What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Could DIRCM work or no?

Certainly not. These missiles come at the target from above, by the time the target even knows what is happening, it will be too late for them.

Missile diving down at target:

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 20.40.05.png

Watch video below from 2:30

@PeeD

What is the advantage of the uee of Magnesium fluoride dome over the transparent dome systems? Extra thermal resistance?

Now something fantastic is proven, that Sevome Khordad can function in a purely passive mode as well as active. This system is without a doubt one of the greatest military achievement of Iran and hands down one of the best air defences globally.

@PeeD

What is the advantage of the uee of Magnesium fluoride dome over the transparent dome systems? Extra thermal resistance?

Now something fantastic is proven, that Sevome Khordad can function in a purely passive mode as well as active. This system is without a doubt one of the greatest military achievement of Iran and hands down one of the best air defences globally.

Well its the material of choice for medium IR band. Zolfaghar Basir uses clear "glass" for example and is exposed to highest thermal stress levels.

Well its the material of choice for medium IR band. Zolfaghar Basir uses clear "glass" for example and is exposed to highest thermal stress levels.

Mamnoon dadash. How do you think the Sevome Khordad will evolve? Will we see a 200km range missile for it? Broadly speaking, what are your thoughts regarding the future of Iran's long range air defence programs?

Having said that, I think right now most people are more excited to see our SHORAD programs.

Mamnoon dadash. How do you think the Sevome Khordad will evolve? Will we see a 200km range missile for it? Broadly speaking, what are your thoughts regarding the future of Iran's long range air defence programs?

Having said that, I think right now most people are more excited to see our SHORAD programs.

Actually it is already a near ideal system for the IRGC doctrine, so I don't know what cost efficient upgrade would come next. Its all about cost effectiveness which results in number of systems deployed.

IRGC long range SAM programs could be unveiled pretty soon.

so there are rumours russia will be ready to delivery the S-400 AD System to Iran as soon as embargo ends
the question is why iran wants it if its allegedly capable of producing its own system with same capabilities?

It wouldn't be a bad addition but I believe that Iran should only purchase it if the Russians are willing to give Iran the algorithms. Unlike with Turkey, Russia really doesn't need to worry about Iran as much since Iran isn't part of NATO and isn't trying to expand its territory into the Russian sphere of influence like Turkey. In any case, Iran could just build more Bavar systems instead of the S-400 but we'll see what happens.

so there are rumours russia will be ready to delivery the S-400 AD System to Iran as soon as embargo ends
the question is why iran wants it if its allegedly capable of producing its own system with same capabilities?

Hi Draco,

I think Iran urgently needs modern jet fighters. If the indigenous fighter projects have great progress and advances, I think the HUGE amount of money for purchasing some tens of SU-30/SU-35 (SU-57 will be not available till several years, in an optimisticaly thinking) would be far better used in indigenous projects.

About S-400 systems, this would be a cheaper purchase. But Iran has an extremely advance AD network so I would think it's not necessary. But adding some extra elements (and "different" and advanced ones) would make this network even more solid. so it's not a silly thing.

But also I think this purchase is directly related to fighter jets purchases:
Since the iranian budget is very limited, if there is S-400 purchase, it will mean no fighter jet purchase (and it would also mean indigenous fighter projects are very advanced in development, to fill the gap-necessity).
And if there is no S-400 purchase it would mean there will be some fighter jets purchase.

Also I think Iran will learn from this russian items purchased, in terms of science and tech.
I think after october 18th (end of weapon sanctions) there will be some "movements" in term of Iran purchases. And EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: SINCE OCTOBER 18TH IRAN WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE WEAPONS TO ANY NATION IN THE WORLD (not covertly as now, but openly)

Iran must not waste a single penny on S-400. Iran has stated already that Bavar itself will surpass the S-400 in the next 2 years. To be frank, this should not be a problem as Bavar is already quite close to S-400. Iran's long range air defence focus should become producing systems capable of dealing with next generation threats, i.e the manoeuvring hypersonic systems. Depending on its capability, the S-500 may be a potential canditate for purchase.

As I have said already, Iran could make a one time large purchase of fighter jets to give its airforce a major boost but all other investments must go into its own industries. Iran has many impressive projects in field like ground forces and navy, but the rate of development/manufacture is too slow. This needs to be dealt with.

Iran must not waste a single penny on S-400. Iran has stated already that Bavar itself will surpass the S-400 in the next 2 years. To be frank, this should not be a problem as Bavar is already quite close to S-400. Iran's long range air defence focus should become producing systems capable of dealing with next generation threats, i.e the manoeuvring hypersonic systems. Depending on its capability, the S-500 may be a potential canditate for purchase.

As I have said already, Iran could make a one time large purchase of fighter jets to give its airforce a major boost but all other investments must go into its own industries. Iran has many impressive projects in field like ground forces and navy, but the rate of development/manufacture is too slow. This needs to be dealt with.
I agree with you. But maybe iran at that moment needs additional Long Range Systems from russia and SHORADS, until the BAVAR is mass produced and the other Iranian SHORADS are operational and mass produced also. But for me, iran needs immediately 3-4 Squadrons of jets, or make a deal with russia or china to cooperate in this field. Navy future looks bright according to the available projects.

I agree with you. But maybe iran at that moment needs additional Long Range Systems from russia and SHORADS, until the BAVAR is mass produced and the other Iranian SHORADS are operational and mass produced also. But for me, iran needs immediately 3-4 Squadrons of jets, or make a deal with russia or china to cooperate in this field. Navy future looks bright according to the available projects.

Long range and SHORADS systems are already made, they just need mass production. So no need for the Russians. I would go as far as saying Iranian SHOARDS would be be much better suited to the modern conflict due to Iran's experience in dealing with UAVs.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom