What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

What good is a Kornet/Dehlaveah Atgm going to be against a Modern MBT with aps?

There’s ATGM that can break APS. You should probably educate yourself on that, not to mention drones and suicide drones.

Again your argument lacks basis whatsoever. Iran has no need for luxury tanks, APCs, IFVs for next decade, that money is better set for Air Force, drones, navy, etc.

Wasteful spending is the trademark of banana countries and western armies.

So the only threat to some heavy tanks rolling into Khuzestan and holding Iranian oil hostage is a full US land invasion of Iran, which again I just told you is very very unlikely as the amount of troops and weapons required would be enormously costly war ($5T+)
The USA are experts at amphibious invasions, and all they'd need to do is hold Khuzestan.

While Iran is equipped with the important tools like suicide drones and ATGMs to deal a blow, I'm somewhat skeptical of Iran being able to push out US troops from the area.

You're right about prioritization, and land forces aren't a priority because it's the least likely situation compared to conventional US air and naval campaign.

The USA are experts at amphibious invasions, and all they'd need to do is hold Khuzestan.

While Iran is equipped with the important tools like suicide drones and ATGMs to deal a blow, I'm somewhat skeptical of Iran being able to push out US troops from the area.

You're right about prioritization, and land forces aren't a priority because it's the least likely situation compared to conventional US air and naval campaign.
Makes me wonder if Iran has hardened up the area similar to the Korean dmz or might do so in the future. There is also the evil pan demons in the area to have to deal with as seen in Mahshahr a while back.

Are those AK-74s?
Or 103's.
Getting hard to tell these days.
AK 74 is AKM upgrade with adoption 5.45 x 39 caliber.... AK-74M is 4th generation of AK-74, and AK-103 is literary AK-74M adopted for 7.62 x 39 munition...

The US nor anyone has the capacity or desire for ANY sustained land operation against Iran. I've also questioned before the need for tanks or land invasion utilities. Same goes with Airforce and retro toys like F-35s. That's not where conflicts are headed. Besides, if you give any credit to Iranian military thinkers (which I do), the proof of the needs and redundancies are in the pudding. Old tanks, flying tin cans, etc. Wars are drones, AI, and secondary conflicts. All Iranian-ware are visibly geared with those. The discussions of tanks and airforces is old and no longer applicable. Iran has leapfrogged war strategy and correctly.

Last edited:
If US does a land invasion of Iran using mechanized armour that means they won the war over control of airspace. Which if that is true, it doesn’t matter what fancy tank Iran has they are sitting ducks trying to attack an opposing attack force that has full control of the air.

Which again is why tanks are wasteful spending. Too many people on this board still have memories of 20th century wars as how wars play out. Doesn’t work that way

Makes me wonder if Iran has hardened up the area similar to the Korean dmz or might do so in the future. There is also the evil pan demons in the area to have to deal with as seen in Mahshahr a while back.
As far as I'm aware, their isn't any hardened coastal defenses in that province and no future plans to do so. Probably because it's not worth while these days in 21st century warfare.

This is a wrong and dangerous mentality to have. Although most of Iran's territory can be considered as a "mountain fortress", the Khuzestan plains where the majority of Iran's oil fields are located are very vulnerable to modern armoured warfare considering Iranian armour is generally very outdated. Political situation can change very quickly, Its not important that today there is not much of a threat. the Important thing is to have a viable defense against any future threat that may arise in the future.
Against armors you use attack helicopter or drones or cas aircrafts . its somehow outdated to pit armor against armor .
In 8 year war with iraq 4 iranian apachi with their tows managed to stop the advance of 80 iraqi tank toward dezful and saved the city and its garrison.

Against armors you use attack helicopter or drones or cas aircrafts . its somehow outdated to pit armor against armor .
In 8 year war with iraq 4 iranian apachi with their tows managed to stop the advance of 80 iraqi tank toward dezful and saved the city and its garrison.
Good luck trying to take out an MBT with trophy APS with sub sonic ATGMs!

There’s ATGM that can break APS. You should probably educate yourself
Name one?

Luckily for Iran, our military is not as short sighted as some here on this forum! That is why the Army was working on Zolfagar series MBTs (even though they never went into mass production) and the Defense Industries Organization (DIO) developed the Karrar MBT ( which is in production and will soon be going into service with the Artesh and possibly Sepah as well). The military in Iran knows the importance of Modern MBTs on the battle field and I hope that with the new level of economic and military cooperation that Iran is going to have with China Iran will be able to afford to field them in more numbers and will be able to get at least 2nd if not 3rd generation Thermal Optics and modern APDSFS tech transfers from China.

Last edited:
Good luck trying to take out an MBT with trophy APS with sub sonic ATGMs!
that time there was no trophy like system . so tow was sufficient then today there is trophy yes but anti tank munition have also made their advances and also flight path is important too
and still the answer is the same going against Tanks with Tanks is so WW2, the tactic is outdated and in efficient and waste of resources .
if you want to do the attack and occupy your opponent lands then tank still have there uses but other wise no they are mostly useless (and that use is become paler day after day)
an leopard 2 worth about 6milion dollar an A1M2 between 6 to 8 million Dollar, just think with those money how many mohajer 6 you can build made your guess 10 - 20 ? even if each carry 2 Qaem bomb and be one time use only its clear which one is better investment defending against enemy armors

Last edited:
that time there was no trophy like system . so tow was sufficient then today there is trophy yes but anti tank munition have also made their advances and also flight path is important too
and still the answer is the same going against Tanks with Tanks is so WW2, the tactic is outdated and in efficient and waste of resources .
if you want to do the attack and occupy your opponent lands then tank still have there uses but other wise no they are mostly useless (and that use is become paler day after day)

Iran's military doctrine has switched from a defensive posture to an offensive posture and the proof is the offensive exercises that Iran has been conducting starting in 2018.

If US does a land invasion of Iran using mechanized armour that means they won the war over control of airspace. Which if that is true, it doesn’t matter what fancy tank Iran has they are sitting ducks trying to attack an opposing attack force that has full control of the air.

Which again is why tanks are wasteful spending. Too many people on this board still have memories of 20th century wars as how wars play out. Doesn’t work that way

That is true if the U.S. has control of the airspace. Do they have war plans on invading Iran, yes. Are they going to? No, not unless Iran gives them a really good reason to do so. People talk about how helpless the Armenian military is against the drones and so on, but you can see something like that happened during Gulf War 1 bombing Iraqi vehicles or creating the Highway of Death. Or during Gulf War 2 with drones against the insurgents putting IEDs and attacks on U.S. bases and so on. They adapt tactics to not bunch up in large groups or launch rockets from afar without being detected. But it prevents them from acting as a large army unit.

Iran's military doctrine has switched from a defensive posture to an offensive posture and the proof is the offensive exercises that Iran has been conducting starting in 2018.
offensive against what and as I say if you use tanks in offensive configuration then your enemy will use drones and attack helicopter against them and then you will loose those tanks . tanks only useful for offensive if you have complete air dominance and is destroying enemy position from Sky

offensive against what and as I say if you use tanks in offensive configuration then your enemy will use drones and attack helicopter against them and then you will loose those tanks . tanks only useful for offensive if you have complete air dominance and is destroying enemy position from Sky

You better get in touch with Iran's military higher ups and let them know that!

You better get in touch with Iran's military higher ups and let them know that!
there is a reason that they ordered less than 200 karrar tank and on other hand on each unveiling you see tens of drones being delivered to them . so I guess they are on the right track and there is no need for me to contact them . why not you contact them and ask them why they don't order more tanks , why while you are at it , don't ask them when those Karrar tanks are going to be delivered to armed forces ?

Back
Top Bottom