What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Bahram Esfandiari,

For the record, I never said that Boragh was "nothing more than BMP-1 with turret removed." Any basic visual inspection of a Boragh makes it apparent major changes were made internally. I suggested they were built using existing BMP-1 hulls (aka the 'empty shell'). So for me, it's not a question of ability to manufacture the Boragh from scratch but whether it's practical to do it given their age and questionable usefulness on the modern battlefield. I also find it odd who infrequently we see BMP-1s publicly compared to the BMP-2s, even though their respective inventories are THAT much different.

When you say "built using existing BMP-1 hulls that automatically means that the Turret has been removed from the BMP-1 and it's hull is used as the platform for the Boraq. I have seen no evidence of this. I do how ever posses a page from a Jane's Defence weekly Magazine showing no less than 15 incomplete boraq hulls (without the driver's and crew commanders positions cut out of the hull). The reason why we see more frequent pictures of BMP-2s than BMP-1s is simple. Iran has a larger fleet of BMP-2s than BMP-1s and they are more modern than the BMP-1s which means that anytime units Both Army and IRGC equipped with T-72S MBTs are photographed on exercise we see they are supported by BMP-2s but the one time that an Army unit equipped with M-60 MBTs was photographed one exercise, they were supported by Mechanised Infantry equipped with BMP-1s.

Bahram Esfandiari,

Except you belittled my description by adding the phrase "nothing more than..". By doing so, you made my description of a possible BMP-1/Boragh conversion process sound like a small/simple feat, which was definitely NOT what I said (it would be like me saying Iran's T-55/Type-59 upgrade was a simple affair). You seem to know how to use the quote feature here in the forum, so please use it instead of putting words in my mouth.

To the image you speak of: well by all means, get yourself a scanned copy and share it!

As the issue of inventory difference. Problem with that idea is, at least according to open source information (like the SIPRI import/export database), the difference between BMP-1s and BMP-2 inventories isn't likely that different. According to SIPRI, Iran received a total of ~600 BMP-1s during the 1980s (I misspoke earlier, as they were NOT part of the Shah's 1960s purchases form the USSR). Due to the ongoing war, it's likely at least some of these didn't survive the war but it's hard to know exactly how many. Most of these were however delivered between 1986-1989, so IMO a guess of at least half (~300) surviving is a good bet. Compare that to the ~400 BMP-2/kits delivered to Iran by Russia before they reneged on the contract (supposed to be 2000 total units). Not that big of an inventory difference.

Assuming those numbers are true, and as you eluded to, it's possible the BMP-1s are simply relegated to lower-priority units which aren't often chosen to be on parade or be photographed during exercises.

Bahram Esfandiari,

Except you belittled my description by adding the phrase "nothing more than..". By doing so, you made my description of a possible BMP-1/Boragh conversion process sound like a small/simple feat, which was definitely NOT what I said (it would be like me saying Iran's T-55/Type-59 upgrade was a simple affair). You seem to know how to use the quote feature here in the forum, so please use it instead of putting words in my mouth.

To the image you speak of: well by all means, get yourself a scanned copy and share it!

As the issue of inventory difference. Problem with that idea is, at least according to open source information (like the SIPRI import/export database), the difference between BMP-1s and BMP-2 inventories isn't likely that different. According to SIPRI, Iran received a total of ~600 BMP-1s during the 1980s (I misspoke earlier, as they were NOT part of the Shah's 1960s purchases form the USSR). Due to the ongoing war, it's likely at least some of these didn't survive the war but it's hard to know exactly how many. Most of these were however delivered between 1986-1989, so IMO a guess of at least half (~300) surviving is a good bet. Compare that to the ~400 BMP-2/kits delivered to Iran by Russia before they reneged on the contract (supposed to be 2000 total units). Not that big of an inventory difference.

Assuming those numbers are true, and as you eluded to, it's possible the BMP-1s are simply relegated to lower-priority units which aren't often chosen to be on parade or be photographed during exercises.

I apologize for putting words in your mouth. I just wanted to get the point across that the boraqh family of Armoured Vehicles which include APC/IFV/Mortar carrier/Ammo carrier and Toophan ATGW Launcher are indigenous vehicles made made by the Defence Industry Organization(DIO), not from converted existing stock of BMP-1s.

In regards to the Image, I'm basically a caveman when it comes to technology but I'll try to have it scanned and post it hear for you in the near future.

Last edited:
Bahram Esfandiari,

It's no worries, I completely understand where you coming from/the point you were emphasizing.

Don't go jumping through any crazy hoops concerning the image, just if you happen to be around a photocopier with an email option or something...

On a side note, was going to post that Word Doc version of the SIPRI data I mentioned but apparently DOCX files are not an allowed extension. In that case, if anyone needs any help using SIPRI's online database to pull their own data, I'll be more than glad to walk them through it via PMs.

1931476.jpg

new sniper rifle nasr and ak 113 iran made

Looks like a copy of the AK-103s Iran bought from Russia.
Yes,its very weird to put it mildly that iran went for that option despite having a pretty vibrant small arms industry and unveiling several prototypes assault rifle designs of it own that looked to be very good,just recently for instance iran unveiled a colt m4 copy that had been fitted with a gas piston system,in addition why go for a russian antimaterial rifle as well when iran at last count had at least 5 different types of these,4 of them indigenous that were either being tested or in service.

Iran Nasr sniper rifle, 133 Kalashnikov rifle & Wasi-1, Nasr-2 radios سلاح کلاشینکف ۱۳۳/ نصر۷/۱۲
سلاح کلاشینکف ۱۳۳/تک تیرانداز نصر۷/۱۲
جدیدترین کلاشینکف و سلاح تک‌تیرانداز ایرانی رونمایی شدند
به گزارش گروه دفاعی خبرگزاری تسنیم، در مراسم نهمین جشنواره حضرت علی اکبر علیه السلام(جوان سرباز) با حضور سردار سرتیپ پاسدار حسین دهقان وزیر دفاع و پشتیبانی نیروهای مسلح، سلاح های انفرادی کلاشینکف 133، سلاح تک تیرانداز 7/12 میلیمتری نصر، رادیو نرم افزار مالتی باند حمایلی واسع 1 و نصر2 توسط سربازان نمونه رونمایی شد.
رادیو نرم افزار مالتی باند حمایلی واسع 1 و نصر2 از دسته رادیوهای امن تاکتیکی،کوچک و سبک با قابلیت برقراری ارتباطات صوت و دیتا در حالت فرکانس ثابت و جهش فرکانس می باشد و قابلیت برقراری ارتباط با انواع رادیوهای آنالوگ را دارد.
لاح انفرادی کلاشینکف 133 به درخواست سپاه پاسداران انقلاب اسلامی طراحی و ساخته شده و دارای کیفیت، دقت و از اطمینان بالایی برخوردار است، همچنین سلاح تک تیرانداز12.7 میلیمتری به درخواست و سفارش نیروی زمینی سپاه طراحی و ساخته شده و دارای قدرت و دقت بالایی است.
http://tn.ai/1401127

بوسه وزیر دفاع بر دست سرباز نمونه جانباز ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران
http://mod.gov.ir/news/بوسه-وزیر-دفاع-بر-دست-سرباز-نمونه-جانباز-ارتش-جمهوری-اسلامی-ایران

The 12.7-millimeter sniper rifle (Nasr نصر) was designed and manufactured on a request by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' Ground Forces.

A new Kalashnikov 133 rifle, designed and manufactured upon a request by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, was also unveiled during the event.

A series of domestically-made multiband software-defined radio transmitters was also introduced with the capability of establishing voice and data connection in both fixed and variable frequency modes.

Last edited:
Iran Nasr sniper rifle, 133 Kalashnikov rifle & Wasi-1, Nasr-2 radios سلاح کلاشینکف ۱۳۳/ نصر۷/۱۲
سلاح کلاشینکف ۱۳۳/تک تیرانداز نصر۷/۱۲
جدیدترین کلاشینکف و سلاح تک‌تیرانداز ایرانی رونمایی شدند
به گزارش گروه دفاعی خبرگزاری تسنیم، در مراسم نهمین جشنواره حضرت علی اکبر علیه السلام(جوان سرباز) با حضور سردار سرتیپ پاسدار حسین دهقان وزیر دفاع و پشتیبانی نیروهای مسلح، سلاح های انفرادی کلاشینکف 133، سلاح تک تیرانداز 7/12 میلیمتری نصر، رادیو نرم افزار مالتی باند حمایلی واسع 1 و نصر2 توسط سربازان نمونه رونمایی شد.
رادیو نرم افزار مالتی باند حمایلی واسع 1 و نصر2 از دسته رادیوهای امن تاکتیکی،کوچک و سبک با قابلیت برقراری ارتباطات صوت و دیتا در حالت فرکانس ثابت و جهش فرکانس می باشد و قابلیت برقراری ارتباط با انواع رادیوهای آنالوگ را دارد.
لاح انفرادی کلاشینکف 133 به درخواست سپاه پاسداران انقلاب اسلامی طراحی و ساخته شده و دارای کیفیت، دقت و از اطمینان بالایی برخوردار است، همچنین سلاح تک تیرانداز12.7 میلیمتری به درخواست و سفارش نیروی زمینی سپاه طراحی و ساخته شده و دارای قدرت و دقت بالایی است.
http://tn.ai/1401127

بوسه وزیر دفاع بر دست سرباز نمونه جانباز ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران
http://mod.gov.ir/news/بوسه-وزیر-دفاع-بر-دست-سرباز-نمونه-جانباز-ارتش-جمهوری-اسلامی-ایران

The 12.7-millimeter sniper rifle (Nasr نصر) was designed and manufactured on a request by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' Ground Forces.

A new Kalashnikov 133 rifle, designed and manufactured upon a request by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, was also unveiled during the event.

A series of domestically-made multiband software-defined radio transmitters was also introduced with the capability of establishing voice and data connection in both fixed and variable frequency modes.
These look more like license produced russian designs or maybe copies,the "ak133" looks virtually the same as the ak103 apart from a couple of rails and a bipod and a couple of other cosmetic differences

Back
Top Bottom