What's new

Indian Special Forces

True they have transformed a lot -- kick-assery being the common denominator.

BTW why wouldn't they..? any reason..though I too have noticed PARA SF not wearing the maroon beret and going for the bandana instead in Kashmir.

Purely operational reasons, when you're in combat you wear combat dress, the beret is not part of this. Additionally I'm sure the distinctive maroon berets would make a tempting target for those who have suffered at the hands of these "Red Devils".

It would be interesting to see which unit(s) the large group of PARAs belong to. As having thought about it the large group that marched past during the parade were regular PARA and not SF, added to that I'd say the march past group was made up of a collection of PARA Bn representatives not a single unit. Reasons being during the parade the commentator introduced them as PARA rgmt not SF and not a single unit (ie 7 PARA). Also it appears that the group has TAR-21s originating from different orders/batchs as the latest TAR-21s being delivered to IA have the pictnical rails along the front of the rifle. And we can see in this pic there a both the new and old models. Now given how Army procurement works, it is unlikely the same unit got different versions of the same weapon and as each PARA Bn recieved the TAR-21 (PARA/SF) they would have received them in one go and would know how many they need. Also the PARA SF in front of Arjun is wearing the relevant SF insignia that the parade group are missing.

Just a hunch.

As far as I can see all the jawans have the same rifle.. Maybe I missed it..can you point out which pic you are referring to ?

BTW if if you are referring to this pic,

1000xp.jpg

Then the middle one looks a bit different but that is an optical illusion caused by the rifle at the back. The left one also does look different along the top of the barrel if that is what you are referring to.

Maybe this is just a marching unit picked up from the different PARA units.

BTW do you have the video for this ?

As far as I can see all the jawans have the same rifle.. Maybe I missed it..can you point out which pic you are referring to ?

BTW if if you are referring to this pic,

1000xp.jpg

Then the middle one looks a bit different but that is an optical illusion caused by the rifle at the back. The left one also does look different along the top of the barrel if that is what you are referring to.

Maybe this is just a marching unit picked up from the different PARA units.

BTW do you have the video for this ?

Use I am aware of that, the rifle on the left is what I was talking about, along the sides towards the front of the barrel are pictanical rails- indicating a new rifle. And the marching unit beng a mix of regular PARA units is what I assumed.

Regarding a vid, check this site out:

http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/FormT...l01KZnQ3Q==&ParentID=Ne/FqNTXOBkEjb0v7MsnxQ==

Video tribute to Major Mohit Sharma.Formerly of 1 PARA (SF) (not my own).

Incredible transiton throughout the vid as he was posted in J&K and given the nature of SF work in J&K, he seems to have gone undercover at some point.

Sad video indeed.

check out his remberence website (many of the pics of SOFs and his time in them have been taken down from the site but still well worth a visit):

Major Mohit Sharma | [url]www.majormohitsharma.org

Last edited by a moderator:
1000xsg.jpg

A National Security Guard (NSG) commando uses an optic to keep vigil during the full dress rehearsal for the Republic Day parade in New Delhi January 23, 2012. India will celebrate its Republic Day on Thursday.

1000xt.jpg

Indian Special Forces Commandos march down Rajpath during the final full dress rehearsal for the Indian Republic Day parade in New Delhi on January 23, 2012. India will celebrate its 63rd Republic Day on January 26 with a large military parade, with Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra being the chief guest of the event.

was he the sultan of brunei...thank god..frankly i was shocked to see such a sloppy para.

Even though the patter is old, the color of the camo looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom