What's new

Iran unveils it’s own copy of the Israeli Spike anti-tank guided missile. [PIC]

guys do you have any idea which version of spike it is?? as it has many versions with different ranges which in turn would drastically change the whole idea of reverse engineering it. it could be a shoulder launched anti tank and a replacement for our short range saeqeh/dragon guided missile or a long range missile which can arm not only our ground forces but also drones and helicopters. so it's important to know which version it is.

guys do you have any idea which version of spike it is?? as it has many versions with different ranges which in turn would drastically change the whole idea of reverse engineering it. it could be a shoulder launched anti tank and a replacement for our short range saeqeh/dragon guided missile or a long range missile which can arm not only our ground forces but also drones and helicopters. so it's important to know which version it is.
Its either the MR or LR version,but they both look very similar so I cant tell sadly.The MR has a range of 2500m and the LR has a range of 4-5000m depending on whether its pre 2014 or after.

Its either the MR or LR version,but they both look very similar so I cant tell sadly.The MR has a range of 2500m and the LR has a range of 4-5000m depending on whether its pre 2014 or after.
its air launched so I guess it will have some how longer range

Good for smaller drones to use.

Iran already has a wide range of UAV launch missiles and an in-depth catalogue of anti tank missiles.

Given how long it has been since this was unveiled, probably not in high demand by armed forces or IRGC.

This is an old project. Iran fields many different types of anti-armour systems today. Reverse engineering these systems and learning from them was a very important step for Iran. No need to reinvent the wheel, just improve it.

its air launched so I guess it will have some how longer range
Good point,air launching from altitude will extend the range even further.
Its also a pretty light weight weapon with both the MR and LR versions weighing in at around 14kg which is around two and a half times lighter than a 35kg sadid glide bomb,so you theoretically have the potential of carrying anywhere from 8-10 iranian spikes on a shahed 129,possibly 4 on a mohajer 6 and possibly 2 on the ababil 3,or combinations of glide bombs and spikes for dealing with different target types,ie static and slow moving targets can be engaged with glide bombs whereas faster moving more agile targets ie helos and drones,fast naval craft etc.. could be engaged with the spike.
The latest version of the spike,the LR-II,weighs in at even less than its predecessor at around 12.7kg and has its range extended to 5500m.Its also around half the weight of the AT12 Kornet/Dehalivieh as well.

Back
Top Bottom