What's new

Iranian Space program

Simorgh
Zoljanah
Qaem-100

We are in the fifth month of 2023 and still no launches of any of the above. Raesi will make Iran's space program great again, they said...
The last launch was on Nov 5th, 2022..(6 months ago) where Q-100 was tested...they sure are late ..even launch of sounding rockets have stopped...did Rouhanni pay a visit to space program...lol

I love how Iran uses ballistic missiles for space launches we should learn from them.

May be on the spirit of Islamic solidarity mullahs have stopped the space program so that Afghanistan space program can catch up with us.....

Just venting..lol

May be on the spirit of Islamic solidarity mullahs have stopped the space program so that Afghanistan space program can catch up with us.....

Just venting..lol
The largest satellite Iran has ever put into orbit is the 50kg Fajr satellite launched into LEO by Safir in 2015

North Korea put a 100kg satellite into a higher altitude orbit in 2012 and a 200kg satellite into orbit in 2016

The largest satellite Iran has a ever put into orbit is the 50kg Fajr satellite launched into LEO by Safir in 2015

North Korea put a 100kg satellite into a higher altitude orbit in 2012 and a 200kg satellite into orbit in 2016

I have to caution Iran has true civilian space program unlike NK. This does not excuse Iran’s sluggishness but it does explain NK’s speed.

At the end, this strikes me as a classic project management problem. Trying to take big steps with lots of development in between. That does not work. SpaceX is a good model. NASA is not.

I have to caution Iran has true civilian space program unlike NK. This does not excuse Iran’s sluggishness but it does explain NK’s speed.

At the end, this strikes me as a classic project management problem. Trying to take big steps with lots of development in between. That does not work. SpaceX is a good model. NASA is not.
Safir is based on North Korean Paektusan SLV.
As too Simorgh based on Unha from North Korea.

Safir is based on North Korean Paektusan SLV.
As too Simorgh based on Unha from North Korea.
Correct.

First orbital launch attempts:

Paektusan: 1998
Safir: 2009

Unha: 2009 (first successful launch - 2012)
Simorgh: 2017 (first successful launch - never)

Although the programs have now diverged. North Korea has gone full steam ahead with ICBMs, while ISA has been stuck with Simorgh and testing Zoljanah (simpler and smaller than Simorgh, but still very old technology), while IRGC started their program in 2020 with Qased and now testing Qaem-100.

Correct.

First orbital launch attempts:

Paektusan: 1998
Safir: 2009

Unha: 2009 (first successful launch - 2012)
Simorgh: 2017 (first successful launch - never)

Although the programs have now diverged. North Korea has gone full steam ahead with ICBMs, while ISA has been stuck with Simorgh and testing Zoljanah (simpler and smaller than Simorgh, but still very old technology), while IRGC started their program in 2020 with Qased and now testing Qaem-100.
North Korea would have been first one if it not abandoned Paektusan.
They went with Unha in 2006 hence sequence of failures until 2012.
Though North Korea doesn't need to use Unha ever again as SLV.
Since they developed Hwasong-15 ICBM of comparable impulse.
Much more efficient since 30-40 tons lighter than Unha-3 SLV.
Then Hwasong-17 that would be better SLV than Kosmos-3M.
North Korea could start with a manned space program by now.
They have technologies and rockets to support such program.

North Korea would have been first one if it not abandoned Paektusan.
They went with Unha in 2006 hence sequence of failures until 2012.
Though North Korea doesn't need to use Unha ever again as SLV.
Since they developed Hwasong-15 ICBM of comparable impulse.
Much more efficient since 30-40 tons lighter than Unha-3 SLV.
Then Hwasong-17 that would be better SLV than Kosmos-3M.
North Korea could start with a manned space program by now.
They have technologies and rockets to support such program.
A manned space program is a huge endeavour, they have the engines but I don't think they have the funds. Maybe they can send someone to space (i.e. 100km above ground) quickly, it was Iran's plan to do that by 2032.

Their satellite launches have stopped, they have prioritised their ICBM development.

A manned space program is a huge endeavour, they have the engines but I don't think they have the funds. Maybe they can send someone to space (i.e. 100km above ground) quickly, it was Iran's plan to do that by 2032.

Their satellite launches have stopped, they have prioritised their ICBM development.
They are planning to launch satellite this year.

1998 attempt
2006 attempt
2009 attempt
2012 attempt, success
2016 success
2023? planned

1.5 ton payload enough for capsule and decelerator.

NK continues to advance in more and more areas with less $$$ than Iran.

One must wonder what kind of military and program development North Korea could do if it wasn’t handcuffed by the lack of natural resources.

If NK was blessed in natural resources like Iran, I could even wager that they would have a much more advanced military than Iranians.

NK continues to advance in more and more areas with less $$$ than Iran.

One must wonder what kind of military and program development North Korea could do if it wasn’t handcuffed by the lack of natural resources.

If NK was blessed in natural resources like Iran, I could even wager that they would have a much more advanced military than Iranians.
As I mentioned before..Iran Space program is in HALT mode until Afghanistan Space program catches up with us..Islamic unity BS...Probably all Iran's space budget dedicated to Palestine (Space budget will re builds all destroyed houses for them.... who needs space program when Palestinians are homeless.!!)..
so yes . 12 years ago we sent monkeys to space now we can not send a coach roach to space that is progress in reverse order..WTF is going on.:undecided:

Last edited:
Iranian Space Agency starts construction of new Launch Pads in chabahar

Back
Top Bottom