What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Why is the radar tower not covered? Dena design seeems dated. Not much difference from base Mowj design.
It's also using the radars typically used by the kaman/sina/la combattante class ships and not the larger dish of the other mowj ships or the planar array that only Jameran and Damavand seem to have. I remember similar disappointment when seeing Sahand's radar during its unveiling.

Yes,it has enormous potential with the right refit.
For instance if the lifeboats were relocated to the rear of the ship and the bridge wings moved to the front of the bridge block,there would be plenty of space for the mounting of 2 vls units on either side of the bridge block.There would be plenty of room on top of the bridge for mounting either a rotating 2 faced janus type radar array comprised of 2 3rd of khordad antennas or perhaps a 3 or 4 faced fixed array mounted on a solid mast,one could also look at installing the optronic raad system on the mast as a back up tracking and engagement system as well,plus the tracking and fire controls for the sub sonic antiship cruise missiles.
In addition one could easily fit between 4-6 ciws units in the bow,amidships and on top of the bridge,tho the exhaust stack on the starboard side would need to be lowered to ensure that the ciws unit on that side of the bridge would have a clear field of fire.Another possibility would be mounting one of the automated fajr-27 76mm naval main gun turrets in the bow as well especially if it was capable of firing basir type laser guided shells
Fitting of an aircraft elevator would also make good sense as it would greatly simplify the handling of aircraft and other vehicles and equipment.
Another possibility would be the fitting of a permanent telescoping hanger on the top deck,perhaps next to the entrance ramp,as this would allow the full time stationing of aircraft on the top deck for greater ease of operations.
Other options would be the fitting of smaller auxiliary doors and ramps cut into the main vehicle loading ramp as this would allow much faster launching and recovery of smaller patrol craft rather than having to crane them over the side.Another option would be a small moon pool to allow covert docking with iranian submarines for refueling/resupplying and even exchanging fresh crews as well.
I think that they made a very good choice with the purchase of this craft as it has a staggering amount of potential considering the extremely cheap price paid for it.
Hopefully we will see at least some of this huge potential realised,as I think that if anyone can do it its the irgc.

Reading the quoted post, I wanted to make this photoshop by implementing only a small part of the suggestions.
The CIWS replacing the ZU-23-2 and, what I think is indispensable, a hangar for helicopters, not telescopic but fixed.
10a08580b5a6260c183cbc128e5f69b1o.jpg

Dena uses Samen radar for engagement and Asr radar for searching. Samen can engage 1 aerial and 4 naval target.
So basically if anyone fired two ASMs, the ship is done.
Thank you for the close up pics, I didn't realize it has and ASR which is a great improvement and the samen can only engage one aerial at a time because the vessel might only have 2 mihrab/SM-2 available to fire. I hope that the other guns have eo/ir systems like the other ships. This platform is limited until vls can be implemented.

Brother Yavar, what do you mean by it being a testbed vessel? Do you mean to say that it is a multi-purpose vessel? But isn't it suppose to be the second intelligence ship by the IRGC Navy? Now if this vessel is a testbed, then what is Khalije Fars training ship for?
This vessel firstly & mostly for international arms shipping, since we do not need to transfer arms illegally and now we can export with this vessel which can defend itself from been inspection and no one can stop us so this vessel is pretty much in need

Also developeing sea base ,I mean ocean base Weapons systems so to be sure operational and all weather capablities.

Khlij Fars is for army navy, this is for IRGC navy, two teams,
And the final achievement will be handled by Defence ministry if needed

Last edited:
Are they IRGC or Basij under IRGC supervision? I was surprised from a recent video that a coastal militia existed and to this size. There is plenty of recruitment for future IRGCN, I wouldn't be surprised if the younger members in the Basij are in youth group programs throughout their school and college years that result in their entry into the group, similar concept to the ROTC programs for military in the US; it creates a very easy transition into formal entry into the armed forces while being trained and drilled at a softer level in school and summer camps.
I remember my dad and uncle both telling me about the international cub scouts in Iran in the 1950/60s when they were members as young teens and I always assumed that these camps and programs would have ended up as Basij programs after the revolution and certainly after the war.

Why Sahand has an old radar unlike the other Mowj Class? Even the Kamand CIWS doesn’t have the EO sensors for fire control? @skyshadow @WudangMaster
020E012B-F7C1-4161-8F68-59163DCBC2A2.jpeg

sahand frigate
2E9F45E9-E9E3-4699-8290-70B678DC0C76.jpeg

EO Sensors for kamand ciws on Alborz

Why Sahand has an old radar unlike the other Mowj Class? Even the Kamand CIWS doesn’t have the EO sensors for fire control? @skyshadow @WudangMaster
View attachment 691685
sahand frigate
View attachment 691686
EO Sensors for kamand ciws on Alborz
I think they might be somewhere on the mast or near bridge. there is new video regarding the Sahand and it stated that there is eo system in addition to radar controlling the 40 mm bofors at the bow, so I think the same eo systems for both bofors and kamand systems might all be on the mast. I would need bigger pics or bigger screen to scrutinize pics.
When it comes to radars, at this point I think the ASR radar might be too much radar for this class of ship, given their ammo limitations.
One thing that confuses me is that the Sahand radar that you circled is the Thamen radar, but I do not see that on the Dena that is supposed to have it, according to tweets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if this was already posted, an interview with Admiral Khanzandi. One of the things mentioned in this interview are the armaments of the Paykan (updated Sina/Kaman/La Combattante) are pretty good for a vessel of it size. In fact, I was thinking about it, it pretty much the same as a Mowj minus 2 standards and ASW which makes mowj not as impressive when compared to their smaller brothers in the same fleet. In fact, it looks like Dena is even using one of the Paykan radars.

Last edited:
I recommend that every iranian in this forum who speaks farsi to watch this documentary about the building of the first moje class frigate in the above posted by Raghfarm007...it will make you proud...thanks to Raghfarm007 for posting it.

I remember much of the horror story surrounding the engines and drive shaft being discussed a few years after the Jameran was first unveiled; can't remember the forum or member but the details were pretty much the same and i remember the shock of it all and what the navy had to go through.
And yet there are garbage people like ziba kalam who still want to import everything.
Best part of the documentary was near the end when they pointed that the royal navy that destroyed the Imperial Iranian Navy in Reza Shah's time will not be able to do that and the tanker theft by royal pirates and the resulting confiscation of english assets by IRGCN clearly demonstrated this and there has not been any incorrect move on their part since then.

Back
Top Bottom