What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

I personally have never seen this vehicle which could be a light tank, the chassis seems to be derived from the Iranian-made armored personnel carrier Boragh, on which they have installed a turret armed with a cannon that looks like the one installed on the 6x6 armored car Cascavel ( a 90 mm EC-90 made in Brazil under Cockerill license ).
14020129000426638174167963092700_90842_PhotoT~2.jpg

request :
1) the designation of this light tank
2) the cannon is actually the 90 mm of the Cascavel armored cars and if it has been reproduced by the Iranian industry. Thanks in advance for your answers.
3) è un prototipo oppure è prodotto in serie ed è già in servizio

I personally have never seen this vehicle which could be a light tank, the chassis seems to be derived from the Iranian-made armored personnel carrier Boragh, on which they have installed a turret armed with a cannon that looks like the one installed on the 6x6 armored car Cascavel ( a 90 mm EC-90 made in Brazil under Cockerill license ).
View attachment 925468
request :
1) the designation of this light tank
2) the cannon is actually the 90 mm of the Cascavel armored cars and if it has been reproduced by the Iranian industry. Thanks in advance for your answers.
3) è un prototipo oppure è prodotto in serie ed è già in servizio
I`ve found another pic,its basically from the same angle tho just without the camo.
11.jpg

The oryx site lists it as "unknown light tank",which is a big fvcking help....

I`ve found a picture of it on its transporter.Can anyone translate the writing on the front of the transporter,just in case thats its name.
170317049.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about the others, but I can't see the attached photo
Have another look,I ended up having to attach it as a file,as for some reason it wouldnt show the pic via its web address even tho it showed up in the preview of the post......weird

I`ve found another pic,its basically from the same angle tho just without the camo.
11.jpg

I`ve found a picture of it on its transporter.Can anyone translate the writing on the front of the transporter,just in case thats its name.
View attachment 925485

that "light tank" has been always marked as "Uknown light tank" by experts.

but after doing some research about it myself some years ago

i came to the conclusion that this is a

PT-76​

with some added side armor and turret armor + smoke grenade launchers. likely firing system upgraded too.

basicly a "modernized pt-76"

300px-Verkhnyaya_Pyshma_Tank_Museum_2012_0181.jpg

but they around for a time now , they wont use them in combat roles, just appears sometimes in parades to fill the 2-3 hour long parade with stuff to see. (old and new armor)

Last edited:
we never bought PT-76 but Iraq did so im kinda sure those are PT-76 we captured in the Iran-Iraq War,

must be one of earlier modernization "Test projects" by our army, long time abandoned but still appear in parades to fill the 2-3 hours mark with armor and show some earlier projects they worked on.

that "light tank" has been always marked as "Uknown light tank" by experts.

but after doing some research about it myself some years ago

i came to the conclusion that its 100% a

PT-76​

with some added side armor and turret armor + smoke grenade launchers. likely firing system upgraded too.

basicly a "modernized pt-76"

300px-Verkhnyaya_Pyshma_Tank_Museum_2012_0181.jpg

but they around for a time now , they wont use them in combat roles, just appears sometimes in parades to fill the 2-3 hour long parade with stuff to see. (old and new armor)
it's not a PT-76,
the PT-76 has a rear engine while the one we are discussing has a front engine (note exhaust pipe), the turret is absolutely not the same and the gun is identical to that of the 6x6 Cascavel.
moreover the wheels are those of the Boragh

Boraghs have 8 wheels and are obviously larger in size and width

boragh.jpg

this "Light tank" has 7 and smaller in size.
14020129000426638174167963092700_90842_photot-2-jpg.925468

either its a captured PT76 modified

or an older version of this BTR-50 modernization by the iranian army

EbhLQiUWAA4I9U8.jpg

but even this have 8 wheels,

only 7 wheels are early PTR 76 models like the ones iraqi`s used.

also the light tank (the one we are talking about) is clearly smaller then boragh in size, more compareable to PTR76 or BTR-50

i still stick to captured PTR-76 with modified turret + side armor, even a BTR-50 seems more plausible then boragh.

I maintain the hypothesis that the frame is (as I wrote) derived from the Boragh, I didn't write it is that of the Boragh.
The PT-76 and BTR-50 are both rear-engined, while the light tank we are talking about is front-engined.
Probably only an official statement can remove any doubts.

Hypothesis by hypothesis, it could also be an evolution of the "Tosan" light tank, with a larger chassis and a different armor profile, these modifications certainly lead it to be heavier and longer and therefore the need to add a more wheel to keep the specific weight on the ground almost unchanged
Islamic_Republic_of_Iran_Army_Day_2013_(125).jpg

new version made by them also using components already in production.

11.jpg

View attachment 925485
Translation of the signs :

The first photo.
Design and production of Rapid Reaction Tank

second photo:
Shahid Zin-o-din Research institute

both signs have logo of IRGC self sufficiency organization

So they refer to this tank as RRT:undecided::undecided:

Not even the Z-3 that looks like a Z-2.

Because army is poor and likes to show obsolete toys. Also some still in the military have a fascination with Z-3 instead of Russian tank ecosystem.

Fact is no one gave funding or a contract for it so it died. A Test bed project that never went past a few prototypes.
We made good fun of these back in the day, they make North Korean tanks look technologically advanced now.

TBH I don't blame them, if I was a politician and they brought this prototype to me, I wouldn't give any funding either :) Still, you have to make some things.

interesting enlarged BMP thing

I maintain the hypothesis that the frame is (as I wrote) derived from the Boragh, I didn't write it is that of the Boragh.
The PT-76 and BTR-50 are both rear-engined, while the light tank we are talking about is front-engined.
Probably only an official statement can remove any doubts.

Hypothesis by hypothesis, it could also be an evolution of the "Tosan" light tank, with a larger chassis and a different armor profile, these modifications certainly lead it to be heavier and longer and therefore the need to add a more wheel to keep the specific weight on the ground almost unchangedView attachment 925508
new version made by them also using components already in production.
Looks like british schimitar was it? Looks cool actually, obviously a bit larger than those british vehicles.

Looks very familiar yet so strange, it's bugging me.

Ah so Tosan IS based on FV 101 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosan_tank nevermind I'm sorry

But you're right, those two both have 5 wheels on each side and FWD, seems like there's a relation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom