What's new

India's stingy definition of poverty irks critics

Obviously you are not talking of rickshaw wallahs. Maybe you are referring to auto rickshaw wallahs who live by cheating and overcharging customers. The figures of 10k or 20K do not apply to rickshaw wallahs in India.

Dude, you might still have manual rickshaws in your place. But i havn't seen those either in AP or MR for a long period, so my intuition of rickshaw has changed to auto rickshaw long back so the confusion. Poverty levels in SI and WI states have fallen down rapidly in last decade. The biggest culprits in this poverty episode are UP, Bihar and WB.

gulte u r full of $hit. A rickshaw driver earning 20k a month GTFOH, who r u trying to kid? The driver from the hotel I was staying in last year was earning 3k a month. And I've been in several rickshaws, the drivers say otherwise - 20k a month WTF!!!!

gulte u r full of $hit. A rickshaw driver earning 20k a month GTFOH, who r u trying to kid? The driver from the hotel I was staying in last year was earning 3k a month. And I've been in several rickshaws, the drivers say otherwise - 20k a month WTF!!!!

Think what ever you want or call me what ever names you can call but i only mentioned what i have been told by that driver. I am not forcing you to believe what i have said, some things you should take it for face value. Else the whole discussion have no point.

in my state driver monthly salary 8000/- plus 50/- daily allowances
on daily basis it is 300/- per day plus 50/- daily allowances

Dude, you might still have manual rickshaws in your place. But i havn't seen those either in AP or MR for a long period, so my intuition of rickshaw has changed to auto rickshaw long back so the confusion. Poverty levels in SI and WI states have fallen down rapidly in last decade. The biggest culprits in this poverty episode are UP, Bihar and WB.

Oh great, I was not aware that AP did not have rickshaws. I live in New Delhi and yes we have umpteen rickshaws here as we have in any other metro, big or small city in India. A rickshaw is always a manual three wheeled bicycle with a carriage. There are no other types of rickshaws. The scooter engine based three wheelers are called 'autos' or 'three wheelers', no one calls them rickshaws.

I don't think Data is Right. Its Only theoretical. Things has changed a lot.

In Delhi, Most of Rickshaw Driver, Servants, Labour Class makes Rs. 5,000 - 10,000 per Months and they say I am very Poor as Middle Class makes Rs. 20,000-50,000 per Months in Delhi/NCR. Its all Comparative thing not real facts.

its is true ....................

rickshaaw walaa earn more thn 10 000 PM in delhi .......... i said more than

Oh great, I was not aware that AP did not have rickshaws. I live in New Delhi and yes we have umpteen rickshaws here as we have in any other metro, big or small city in India. A rickshaw is always a manual three wheeled bicycle with a carriage. There are no other types of rickshaws. The scooter engine based three wheelers are called 'autos' or 'three wheelers', no one calls them rickshaws.

But my friend, I believe rickshaw walas at least in Delhi earns more than 5000 bucks PM.

Actually we call them rickshaw here in Mumbai and auto/rickshaw in Hyderabad. Just gone through rickshaw definition, there are manual rickshaw, cycle rickshaw and auto rickshaw. I havn't seen manual rickshaws till now, used to see cycle rickshaws in my childhood.

in my state driver monthly salary 8000/- plus 50/- daily allowances
on daily basis it is 300/- per day plus 50/- daily allowances

Yeah, drivers are paid between 6.000/- and 8,000/-, but they are chauffeurs who have fixed salaries. Auto rickshaw drivers charge by the meter (or they are supposed, when the meters work, that is). But the topic here is rickshaw wallahs below poverty line. No one refers to taxi drivers or auto rickshaw drivers as very poor people. They are definitely not below any poverty lines (whether UN or Indian). They fall in the category or skilled labor and are paid accordingly.

its is true ....................

rickshaaw walaa earn more thn 10 000 PM in delhi .......... i said more than

Quite possible cause the minimum charges even for the shortest of the distance is between 10-20 Rs. Now it all depends on how many trips a rickshaw wala makes. Apart from Rickshaw walas, there are Pan walas, Cigarette walas, Chai walas etc and they earn way more and at times more than earning of a normal Delhite..

But my friend, I believe rickshaw walas at least in Delhi earns more than 5000 bucks PM.

Rickshaw wallah in my village/town of 200k earns around 10k, i am expecting Delhi wallas to earn more that just 5k.

Actually we call them rickshaw here in Mumbai and auto/rickshaw in Hyderabad. Just gone through rickshaw definition, there are manual rickshaw, cycle rickshaw and auto rickshaw. I havn't seen manual rickshaws till now, used to see cycle rickshaws in my childhood.

Yeah, that is right, I think the last of the manual rickshaws vanished from Kolkata a few years ago along with the trams. The manual rickshaw had been inspired by some country in South East Asia while the idea of the Trams came from Europe.

I think they do as long as they are young and can sustain the effort in the heat here. Most of them are under nourished, many suffer from TB They are poor people my friend, of the vast unregulated unskilled labor population. back breaking work for really peanuts.

Yeah, drivers are paid between 6.000/- and 8,000/-, but they are chauffeurs who have fixed salaries. Auto rickshaw drivers charge by the meter (or they are supposed, when the meters work, that is). But the topic here is rickshaw wallahs below poverty line. No one refers to taxi drivers or auto rickshaw drivers as very poor people. They are definitely not below any poverty lines (whether UN or Indian). They fall in the category or skilled labor and are paid accordingly.

i don't know about manual rickshaw here it is very rare only we see is luggage rickshaw but as i am in construction bussines daily wages for construction workers here is 250/- day for men and 175/- for women this is only for unskilled workers for skilled workers like painters and carpenters it is 400/- pre day....

Back
Top Bottom