What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Sobhan,

Good stuff, you found a proper pic of this new kit. I only got a screenshot from the main parade vid.

From the angles in the video, I wasn't even sure when Patton this was a upgrade kit for. Even without see the sign though, it definitely looks to be a M47-based design.

This is a major improvement IMHO compared to the first images of the Tiam from a year or so ago. It looks like a more complete and finished product.

The turret is definitely an interesting design. It's noticeably wider than the Tiam's 1st turret concept. A general consensus on the net was that the Tiam uses a recycled T-55 type turret (definitely not a modified M47 turret, much too short). This new design is wider like a T-55 turret but of the wrong shape (more gradual slope to the sides).

My question is: Is that a single cast-turret or are these new sections bolt-on/modular in nature? I ask because notice how there are ERA tiles near the top of the turret that appear to be nearly flush, aka they aren't attached on the outside of the turret but set inside of it somehow. Very interesting..

NewPattonKit.JPG
ImprovedTiam2017.jpg
Tiam1.jpg

Last edited:
ALCON,

At 2:17, we see Iranian engineers finally found something to do with those surplus BMP-1 turrets at the end of the Boragh Rebuilt process (in which BMP-1s are completely rebuilt into Boragh APC/IFVs/etc). It even has the launch rail for the original 9K11 ATGM (built in Iran as the Raad family of ATGMs).

This is a very practical and smart upgrade for the BTR-60PBs (in my opinion, far superior to the 90mm "wheeled" tank concept). It's also a tried and true one. Gives the BTR a major upgrade in fire power without adding too much extra weight to the body (which in turn means you don't have to install a new powerplant, not that the BTR's original engines were any good but still..).

At around 2:44, we see a unique shot. A new transport truck is carrying a BMP-2 and a BMP-1 (not yet rebuilt to a Boragh standard clearly). I wasn't sure how many original BMP-1s were still floating around the IRIA.

No clue on what the deal is with that first BTR modification they show in the video (see I just watch them, as listening doesn't do me any good). Any hints from the audio on what those tubes are launching?

AmirPatriot,

Ok, that's MUCH better detail.

So, to me at least, it definitely doesn't look to be a single cast turret (aka it's not a solid turret) with ERA tiles attached. It looks like a ring-shaped add-on section is attached to the turret and it's purpose (best guess) is to hold the ERA tiles in that specificconfiguration. This makes the completed turret considerably wider than the original configuration we saw on the Tiam.

I'd still love to see what the original Tiam's turret looked like under the ERA tiles so I'd have a better idea of where they started..

Thanks!

ALCON,

At 2:17, we see Iranian engineers finally found something to do with those surplus BMP-1 turrets at the end of the Boragh Rebuilt process (in which BMP-1s are completely rebuilt into Boragh APC/IFVs/etc). It even has the launch rail for the original 9K11 ATGM (built in Iran as the Raad family of ATGMs).
The Boraqh apc is built based on the BMP-1 hull design much like the Chinese Type-86 apc. They are not BMP-1 "rebuilds" as you claim. There were pictures printed in Jane's Defence Weekly magazine from the late 1990s that showed 14 incomplete boraqh hulls sitting on a factory floor. Were do you get your claim that they are rebuilt BMP-1s?

The Boraqh apc is built based on the BMP-1 hull design much like the Chinese Type-86 apc. They are not BMP-1 "rebuilds" as you claim. There were pictures printed in Jane's Defence Weekly magazine from the late 1990s that showed 14 incomplete boraqh hulls sitting on a factory floor. Were do you get your claim that they are rebuilt BMP-1s?
@Barham Esfandiari,
For the same reason Iran is attempting to upgrade T72 in Karrar or same reason they show a Tiam upgrade. If I am not mistaken original BMP1 was received from the Soviets while your king was still in power. Since then iran procured perhaps hundreds from Syria and Libya during the war against Iraq. Iran has desperate need for equipment and they try to upgrade what they have. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that they show projects but years later they still have a prototype. Probably because most of funding is allocated for IRGC and Artesh can't do much with the scraps.hence the comical project like the Aghrab which was a BTR60 with an M47 turret cut out. Simply Artesh is trying it's best to operate with the leftover scraps IRGC left them.

Barham Esfandiari,

My apologies, I should explain.

Back in the day when those videos of the Boragh assembly process came out, I put up the theory the video could be interpreted as a conversion process for Iran's existing stock of BMP-1s (consisting of a good number captured from Iraq and some imported from the Soviets in the late 1960s), which made good sense to me at least. The hulls seen in the videos, at least in my eyes, didn't look newly manufactured. The BMP-1 usefulness in its original form was already very much faded and why build all new APC/IFV/Mortar Carriers/ATGM platforms when you can recycle existing stocks? I had no doubt Iran COULD build the Boragh's from scratch but I wondered if that was very practical at the time. It also helped explain why BMP-1s were so rarely seen compared to the only somewhat more numerous BMP-2s.

Today, the only "proof" I could point to is this up-armed BTR-60PB sporting a BMP-1 turret (completely with 9K11 launch rail). Since none of the Boragh variants offered for sale have ever included a BMP-1 turret, one can assume it's been recycled and if this is meant as a serious upgrade for the BTRs, they're going to need more turrets right? Unless of course they already had a stockpile of them, perhaps due to them being converted into Boraghs?

But that's all just theory and I apologize for insinuating otherwise.

Sobhan,

Good stuff, you found a proper pic of this new kit. I only got a screenshot from the main parade vid.

From the angles in the video, I wasn't even sure when Patton this was a upgrade kit for. Even without see the sign though, it definitely looks to be a M47-based design.

This is a major improvement IMHO compared to the first images of the Tiam from a year or so ago. It looks like a more complete and finished product.

The turret is definitely an interesting design. It's noticeably wider than the Tiam's 1st turret concept. A general consensus on the net was that the Tiam uses a recycled T-55 type turret (definitely not a modified M47 turret, much too short). This new design is wider like a T-55 turret but of the wrong shape (more gradual slope to the sides).

My question is: Is that a single cast-turret or are these new sections bolt-on/modular in nature? I ask because notice how there are ERA tiles near the top of the turret that appear to be nearly flush, aka they aren't attached on the outside of the turret but set inside of it somehow. Very interesting..

View attachment 391612 View attachment 391611 View attachment 391613

You guys should work on the aesthetic of your stuff man. I am getting a really retro 70s vibe from all the Labels.

Do you guys have a nicer font version of Farsi?

@Barham Esfandiari,
For the same reason Iran is attempting to upgrade T72 in Karrar or same reason they show a Tiam upgrade. If I am not mistaken original BMP1 was received from the Soviets while your king was still in power. Since then iran procured perhaps hundreds from Syria and Libya during the war against Iraq. Iran has desperate need for equipment and they try to upgrade what they have. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that they show projects but years later they still have a prototype. Probably because most of funding is allocated for IRGC and Artesh can't do much with the scraps.hence the comical project like the Aghrab which was a BTR60 with an M47 turret cut out. Simply Artesh is trying it's best to operate with the leftover scraps IRGC left them.

Boraq APC is produced by DOD and is in service with both the Army and the IRGC. BMP-1s are still in service with the Army disproving the theory that Boraq is nothing more than BMP-1 with turret removed.

Bahram Esfandiari,

For the record, I never said that Boragh was "nothing more than BMP-1 with turret removed." Any basic visual inspection of a Boragh makes it apparent major changes were made internally. I suggested they were built using existing BMP-1 hulls (aka the 'empty shell'). So for me, it's not a question of ability to manufacture the Boragh from scratch but whether it's practical to do it given their age and questionable usefulness on the modern battlefield. I also find it odd who infrequently we see BMP-1s publicly compared to the BMP-2s, even though their respective inventories are THAT much different.

Back
Top Bottom