What's new

Iranian Arabs

@Irajgholi

I already said that it is probably about 50/50 today. Due to recent migrations into Khuzestan after the oil and gas was found. Yes, I also know that it was one of the worst hit areas during the Iran-Iraq war and I also know about the population and the extremely hot weather. Ahwaz is known as one of the hottest cities in the world. The by far hottest region of the ME during summers is basically Kuwait, Ahwaz and Southern Iraq.

Yes, I also know about the poverty and I expect that the same is the case with the Southern provinces of Iran such as Pars and the coastal ones were Arabs live. I am not sure about the condition of the Khorasani Arabs or those found in Qom or Mashhad.

But Khuzestan province has quite a lot of interesting artifacts and historical sites dating back to the indigenious Elamites. One of the richest provinces of Iran in terms of that.

Yes, the Arabs, considering their numbers, seem to have had quite a few big positions even before the 1979 revolution and they also seem to have had many famous and ancient figures that have enriched Iran.

Likewise they were among the first lines of defense against Saddam's Iraq together with the Kurds and Lurs I believe so they have also shown their loyalty. Most are also fellow Shias at least those in Khuzestan.
But overall I first started to read about them in the last few days. What I have wrote is just what I have heard from people, what Iranians told in this thread (Serpentine a local of the Khuzestan Province) and what I have seen on Arabic and Persian sources. I also knew a bit about the Hola group (Sunni Muslim Persians, Lurs and Iranian Arabs that moved from the southern areas of Iran into the Gulf). Some were Baluch too. Although most of the non-nationals in Oman are Baluch's.

Oh I did not know about that, in Pakistan Al-qureishi is also a surname but it denotes Arab ancestry and not lineage to the Prophet itself. When the Arabs conquered Sindh of Pakistan many Sheikhs came over to try and spread Islam their descendants are called Qurieshi.

Bro we gotta go convert those Syeds of Taiwan back to Islam it is blasphemous that they do not know the religion of their forefather. :P Me and you we out one day. :rofl:

No, Al-Qureishi does not necessarily mean that they are from Sadah families but some are. It basically just means that you belong to the Quraysh tribe. LOL.

You talking about those? The Ding family?

@Wholegrain introduced them to me and he knows a lot about them. Notice that the narrator talks about Arabs and Persians going to China.

many o our surnames are similar to armenians, why is that? we have lots of "Ians"

Parthian influence. Armenian language is extremely influenced by the Parthians.

But I've read that the 'Ian' suffix is one of the oldest Indo-European suffixes there is. It basically means 'son or daughter of' or simply 'from ….'.

Note that you even see it in European languages, like in English:

Russian.
Italian.
Arabian.

Which basically means someone from a particular place.

@al-Hasani Yeah, true, actually many Khuzestanis/Ahwazis also migrated to Tehran/Esfahan (especially in Shahin Shar), Shiraz, cities with better weather condition in general. Not only because of the weather, but also because of the war, Khuezstan was hit hard during the war. I would say still haven't recovered thanks to poor management.

@Surenas

Is "Chian" not Armenian? Or at least "ian"? Pour and Nezhad/Nejad are the ones that I have noticed the most. "Gan" also. That's about it. Gan I have also seen in Turkey. ErdoGAN. That ending sounds Mongoloid to me.

What about Lurs? They seem like a interesting bunch. Like the archaic Persians. Something about their dialect being the "most pure" as well. Most of the people of an Iranian or mixed Iranian ancestry in the Arab world are either Persians or Lurs. Many Lurs migrated to the Arabian Peninsula to do trade. Some stayed.

@al-Hasani Yes but in Pakistan Qurieshi are just Arab lineage, Sadah use Syed surname in front of first name. Must be different place to place.

Yeah the dings we gotta go meet them up. :rofl:

@Surenas

Is "Chian" not Armenian? Or at least "ian"?

Armenians took it from the Iranian language.

Pour and Nezhad/Nejad are the ones that I have noticed the most. "Gan" also. That's about it.

Zade is quite popular as well. 'Gan' is plural suffix in Persian, like 'at' in Arabic.

What about Lurs? They seem like a interesting bunch. Like the archaic Persians. Something about their dialect being the "most pure" as well. Most of the people of an Iranian or mixed Iranian ancestry in the Arab world are either Persians or Lurs. Many Lurs migrated to the Arabian Peninsula to do trade. Some stayed.

Lurs are extremely nationalistic. Yesterday there were protests by Bakthiaris (Lori tribe) against insults in an Iranian series against them, and many of them went out to the streets with banners saying that they are the original Iranians.

Zade is quite popular as well. 'Gan' is plural suffix in Persian, like 'at' in Arabic.

Lurs are extremely nationalistic. Yesterday there were protests by Bakthiaris (Lori tribe) against insults in an Iranian series against them, and many of them went out to the streets with banners saying that they are the original Iranians.

Bakhtiari women ride horses, I saw pictures of that on FB

Thanks for that.

Are the Esfandiari family Lurs? What are common Lurs surnames? Do they live in Khuzestan and nearby Fars province only? Do they have a special cuisine? Are they the most conservative Iranians? Is it like Bedouins among Arabs? I mean more or less same people but different lifestyles and much more conservative? I hear that they were Nomads as well and they seem to have a similar lifestyle as Bedouins once had. Not many real Bedouins left today mind you.:lol:

The Bedouin Arabic is also known for being archaic and more pure. They don't marry outsiders much. The only ones are the influx of slaves of all kind of backgrounds. Bedouin jokes are famous in the Arab world as well, LOL.

Bakhtiari women ride horses, I saw pictures of that on FB

Correct. And they even learn how to shoot on horses. But also non-Bakthiari women do it.

23ly3dd.jpg

Lori:

Lur-woman-sharpshooter.jpg

Yeah Bakhtiari are really nationalistic I met some here as well. @Surenas

What is the difference between Bakhtiaris and Lurs? First time I hear the first word. Are they two different people or just a tribe?

Oh, Bedouin women were also skilled fighters. So there seem to be a lot of similarities between Bedouins and Lurs. Both subgroups and slightly different ethnic groups compared to Arabs and Persians. Funny.

I wonder if both people use similar face/hand paintings? Do they have a "honor code" as well? I mean about being very protective to strangers and valuing hospitality a lot?

They seem as warrior like people as well and as very independent people just as Bedouins.

What is the difference between Bakhtiaris and Lurs? First time I hear the first word. Are they two different people or just a tribe?

Oh, Bedouin women were also skilled fighters. So there seem to be a lot of similarities between Bedouins and Lurs. Both subgroups and slightly different ethnic groups compared to Arabs and Persians. Funny.

They are Lurs but their language uses a different dialect which differentiates them from other Lurs. I think that is the difference.

Thanks for that.

Are the Esfandiari family Lurs? What are common Lurs surnames? Do they live in Khuzestan and nearby Fars province only? Do they have a special cuisine? Are they the most conservative Iranians? Is it like Bedouins among Arabs? I mean more or less same people but different lifestyles and much more conservative? I hear that they were Nomads as well and they seem to have a similar lifestyle as Bedouins once had. Not many real Bedouins left today mind you.:lol:

The Bedouin Arabic is also known for being archaic and more pure. They don't marry outsiders much. The only ones are the influx of slaves of all kind of backgrounds. Bedouin jokes are famous in the Arab world as well, LOL.

They have migrated to other places last decades, but their original bases are those two provinces. I do not really know about their special cuisine, but Kurds usually claim that Loris are part of the Kurdish people. Some Loris acknowledge that, while others claim they are Persian, while being culturally close to Kurds.

Speaking of Lurs :D Just a personal experience, never ever mess with them, they're very kind people, they take care of their guests and their priority is their guests / friends, so lets say if you are a guest / stranger in a Lurish city, if you get into trouble they never going to gangup on you. But god help those who have angered the Lurs either willingly or unwillingly. This is coming from a Turk who takes pride in his heritage, and its also difficult for me to say this, but I'm serious when I tell you that Lurs are bunch of badass cowboys! I will share a personal story in this regard in a more appropriate time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom