What's new

India's new Naval Chief's first disastrous press talk.

I'm confused. I thought Vaishyas are businesspeople caste (varna).

Vaishyas are lower than Khshatriyas, who in turn are lower than Brahmins. Vaishyas are only higher than shudra laborers. Shudras are only better than untouchables (dalit).

19f2da9152d840a3a255b15d_cut_750x400_315.png
whenever people discuss Hindu castes and pyramid schemes
I feel like saying this- replace koi with Kya
ye-koi-randikhana-hai-gd-bhakshi.gif

Looks like he is not good at story telling and speech, he should aware of his weakness and opted for Navy related news/recent development in the conference.

In most countries, they have spokespeople not only for places like the White House, but for every important govt, function (like the foreign ministry).

Indian spokesperson for the MEA is Arindam Bagchi, who is a Bengali Kolkata dada, and has the gift of the gab.

I am baffled why this Navy Chief decided to take the stand when he knows he's not good at it. IN probably won't allow this to happen again.

In Urdu/Hindi the word is, Kuwara or Ku(n)wara and Kuwari. Kumar maybe related meaning though.
Kumar = virgin boy and Kumari = virgin girl in Bengal.

Young boy and girl meaning ( at least better meaning ) is torun/toruni ; torun for young boy , toruni ( তরুনী) for young girl.

However don't mix it up with another similar word toroni , as toroni/তরণী meaning all kind of boat , ship and this kind!

Typical upper caste Taqiya.
Modi is Ghanchi/Teli, belonging to Vaishya varna, considered twice-born, so of course upper caste.

@Maira La , and @Bilal9 bhais ,

Modi isn't vashya, he is OBC ( other backward class ) , Ghanchi/Teli is OBC ! Google it you will understand.

Also in Bengal region ( Bangladesh and west Bengal and some extented area that was part of Banga area) there are only two pure caste and they are brahmin and shudra. There are no Khstraya and vashiya in this region.

শুদ্র দুই প্রকারের আছে বাংলায়, উচ্চরা হল উত্তমর্ণ শুদ্র
। বল্লাল সেনের ধরে আনা কিছু ব্রাহ্মণ ছাড়া আর কোন ব্রাহ্মণ ও নাই বাংলায়; ক্ষত্রিয় বা বৈশ্য অনেক দুরের কথা। বাংলার ব্যবসায়ী কেউ বৈশ্য নয়। কাউ বেল্টের হিন্দু আর বাঙ্গালী হিন্দু সম্পুর্ন ভিন্ন জিনিস। আব্রাহামিক ধর্মের আদলে হিন্দু ধর্ম কে বিচার করার সুযোগ নেই। Hinduism isng a single religion , but an umbrella term , that consist lots of similar religions!

বাংগালী হিন্দু হল শাক্ত, আর বর্ণবাদ শাক্তদের জিনিস না।
There is a nice article related to it. Please read it thoroughly for better understanding.
I'm confused. I thought Vaishyas are businesspeople caste (varna). Telis by the way belong to oil-presser caste who extract oil from different seeds (mostly mustard) for a living. Far away from being Brahmin, actually an OBC caste per Gujarat govt. records.

Vaishyas are lower than Khshatriyas, who in turn are lower than Brahmins. Vaishyas are only higher than shudra laborers. Shudras are only better than untouchables (dalit).

Last edited:
Origins of thoughts / ideas always interest me. Maybe, he is also interested & trying to explain those.

When I was really young, I & my friend ridiculed the thoughts of an elderly man (not to his face). We used to laugh ourselves thinking he was eating our brains. But after some years & wisdom, I see the point in all that gentleman's thoughts. I regret ridiculing his thoughts. Actually, I was also in university when I did that.

Also, unless you are carried away by the comments from all pakistanis (they can create many reasons to laugh at India), his talk is not that bad / ugly. I would say that talk has some unwanted / unnecessary sentences. Maybe, he is a small time poet, and tried to use those skills. Also, he appeared confident and in command. That is my impression.

PS: maybe, you are young and find still find that talk (given at your college) all BS (or) maybe, my interest in origins of everything is not of interest to anyone. I am not judging you though.

Perhaps it might be so. I'm upset more about his choice of topic which is ridiculous. Speaking in public isn't everyones cup of tea and I understand that and for sure he has the skill and ability to be the chief. But he should have some kind of PR advisor who needs to be consulted before making such speeches.

"our"fat chor nawaz sharif is a chitta brahman (a kashmiri pandit), while kala kumar can either be a brahman or a rajput
how do people know the castes of other people?
Only thing I know is my clan is Jutt (which I feel is majority of Punjab, at least North Punjab) with different gotras but I always thought of it as tribal/clan based thing than a pyramid scheme

How do you know if someone is brahmin or not?- NS is a regular inner city Kashmiri,
Do they have like papers written on it in Hinduism- if yeah who judges who, who gets to decide
What's the status of migrants?, our regions experienced migrations
who decides to put the newer guys in pyramids and what do they judge when they put these people in pyramids?

The content of the speech is actually embarrassing, unless it was delivered at a Primary school (which it wasn't). Even Primary school kids are a lot smarter than what we were during our times. It's not his command over English which seems to be an issue here. He didn't make any technical mistakes. Just that he doesn't seem to be very comfortable speaking in public.

I'm confused. I thought Vaishyas are businesspeople caste (varna).

The caste system in practice is a bit more complicated than the official 4 castes. In today's business driven times, Kshatriyas and Brahmins are essentially playing the role of Vaishyas, along with the Vaishyas. A lot of what is considered as lower castes today are actually OBCs (Other Backward Castes). To put this in perspective, Marathas (the most politically dominant caste in Maharashtra) are officially OBCs. Jats in Haryana and Western UP (again politically dominant and even fairly prosperous) were agitating in the past for getting OBC status, so that they can qualify for reservations. Gujjars were extremely pissed that Meenas (formerly Scheduled Tribe) got OBC status but not them. It gets better. Yadavs (who wield huge influence in UP) are OBCs too !

PM Modi is technically an OBC, so it does not necessarily mean that his caste has been historically disadvantaged. He does mint it when the opportunity is provided though. The surname 'Modi' itself does not denote OBC. There are Vaishya Modis, Parsi Modis (spelt as Mody) and Muslim Modis too.

how do people know the castes of other people?
Only thing I know is my clan is Jutt (which I feel is majority of Punjab, at least North Punjab) with different gotras but I always thought of it as tribal/clan based thing than a pyramid scheme

AFAIK Punjabi Hindus are supposed to be Jutts and there is a pyramid class system even within Jutts.

How do you know if someone is brahmin or not?- NS is a regular inner city Kashmiri,
Good question. Maybe one of the Hindu Indian posters can tell us. I think you disclose it on a govt. form during school enrollment?
The content of the speech is actually embarrassing, unless it was delivered at a Primary school (which it wasn't). Even Primary school kids are a lot smarter than what we were during our times. It's not his command over English which seems to be an issue here. He didn't make any technical mistakes. Just that he doesn't seem to be very comfortable speaking in public.

The caste system in practice is a bit more complicated than the official 4 castes. In today's business driven times, Kshatriyas and Brahmins are essentially playing the role of Vaishyas, along with the Vaishyas. A lot of what is considered as lower castes today are actually OBCs (Other Backward Castes). To put this in perspective, Marathas (the most politically dominant caste in Maharashtra) are officially OBCs. Jats in Haryana and Western UP (again politically dominant and even fairly prosperous) were agitating in the past for getting OBC status, so that they can qualify for reservations. Gujjars were extremely pissed that Meenas (formerly Scheduled Tribe) got OBC status but not them. It gets better. Yadavs (who wield huge influence in UP) are OBCs too !

PM Modi is technically an OBC, so it does not necessarily mean that his caste has been historically disadvantaged. He does mint it when the opportunity is provided though. The surname 'Modi' itself does not denote OBC. There are Vaishya Modis, Parsi Modis (spelt as Mody) and Muslim Modis too.

What you described is just people trying to be OBC to milk the system. Which then obviates the legitimacy and need to make the "playing field level against the dominance of the wealthier castes".

In other words the privileged folks want to become the underdogs simply to game the system.

This is wrong on so many levels....

I do not understand what you are rambling about. all I know is that pandits who were pandit/priest exploiting hindus became sayyads/sheikh/khwaja and mian to please the rulers of the time. changed the title but not the filthy crooked ways.

I've been all over AJK and GB and seen first hand. there are little exclusive mian villages/dhokes. the head of the house would do no work except nikah, jinazah and qubani/haqiqa and "fight" kala jadu for a fee.

sheikh and khawaja wer traders, mians were priests, some khwaja and sayyad were taweez issuing holy men.

how do I knw fat chor is a kasmiri pandit? ask any whitish kashmiri, they are proud of it
haraam kaahne ki aadat par gai phir saalon ko
Cristian bhi bana doh fleece karna nahi choreh gai- udhar bhi Jesus ke naam par kaam chori karay geh

Rambling = genuine confusion

What you described is just people trying to be OBC to milk the system. Which then obviates the legitimacy and need to make the "playing field level against the dominance of the wealthier castes".

In other words the privileged folks want to become the underdogs simply to game the system.

there shoudnt be any OBC bs- do it based on financial situation of families

The quota system has definitely been abused. I will also correct myself. The 'C' in OBC stands for Class and not Caste. Which means that the groups in OBC category never identified themselves as lower caste at any point in history. They believed they were educationally backward and hence deserved reservations too. Indian government created OBC category to accommodate such groups, which were a huge percentage of the population in India and politically powerful.

On the 'Kumar' word. In Bihar where caste system was quite acute, it became a sort of rebel surname because it was caste neutral. Lower castes used it to get rid of their historical baggage. Even some progressive upper castes used it to prove that they do not practice the caste system. Today it is impossible to tell the caste of a person who uses the surname Kumar. He could be from any Hindi speaking state and even from South India. In the South it is often written as Kumara or Kumaran. A lot of Srilankans use this as second or middle name too, which is not surprising as some of them have their origins in Buddhist era Bihar/Vihar and using Kumar was also a practice in Buddhism to get rid of caste identities.

there shoudnt be any OBC bs- do it based on financial situation of families

A lot of Indians support the financial basis for reservations instead of caste. i don't see it happening in my time though.

Back
Top Bottom