What's new

Iranian P-3 aircraft flew dangerously close to U.S. Navy warships

The Ronin

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
An Iranian maritime patrol aircraft flew dangerously close to a U.S. Navy warships during a replenishment-at-sea with the guided-missile cruiser
08:32 (GMT+0000) November 29, 2019 in Aviation, Maritime Security, News

5945580-750x375.jpg

The U.S. Navy has released footage that shows an Iranian P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft flew dangerously close to the dry cargo and ammunition ship USNS Alan Shepard (T-AKE 3) during a replenishment-at-sea with the guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy (CG 60) in the Gulf of Oman.

USS Normandy is part of the East Coast Surface Action Group and is operating in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations in support of naval operations to ensure maritime stability and security in the Central Region, connecting the Mediterranean and Pacific through the western Indian Ocean and three strategic choke points.

An Iranian P-3 Orion flew several times near USNS Alan Shepard and USS Normandy. It is reported that the incident happened on 11 November.

The P-3 Orion is a land-based, long-range, anti-submarine warfare patrol aircraft. In operation since the 1960s, its known as the workhorse of the fleet. Lockheed produced the P-3F variant of the P-3 Orion, for Iran. Six examples were delivered to the former Imperial Iranian Air Force (IIAF) in 1975 and 1976.

Following the Iranian Revolution in 1979, the Orions continued in service, after the IIAF was renamed the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF). They were used in the Tanker War phase of the Iran–Iraq War and were operated by one of the most successful squadrons of the IRIAF during that conflict. A total of four P-3Fs remain in service.

https://defence-blog.com/news/irani...b537ATXIQT07dcMVjaG_zbxXWsA64UPPUxtVnGNemZZFM

that's not dangerously close ,its at least 2-3 hundreds meter away. if you want to knew whats dangerously close i can post some photos of Russian and Chinese fighter pilot when they want to say hi to their American peers

that's not dangerously close ,its at least 2-3 hundreds meter away. if you want to knew whats dangerously close i can post some photos of Russian and Chinese fighter pilot when they want to say hi to their American peers
if i remember correctly p-3 can carry 4 torpedoes in it's internal bay, so it was a little dangerous. however the propose was it to be dangerous.

if i remember correctly p-3 can carry 4 torpedoes in it's internal bay, so it was a little dangerous. however the propose was it to be dangerous.
I doubt those torpedo will detonate if you fire them from just 200m away

I doubt those torpedo will detonate if you fire them from just 200m away

Oh really? Perhaps you forgotten detonation of torpedos while still in the tube in submarines.

Once a torpedo is armed it will detonate. That is why submarines they do the fail safe maneuver and turn 180 degrees to trigger disarmament of warhead if it is hot.

Oh really? Perhaps you forgotten detonation of torpedos while still in the tube in submarines.

Once a torpedo is armed it will detonate. That is why submarines they do the fail safe maneuver and turn 180 degrees to trigger disarmament of warhead if it is hot.
the torpedo have a safety measure to take some distance from the sub and then detonate , the torpedoes explode in tubes when they have problem not when they are working .

What are American ships doing in the Gulf of Oman harassing Iranian sphere of influence. I think what the Washington type are telling is that China needs to construct four type 002/003 by 2022. Four old type 003 by 2025 and four type 004 carriers by 2028. With these carriers, there would be two naval bases in Cuba and two in Venezuela. So there are Chinese naval exercises in the Gulf of Mexico and many patrols. They are simply telling Iran, China and Russia to patrol the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. How nice of them. Better start building up your fleet Russia, China and Iran. The US is lonely in the Gulf of Mexico and off the coast of the Atlantic and Pacific.

They want US Orion planes to fly dangerously close to Iranian ships off the coast of North Carolina. Bad, bad Americans... harassing Iranian battlecruisers in the Atlantic.

Yes, it is. You do not know what you are talking about.

From the picture, the P-3 does not have much vertical room for maneuver. That is already a negative if something does go wrong. The turning radius of the aircraft is also problematic. If the pilot made an error, there could be a collision between aircraft and ship.

You can post a 'before' photo of a crash and the readers would not know what happened so your comment is meaningless. Unless you actually have time in the air, please do not make such stupid statement.

Yes, it is. You do not know what you are talking about.

From the picture, the P-3 does not have much vertical room for maneuver. That is already a negative if something does go wrong. The turning radius of the aircraft is also problematic. If the pilot made an error, there could be a collision between aircraft and ship.

You can post a 'before' photo of a crash and the readers would not know what happened so your comment is meaningless. Unless you actually have time in the air, please do not make such stupid statement.
I see the photo and to me the p3 can't turn tight enough to hit the ship it is crossing the ship pat from behind by some hundred meter and p3 is an anti-submarine aircraft its designed for low level flight over the sea

The P-3 is equipped with a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) in the extended tail. This instrument is able to detect the magnetic anomaly of a submarine in the Earth's magnetic field. The limited range of this instrument requires the aircraft to be near the submarine at low altitude. Because of this, it is primarily used for pinpointing the location of a submarine immediately prior to a torpedoe attack

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom