What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

I thought there was an article stating that the air defense system was pointing in the wrong direction and that the operators did not follow protocol, did not acquire permission from the command center before firing ?

In any case, whomever was in charge of that operation SHOULD have made sure to close off Iran's airspace during that night. I'm not sure whether it was just carelessness or over confidence on the part of the IRGC or Iranian military, but now trying to blame it on "electronic warfare" is kind of ridiculous.

Where's the proof ? Why all these different narratives ? Iranian people deserve a decisive answer on this incident. Why beat around the bush ?

These kind of statements along with the dowsing rod presentation really makes me think twice about these IRGC figures.

I thought it was very clear why in the report that was published. They had not set the systems North correctly so on the radar screen they saw the airplane approaching them from Northwest instead of from where the airport was.

I have a feeling it’s some within IRGC trying to deflect blame/responsibility over the instance or add doubt to the circumstances to the incident.

With the many air defense command centers Iran has and the ones inside the mountain as well. For the US to pick one AD system outside Tehran to EW attack seems highly unlikely.

It seems that crew was not only incompetent, but trigger happy.

There were a few incidents during the Cold War where Russian or US radar and air defense teams picked up what they thought was the other’s nuclear first strike launch attack.

Yet the teams used logic and reasoning and stood down even if standing down ment total annihilation. Only afterwards in each incident was it understood that it was technical problems with the systems.

In this case, the team did not use logic and assumed somehow without any reporting from any other batteries or AD command center that a CM had made its way to Tehran to strike. Even if it is was 1 cruise missile the team should have waited for confirmation from command center even if it ment they would perish or another target would perish.

By assuming anything in the air is hostile when airspace is NOT closed Is gross incompetence. If airspace was completely closed to civilian traffic then it would be a different matter.

Electronic warfare is not based on magic, how would anyone be able to perform EW so deep inside a country the size of Iran without penetrating through its airspace first? More-over, even if we assume this could occur, the Tor-M1 operator chose to fire on a target he was seeing on his screen which they assumed to be a cruise missile. What part of this could have caused by an EW? Firstly, we already know that the Tor-M1 do not have a IFF, secondly, when you consider classic radars, all they see is a blip on the screen (many have limited RCS calculation capabilities). It is quite easy to mistake targets, this is why IFFs are used. Thus this incident clearly occurred due to 1) The decision not to ground the air-fleet 2) A difficult decision made by an operator who was certainly inexperienced. There is no evidence nor any reason to think EW such as radar spoofing had anything to do with this.

it's not new. people from the fist week were saying it's possibly the result of US EW as that night there was a heavy involvement of US assets around all sides of Iran.
the range is not an issue, su-35 radar has 450 km range. meaning the radar wave travels 900 km and it has enough energy to detect an object. now it's radar size and instrumental limit differs from an air defense system...

It is not just the range (at those long ranges the EM intensity will be too small to create a meaningful EW) but also the fact we're dealing with a solo Tor-m1 system in a relatively mountainous region. There are various types of E-warfare systems and not a single one could be behind this incident. "Radar spoofing" is the closet thing but that is countered by the obvious fact the Tor system detected and hit a physical object i.e the plane. The only logical explanation is the one already given by the IRGC.

Some interesting missile nose section were shown during the recent exhibition. The one on the far right has the steepest angle, I think it is from the Shalamche missile?

1600706892430.png

Army Air Defense unveils two new radar projects Misagh and Soroush

1600960307631.png

According to Sabahifard, the Soroush project is a medium-range detection and search radar with a range of more than 220 km, which is able to detect low cross-sectional targets at low altitude using semiconductor technology.

“The domestic Soroush radar can carry out missions in all weather conditions. It is capable of withstanding electronic warfare and has high mobility,” he noted.

“Misagh radar is able to receive, process, and integrate information with a very high data processing capacity and the system does not need any operator,” he added.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom