What's new

Iranian Arabs

I saw it on Twitter, but the words beneath look photoshopped to me, don't you think?

yeah now that im looking at it more carefully its quite probable, if there was a better quality picture available i could say for sure.

yeah now that im looking at it more carefully its quite probable, if there was a better quality picture available i could say for sure.

I doubt students/people in Iran give much about the ethnicity of their fellow roommates. Looks photoshopped to me.

I doubt students/people in Iran give much about the ethnicity of their fellow roommates. Looks photoshopped to me.

yeah, that would be not be a very wise thing to do. i would imagine there would be many enthusiasts who would be willing to give her an assbeating.

Well, I know that her father was Turkish as in born in Istanbul. I was maybe not clear with that. I was more interested in the name. Anyway she could be from any ethnicity. Might be a Turkified Greek, Caucasian, Albanian, person from Balkan, Armenian etc. I do not think that she was from Central Asia for instance. Besides her mother was Arab. She had a sister called Perendis Khanum. Most family trees focus on the paternal line and each wife and the wife's parents and each wife's paternal lineage. So I don't really know much unless I do some digging or visit archives. On the maternal lineages of each wife per generation.

Anyway none of those 2 names are Arab names. I always suspected that the first was Persian. But once again I can't know if she was an Persian. Might be a Lurs. Since I have not really investigated this but I am sure that it can be done. The other one Turkish by first and last name. Since nobody calls themselves Khan in the Arab world or Semitic speaking world unless they are Turkic/Mongolian.

But the surname KhanUM might imply something there. I think that it is just an Arabized form of Khan. Because the Khan has no Arab root. Unlike most other "Islamic" titles. And after all there were and are still quite a lot of Turks in the Arab world and the Ottomans controlled Hijaz for 300-400 years. Sometimes directly and sometimes not. I should rather say Ottomans since the Ottoman Empire was a diverse empire and they used statesmen/soldiers/Pasha's from all backgrounds.

But the surname KhanUM might imply something there. I think that it is just an Arabized form of Khan. Because the Khan has no Arab root. Unlike most other "Islamic" titles.

Khan is actually a "Chief" you know that? It is just a title. Its meaning has changed a little bit since centuries have passed.

Sayyids are just a symbolic title in Iran. Like I said, even the Turkic Safavids claimed to be decedents of the prophet. I'll bet that anyone with a certain amount of influence back then could've bought this title.

Yes, but Ahvazi residents does not automatically mean Arab. You've to be sure IMO.

No, Syeds were the first Muslim missionaries they went all over to convert people to Islam, you can even find shrines of Syeds in Siberia, Indonesia, China, and even Taiwan (except the syed family of Taiwan is no longer Muslim). The Safavid invited all the shia syeds into Iran to preach because they hated Sunnis so much which is why so many Syed in Iran.

You are right though that just because somebody is Syed it doesn't make them Arab, the Arabs of Iran in Khuzestan are more Arab than any Syed Irani because Syeds married locals (men at least and the title passes from men anyway).

The only pure Arab Syed are in Hijaz like @al-Hasani and the Jordanian royal family although even the current king of Jordan is only half Arab lol with his white mother.

Khan is actually a "Chief" you know that? It is just a title. Its meaning has changed a little bit since centuries have passed.

I know that it is an Mongolian title that was spread to the Turkic world. Later adopted by some Iranians and others. Pashtuns for instance as well I have noticed. Yes, she was probably not an peasant. But I do not know the full details. Many non-Turks in Turkey adopted Turkish names so she might be of any background in the area. That will not be known until I figure that out. But I have no clue about any state archives in Turkey.

Most noble families in the world are fabrications. And sayyids probably too. Heck, you even got Turks fresh from Central-Asia claiming descendants of the prophet to legitimize their rule. The Fatamids came to Egypt and told scholars they they were descendants of Ali, and when they questioned them, they drew their swords as an example.

You should read about this history and the way people claimed descendants of holy figures just for legitimization.

Yeah but history recorded the fakes which is why you know that they only used to title as a means of legitimacy. Heck the Kings of sindh of now Pakistan claimed descent from Jamshed the legendary warrior of Iran. :lol: Yet despite them pulling swords to force people to accept this, today we know it was bull shit.

But the surname KhanUM might imply something there. I think that it is just an Arabized form of Khan.

See my explanation. Khanum means "My Khan" in Turkic languages.

Its not "om" first of all (depending on vowel harmony, it can be im, ım, um, üm, but not om), secondly that suffix is Turkic. Its a consonant that comes at end of a word and means "my". Same in all Turkic languages.

No, Syeds were the first Muslim missionaries they went all over to convert people to Islam, you can even find shrines of Syeds in Siberia, Indonesia, China, and even Taiwan (except the syed family of Taiwan is no longer Muslim). The Safavid invited all the shia syeds into Iran to preach because they hated Sunnis so much which is why so many Syed in Iran.

You are right though that just because somebody is Syed it doesn't make them Arab, the Arabs of Iran in Khuzestan are more Arab than any Syed Irani because Syeds married locals (men at least and the title passes from men anyway).

The only pure Arab Syed are in Hijaz like @al-Hasani and the Jordanian royal family although even the current king of Jordan is only half Arab lol with his white mother.

Little correction:

Pure as pure, LOL. @KingMamba . No such a thing. The Sharif's of Makkah (huge, huge family) married quite a lot of foreigners. Today many are living in the US, France, UK etc. Many of them have married Westerners. Including my very own family. Most fled Hijaz after 1932. Not many stayed and those who stayed often went abroad for large periods of time. For instance my own family. I am specifically talking about the Sharif's of Makkah here. There are many other Hashemite families in Makkah and Hijaz who do not have anything to do with the Sharif's of Makkah other than being fellow Hashemites. Overall the Quryash tribe has/had its headquarters in Makkah. I think that every 2 person or so in Makkah among the locals belongs to the Quraysh tribe but just happens to belong to the many other tribes of the larger Quraysh tribe and clans. Likewise in the remaining Hijaz. Although today it has attracted Muslim from across the world, Arabs from all regions of the Arab world and today people known as Saudi Arabians from regions of KSA that are not from Hijaz. In fact most of KSA has been heavily influenced by Najd since 1932 for the good and bad.

I mean for instance the Umayyads, Abbasids, Fatimids and Rashidun were all Quraysh.

Al-Qureishi etc. is a very popular surname in Hijaz.

I know that it is an Mongolian title that was spread to the Turkic world. Later adopted by some Iranians and others. Pashtuns for instance as well I have noticed. Yes, she was probably not an peasant. But I do not know the full details.

;)

But overall I need to do some clarification here, although Iranian-Arabs form a significant portion of Khuzestan province, but not everyone from Khuzestan and Ahwaz (its capital city) is Arab, as a matter of fact Arabs consist 40% (could be less) of the Khuzestan and rest of 60% are Bakhtiaris/Lurs, Persians, Turks, Shooshtaris, Dezfulis, etc...

However, in all honesty Iranian Arabs have been given high ranking positions like any other Iranian, for example majority of Ahwaz's mayors are ethnically Arab, Police chiefs, etc etc so its not as its portrayed in Al-Arabiya. However, Ahwaz remains a hellhole mostly due to lack of investment (because of its shitty weather) and since Saddam dried up a river somewhere (not sure where) it caused frequent dust storms which bother everyone. So its not a very pleasant place to live in.

Last edited:
Little correction:

Pure as pure, LOL. @KingMamba . No such a thing. The Sharif's of Makkah (huge, huge family) married quite a lot of foreigners. Today many are living in the US, France, UK etc. Many of them have married Westerners. Including my very own family. Most fled Hijaz after 1932. Not many stayed and those who stayed often went abroad for large periods of time. For instance my own family. I am specifically talking about the Sharif's of Makkah here. There are many other Hashemite families in Makkah and Hijaz who do not have anything to do with the Sharif's of Makkah other than being fellow Hashemites. Overall the Quryash tribe has/had its headquarters in Makkah. I think that ever 2 person or so in Makkah among the locals belongs to the Quraysh tribe but just happens to belong to the many other tribes of the larger Quraysh tribe and clans.

I mean for instance the Umayyads, Abbasids, Fatimids and Rashidun were all Quraysh.

Al-Qureishi etc. is a very popular surname in Hijaz.

Oh I did not know about that, in Pakistan Al-qureishi is also a surname but it denotes Arab ancestry and not lineage to the Prophet itself. When the Arabs conquered Sindh of Pakistan many Sheikhs came over to try and spread Islam their descendants are called Qurieshi.

Bro we gotta go convert those Syeds of Taiwan back to Islam it is blasphemous that they do not know the religion of their forefather. :P Me and you we out one day. :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom