-34s from russia? those will do nicely alongside su30s and 35s.
if i'm not wrong Algeria signed a deal for su-34 so it's definitely is for sale.

Realistically a missile is a big hunk of metal. It hits a target once and it's done. The motor, the parts, everything gone after one strike. A jet is a big hunk of metal but you can hit targets over and over and over again. That sounds over simplified but its true.

Missiles are great for a shock factor and for that initial strike but Iran needs a potent and modern airforce for any upcoming conflict. Yes against a power like the USA most of Iran's airforce will instantly be useless but that's true for any regional country (Pakistan, Turkey, etc).

On the other hand against a regional rival, having an effective and more modern airforce can make the difference between victory or defeat. Imagine Iran during the Iran-Iraq war without the F-14s... Iran's situation would have been much more difficult. Of course Iran didn't have a massive arsenal of missiles and drones but still.

Iran's airforce has done a great job keeping alot of western models airworthy, mostly on its own, despite opposition from the US. However Iran has lots of jets in its inventory that are honestly in need to being replaced, especially the F-4s.

What you see on paper is one thing but in reality there's a limit to how effective outdated jets will be for training purposes and especially a war. Remember jets tend to need maintenance, they break down constantly and need repairs. Older jets at the end of their life-cycle are even more difficult to keep airworthy. Another factor is that the large variety of jets in Iran's airforce is a logistics nightmare

I mean look at Egypts airforce as an example. Of course Egypt hasn't made any strides in developing it's own jets or technology but anyways they currently have 200+ F-16's, 24 Dassault Rafale fighter jets and 20 Mirage 2000's They've gotten rid of all of their older Soviet fighter jets like the Mig-21. They still have 44 x Mig-29s and 81 x Mirage 5's but overall that's pretty good.

Iran should be on par or atleast close to something like that but right now, it's not even close. Look Iran has gone a long way by itself, especially under sanctions, doing what many countries haven't done and can't do to this day even without sanctions.

Keeping a large number of western jets airworthy has even surprised many western analysts. Building it's own viable subsonic trainer like the Yasin and reverse engineering the F-5, building an optimized, modern variant and mass producing that version on a small scale are definitely commendable feats. However, despite all that, at the end of the day there's no doubt about it, Iran has fallen behind in this department and definitely needs an infusion of new jets and technology.

The SU-35, SU-34, SU-30 are all based on the same SU-27 platform.

In my opinion Iran should buy 100-200 SU-30s or other variants based on the SU-27, perhaps some SU-35s with technology transfers and make sure there's an in house building process, so the majority are built in Iran. At the same time Iran should build another 40-60 optimized F-5s for training purposes and for support roles, as a light fighter to compliment Iran's airforce.

Iran should also sign a deal for a 5th generation fighter like the SU-57 in the future but who knows if a deal that far in the future would go through. I don't think Iran should put any money down until it receives the jets first, that's for sure.

In any case, the jets will surely give Iran's airforce a much needed boost, but more than that the end of the logistics nightmare and morale boost will also be great for Iran's airforce. Aside from all that, with the necessary technology transfers and a decent amount of funding, I'm sure that Iran will produce impressive fighter jets in the future.

we are not buying any new F-4 and if you want to replace F-4 with Su-30 go forward and do it . but don't forget Su-30 needs a separate targetting pod if it want to drop anything but Iron Bombs.

It was supposed to be equal to F-15 but it come short of it in every aspect .
at least go and invest on something like Su-27sm2 that is a lot more advance than the most advance Su-30 or go after Su-35 not Su-30 that was designed as and export version for Su-27 andbe assure Russia will never give us SU-30SM1 that is equipped with Su-35 radar and engine

Why do "Iranian made" aircraft look like dinky toys? Seems apt for a one way "martyrdom mission" but not very useful otherwise. Does their ideology impinge on their ability to make rational design choices?
which one??

Do not compare Iran to banana countries like Egypt or Algeria (lol seriously Algeria?). Egypt’s Air Force is a joke first and foremost. Israel wiped out their entire air force in single day during war. That was when Egypt had the intelligence of a Chimp (Arab nationalism), now it has the intelligence of a rat (Saudi beggars).

So their Airforce should read “Nice toys please don’t touch”.

None of the countries airforce people mention here would last a day against Israel or US. Even Pakistan members on this forum giving “advice” to Iran need to wake up. Using a shoot down of a 40 year old Indian jet during a skirmish as evidence of the benefits of their airforce is not a valid example. As if Pakistan could survive 48 hours against the US airforce toe to toe. None of the countries will ever fight the US, thus they don’t have to worry about their toys and can stockpile them.

MY POINT: Iran unlike these other countries has a real chance of war against Israel or US (however unlikely) in the future. Thus if Iran can not guarantee the survival of it’s airbases in war time then what’s the point of buying a bunch of modern jets? As I mentioned earlier one needs to look at Egyptian airforce during Arab-Israeli war to see how fast an entire airforce can be destroyed.

If it doesn’t come with ToT then forget it. If it isn’t an interceptor then forget it.

It's remarkable how a unsanctioned, unrestricted Egypt has managed to have a disastrous failing economy.

People say the Iranian Government is incompetent, but the fact that many banana countries, who not only do NOT have an sanctions or restrictions on their economy but also receive military aid show Iran is doing well considering the circumstances, and these other nations are incompetent beyond measure. How do you fail when you have no enemies or barriers erected infront of you.

History doesn't always repeat itself. Just because Israel exploited an Egyptian weakness in the 60's and smashed their airforce within hours doesn't mean that the same thing would happen today.

The US would destroy the airforce of any regional nation toe to toe but Israel ? I honestly don't believe that Israel would completely wipe out Egypt's airforce in this day and edge.

Of course the Israeli's have an edge over all of their Arab neighbors. That's because the US deliberately gives the Israeli's priority when it comes to the best technology, making sure that they retain the qualitative edge. However I have to say that the Dassault Rafale jets are quite formidable and if Egypt does acquire the SU-35, that will be another huge boost for them. If I recall correctly, US officials have actually spoken out about Egypt acquiring the SU-35, saying that it could shift the balance of power between Egypt and Israel in favor of the Egyptians.

Anyways the US aside, Iran airforce NEEDS a boost, both of modern hardware and technology. Some of the jets in Iran's airforce are now way past their life cycle and Iran's airforce is quickly turning into a large museum. If a war breaks out against a regional rival or neighbor, having a large number of modern jets can make the difference between victory or defeat.

Iran's missiles will be devastating to any regional rival or neighbor. The US would have a much better chance destroying Iran's missile program and hitting targets deep underground but no country in the region can really put a large enough dent in Iran's missile program to stop Iran from launching atleast 20-50 missile daily. So yes Iran's missiles are great but coupled with a modern airforce and that's very destructive.

However the older jets in Iran's inventory simply cannot be relied upon to function on a daily basis under pressure. Most analysts believe that in case of a war between Iran and Turkey or iran and Pakistan, the majority of Iran's jets would be grounded within 6 months. They're simply too old, all the upgrades and maintenance in the world will not be enough.

Again what you see on paper is one thing and the real world capability of Iran's antiquated airforce is another. It's like driving a car that's 30-40 years old. With the proper maintenance it's possible to keep something like that on the road but then try to race that same car, keep it under pressure, driving it for long hours every single day and it will break down.

Of course any deal that Iran signs to purchase fighter jets from Russia should include TOT but at the same time if Iran insists that the jets must be built in Iran and include technology transfers, that will greatly limit Iran's options.
Most likely the Russians will only accept such a deal with the SU-30, but the SU-35 ? I'm not sure if they would.

What I think is that Iran should pick a middle ground. Purchase some SU-30's outright, that way if the Russians, who have not been 100% reliable in past, pull out of the deal abruptly, Iran still has something. Then have the other half built in Iran and then also purchase more advanced models without TOT as well to give Iran that extra boost, that edge it needs.

If the Russians won't give Iran TOT on the SU-35 who cares. Iran badly needs something like the SU-35, which is a very formidable jet. I would love to see something like this. Iran purchases 100-200 SU-30s. 200 would be great but I'm not sure if Iran would do that. Anyways, half purchased outright, only paid for after the jets are already in Iran's possession of course. Then the other half build in a few years in Iran.

On top of that Iran should purchase at the very least 20-40 SU-35's. Iran could then put alot of its older jets like the F-4 and the older Soviet models, under storage or sell them to Syria or another buyer ? Iran could keep some of the older fighter jets, perhaps the ones that are in the best shape ? Some F-14s and Mig-29's ? Perhaps the Russians could help Iran upgrade some of these older jets as well ? Then Iran could build 40-60 more optimized F-5's and use them as trainers and light attack jets. That would be great.

In the field of helicopters, I would love to see Iran finally build the Shahed 216, perhaps with Russian cooperation and maybe some vital parts with TOT ?

As far as tanks and armored vehicles go. I would lose to see Iran sign a deal for the Armata with TOT ? Or some vital components ? sensors ? cannons ? etc with TOT ? That would be great

Who knows, anyways only time will tell.

Do not compare Iran to banana countries like Egypt or Algeria (lol seriously Algeria?). Egypt’s Air Force is a joke first and foremost. Israel wiped out their entire air force in single day during war. That was when Egypt had the intelligence of a Chimp (Arab nationalism), now it has the intelligence of a rat (Saudi beggars).

So their Airforce should read “Nice toys please don’t touch”.

None of the countries airforce people mention here would last a day against Israel or US. Even Pakistan members on this forum giving “advice” to Iran need to wake up. Using a shoot down of a 40 year old Indian jet during a skirmish as evidence of the benefits of their airforce is not a valid example. As if Pakistan could survive 48 hours against the US airforce toe to toe. None of the countries will ever fight the US, thus they don’t have to worry about their toys and can stockpile them.

MY POINT: Iran unlike these other countries has a real chance of war against Israel or US (however unlikely) in the future. Thus if Iran can not guarantee the survival of it’s airbases in war time then what’s the point of buying a bunch of modern jets? As I mentioned earlier one needs to look at Egyptian airforce during Arab-Israeli war to see how fast an entire airforce can be destroyed.

If it doesn’t come with ToT then forget it. If it isn’t an interceptor then forget it.

Iranian Air Force Commander Says New Homegrown Aircraft to Be Unveiled
https://telegram.me/share/url?url=h...+Unveiled+-+Defense+news+-+Tasnim+News+Agency

Brigadier General Mohammad Zalbeigi, the commander of Shahid Lashgari Airbase in Tehran, said the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) is progressing with the same pace as other countries despite the sanctions.

“We have had considerable progress in designing various types of aircraft, thanks to the efforts of the IRIAF personnel and knowledge-based companies,” he said in an interview, Press TV reported.

“God willing, we will witness the designing and production of aircraft built at the IRIAF in the near future, he said, vowing that the new aircraft will be unveiled soon.

He referred to the Iranian-made fighter jet Kowsar as one of the examples of this progress.

“During the parade held last year everyone witnessed the flight of Kowsar aircraft. It is an up-to-date plane whose systems conform to the world's most advanced systems,” he noted.

In 2018, Iran launched the mass production of the fourth-generation all-indigenous interceptor jet in a major step toward the renovation of its Air Force.

The Kowsar fighter jet, which has been designed to provide logistical support for ground operations, boasts advanced maneuvering capability and can be fitted with various projectiles.

The aircraft enjoys integrated design, an avionic and fire control system linked with digital military data network, a ballistic calculations computer system, head-up display (HUD), which focuses visual data in front of the pilot’s sight, a multi-purpose radar, and an independent radio navigation system.

According to the Defense Ministry’s Public Relations Department, the production of each Kowsar jet would save the country around $16.5 million.

Iran has made major breakthroughs in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing military equipment and hardware despite facing US sanctions and Western economic pressure.

The Islamic Republic says its military power is solely for defensive purposes against enemy threats.

President Hassan Rouhani said last month that the Islamic Republic is closely watching and following the activity and movements of Americans in the region, but will never be the initiator of any tension and conflict.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...er-says-new-homegrown-aircraft-to-be-unveiled

Iranian Air Force Commander Says New Homegrown Aircraft to Be Unveiled

Brigadier General Mohammad Zalbeigi, the commander of Shahid Lashgari Airbase in Tehran, said the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) is progressing with the same pace as other countries despite the sanctions.

“We have had considerable progress in designing various types of aircraft, thanks to the efforts of the IRIAF personnel and knowledge-based companies,” he said in an interview, Press TV reported.

“God willing, we will witness the designing and production of aircraft built at the IRIAF in the near future, he said, vowing that the new aircraft will be unveiled soon.

He referred to the Iranian-made fighter jet Kowsar as one of the examples of this progress.

“During the parade held last year everyone witnessed the flight of Kowsar aircraft. It is an up-to-date plane whose systems conform to the world's most advanced systems,” he noted.

In 2018, Iran launched the mass production of the fourth-generation all-indigenous interceptor jet in a major step toward the renovation of its Air Force.

The Kowsar fighter jet, which has been designed to provide logistical support for ground operations, boasts advanced maneuvering capability and can be fitted with various projectiles.

The aircraft enjoys integrated design, an avionic and fire control system linked with digital military data network, a ballistic calculations computer system, head-up display (HUD), which focuses visual data in front of the pilot’s sight, a multi-purpose radar, and an independent radio navigation system.

According to the Defense Ministry’s Public Relations Department, the production of each Kowsar jet would save the country around $16.5 million.

Iran has made major breakthroughs in its defense sector and attained self-sufficiency in producing military equipment and hardware despite facing US sanctions and Western economic pressure.

The Islamic Republic says its military power is solely for defensive purposes against enemy threats.

President Hassan Rouhani said last month that the Islamic Republic is closely watching and following the activity and movements of Americans in the region, but will never be the initiator of any tension and conflict.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...er-says-new-homegrown-aircraft-to-be-unveiled
New one, so su 30 or the photo of the aircraft available for years?...i forgot the name...

New one, so su 30 or the photo of the aircraft available for years?...i forgot the name...

It could potentially be the Shafaq project. Yes, it could also be the plane the mockup of which we have seen for years. Iran has talked about developing a "semi heavy" fighter in the past so that could be it. Of course, the possibility that it is a further upgrade to the Kowsar family can not be discarded. Iranian airforce is the "quite branch" of Iran. They seem to develop in relative silence without talking much regarding their plans. Who knows, perhaps they're far more ahead than we think they are. I will never underestimate the capability of any people that can manufacture a fighter jet from scratch. Whether it is an F-5 or not does not matter to me. Once you have demonstrated the industrial capability to build fighter jets, then you can naturally progress further in this very difficult field. The other question is, how far has Iran got with its engine projects? Ex defence minister Dehghan did say a heavier jet engine than Owj was being developed, but we have yet to hear anything from it.

It could potentially be the Shafaq project. Yes, it could also be the plane the mockup of which we have seen for years. Iran has talked about developing a "semi heavy" fighter in the past so that could be it. Of course, the possibility that it is a further upgrade to the Kowsar family can not be discarded. Iranian airforce is the "quite branch" of Iran. They seem to develop in relative silence without talking much regarding their plans. Who knows, perhaps they're far more ahead than we think they are. I will never underestimate the capability of any people that can manufacture a fighter jet from scratch. Whether it is an F-5 or not does not matter to me. Once you have demonstrated the industrial capability to build fighter jets, then you can naturally progress further in this very difficult field. The other question is, how far has Iran got with its engine projects? Ex defence minister Dehghan did say a heavier jet engine than Owj was being developed, but we have yet to hear anything from it.
Even if they manage to unveil something par with jf17 or f16 its serves enough for years...in-between those time line new stealth one is most certain.
New AESA radar and homegrown armaments

Back
Top Bottom