What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

You can't create a stamped steel design (G-3, AKM, AK-103) for it, nor a non-complex fast to manufacture milled design (AR-18, Zolfaghar).

But Iran has been manufacturing AR-15 since the 2000's, despite its higher cost upper receiver. However I have doubts they would use this expensive design to replace the G-3, because to build 100.000s service rifles you better produce fast and low cost.
@PeeD
When I left industrial mechanical engineering for Computer science as an Analyst, there was around 1999. Since this date, there is more than 20 years . Could you imagine what does it means @PeeD? 20 years nowadays represents another world @PeeD. It was classical machining Milling, Lathe, and Boring. When U do this, in fact, U trigger slight modifications of mechanical properties, because U snatch fibers. It is not a natural process, because when U do this U trigger thermodynamic reactions, the piece of metal warms up. Since the '90s, there is now a new revolution where China and the West triggered, and Iran took the train. It is called 3D Printer. With 3D Printer there is a new revolution, regarding the properties of metals. Then U do not snatch the fiber of metal, thus the metal could keep its better properties, pieces do have better resistances. -It is too complex for me to explain this in English, as it is not my mother tongue-.
Anyway, there is the Internet, and you can find plenty of useful information on this topic. It is noteworthy to add, Iran is among the top countries in the world regarding 3D Printer, for this reason, I am absolutely sure Iran will design not only its tanks, aircraft, boat, etc...but even its High-speed Train next.

@PeeD
When I left industrial mechanical engineering for Computer science as an Analyst, there was around 1999. Since this date, there is more than 20 years . Could you imagine what does it means @PeeD? 20 years nowadays represents another world @PeeD. It was classical machining Milling, Lathe, and Boring. When U do this, in fact, U trigger slight modifications of mechanical properties, because U snatch fibers. It is not a natural process, because when U do this U trigger thermodynamic reactions, the piece of metal warms up. Since the '90s, there is now a new revolution where China and the West triggered, and Iran took the train. It is called 3D Printer. With 3D Printer there is a new revolution, regarding the properties of metals. Then U do not snatch the fiber of metal, thus the metal could keep its better properties, pieces do have better resistances. -It is too complex for me to explain this in English, as it is not my mother tongue-.
Anyway, there is the Internet, and you can find plenty of useful information on this topic. It is noteworthy to add, Iran is among the top countries in the world regarding 3D Printer, for this reason, I am absolutely sure Iran will design not only its tanks, aircraft, boat, etc...but even its High-speed Train next.

Iran has it all; self produced CNC machines, metal 3D printers.

Thats not what I'm talking about.

Its economic mass production. Fewer production steps, shorter production time, less tool wear.

AKM and AK-103 cost around 200$ in mass production due to their designs, AR-15 at least 600$

Iran produces all three of them, but are the benefits of a M4 worth the 3x times higher price than the AK-103? Bear in mind, you want at least 300.000 of them to re-equip your land forces.

There is no technology breakthrough in the last 50 years that can compete with a stamped steel design or at least a simple geometry milled design (Zolfaghar).

Lets say I have some experiance in this field too.

Its economic mass production. Fewer production steps, shorter production time, less tool wear.

AKM and AK-103 cost around 200$ in mass production due to their designs, AR-15 at least 600$

Iran produces all three of them, but are the benefits of a M4 worth the 3x times higher price than the AK-103? Bear in mind, you want at least 300.000 of them to re-equip your land forces.

There is no technology breakthrough in the last 50 years that can compete with a stamped steel design or at least a simple geometry milled design (Zolfaghar).

Nothing beats stamped production in terms of speed. That’s a given. However in terms of the overall production process, for stamped components you need manual labor for the downstream assembly phase. Creating a bottleneck.
for cnc operated parts on the other hand, these can be much more design for assembly produced and thus enabling a 100% (or nearly) automated production line. The greatest benefit with that is quality assurance since error is reduced because of smaller human factor.

Stop arguing, Iran is going to continue to use AK-47 let’s be real.

Most IRGC soldiers in Syria = ak-47

Most miltiamen in Syria = ak-47

Most arms shipments intercepted going to allies around the world = AK-47

Nothing beats stamped production in terms of speed. That’s a given. However in terms of the overall production process, for stamped components you need manual labor for the downstream assembly phase. Creating a bottleneck.
for cnc operated parts on the other hand, these can be much more design for assembly produced and thus enabling a 100% (or nearly) automated production line. The greatest benefit with that is quality assurance since error is reduced because of smaller human factor.

Also a stamped upper receiver production can be automated, but why if you have workforce that does it cheaper.
Stamped upper receiver are not good for a modern rifle: The picatinny rail for accessories basically needs an milled design.

AKM and AK-103 are still very good rifles for the bulk of the forces and G-3 offers range and punch.

At the high end you have the AR-15 complex, curved geometry upper receiver which needs a multi-axis NC/CNC machine.

Something in between would be hence the best compromise: A simple geometry milled design.

Nothing wrong with that. A good AK is still potent.
The question is whether a new assault rifle, is the main concern of Irans land forces which needs to be changed: No.
Highly professional units can get rifles like 7.62 Masaf and benefit from its extra capabilities.

Also a stamped upper receiver production can be automated,

The actual process, of course. But downstream when it is going to be assembled to other components then it should be more manual intensive compared to multi-axis CNC produced .

but why if you have workforce that does it cheaper.

For me personally, automation is quality assurance. It doesn't have to do what process is cheaper, but if your product has good enough tolerances to be automatically manufactured and assembled then the end product will be much higher. On the other hand if your manufacturing technique is crude and manual adjustments are needed, then basically you are tampering with the end-performance of that specific variant.

Stamped upper receiver are not good for a modern rifle: The picatinny rail for accessories basically needs an milled design.

Here is where I believe that massaf is not necessarily milled. I think that that is a combination of stamped (blue) and profile extrusion + tube laser CNC (yellow) production methods.
1615546767721.jpeg

3ِD printing would only make sense in initial design which would greatly help cutting down R&D costs and even then not for the barrel...
Future of production may be with 3D printing but we are not there yet but knowing that means funding and development of more advanced 3D printers needs to be a priority

Most IRGC soldiers in Syria = ak-47

Most miltiamen in Syria = ak-47

Most arms shipments intercepted going to allies around the world = AK-47
No one is saying IRan wont keep using AK-47, but Iran likely doesnt only need the AK-47...remember you only mentioned "SYria" and abroad when mentionning where Iranian AK 47s go...but what if conflict broke out on Iran's border? What im trying to say is dont get confused between what IRan gives its proxies and what IRan will use for local/national military situations..Iran makes these different guns for different scenarios and contingencies...

I'm all well dear brother. And i hope inshallah you doing well also.

I hope one day i can meet my dearest friends that i found in this forum in real life not only on this cyberspace platform.

@Malik Alashter @Big Tank @B@KH @mohsen @Aramagedon @HAIDER and others.

Be well brothers, may Allah be with you and always keeps you safe under Ali's (AS) wilayah.

Artesh has every right to have a fair share of civil projects, the problem is that they don't have an organzied force like Khatam Al Anbia (pbuh) HQ. And Honestly i don't know why?!!!

inshaAllah brother!! I'm going to meet you for sure when I visit Iran now. You've been my first and the most supportive cyber Iranian friend. Thank you for the blessings. I'm counting days for eating Iranian Chulloo Kebab and having Qahwa sips with you 😁

Nothing wrong with that. A good AK is still potent.

"Good" being the operative word here. Most AKs in Iran's stock are imported/domestically produced versions of the Chinese Type 56 AK, which has quite a poor reputation. AK-103 and MASAF-2 have to eradicate these lower quality weapons from Iran's armed forces and they should only be held in reserve.

As for cost of MASAF-2; I think the army has suffered enough with underbudgeting. And you have always made a big deal about Iran's ability to control cost of manufacture. Given this rifle will likely equip the army for a few decades I think the additional cost is justified.

"Good" being the operative word here. Most AKs in Iran's stock are imported/domestically produced versions of the Chinese Type 56 AK, which has quite a poor reputation. AK-103 and MASAF-2 have to eradicate these lower quality weapons from Iran's armed forces and they should only be held in reserve.

As for cost of MASAF-2; I think the army has suffered enough with underbudgeting. And you have always made a big deal about Iran's ability to control cost of manufacture. Given this rifle will likely equip the army for a few decades I think the additional cost is justified.

Type 56 of younger production have a bad reputation.
Often because Licenses to Shitholes in which they even made the Iron Sight in the wrong direction.
Honestly the newer produced ones, even from China are worse compared to older produced rifles, because back then it was the standard weapon for PLA too. When they had alternatives the Chinese gave a damn about the Type 56.

The main "AK" from Vietnam War was the Type 56, very few AK"-47", Type II and Type III.
Early and then main production Type 56 were the most common "AK".
Or look into Afghanistan. 90s/early 2000s.
Northern Alliance AK-47 (late Type) and many more AKM, Taliban = Type 56.

I don't know about the quality of Iran's AKM clones. I also don't know how much Iranian conscript Army soldiers are trained how the zero it and take care of it.

So there may either be discipline issues or manufacturing quality issues, but none of them is the fault of the AKM design.

Confirmed by who? US? Iran? Neither party is commenting on the DU work IRGC has done and for good reason since uranium metal can be used in the core of a nuclear weapon even if their is difference between DU armour and other uranium metal work .

I remember reading about it thru a western source with sources claiming that Iran will join the DU tank club soon with its experiments on DU. I wished I saved it at the time, but it seemed not that news worthy.

But for some reason Iran never unveiled it just like they never unveiled their APS system that was caught in a couple of photos.

DU isn’t as difficult as you make it seem. The issue is the cost benefit analysis of deploying such systems on the environment and tank crew. Since nearly all of Iran’s tanks will be used in Iran, hard to see Iran approving DU tank shells that are so harmful to the environment. Meanwhile US fights far away from their home so it could care less about polluting another counties environment.

Like I said cost benefit analysis.
Wish you can post that link about Iran will join the club in experimenting DU and armor.

Back
Top Bottom