What's new

Indian Special Forces

I have posted these pics from CRPF's official website Otherwise I couldn't have believe this.

COBRA%20SECTOR%20MARCHING%20CONTINGENT%20SALUTING%20THE%20CHIEF%20GUEST.JPG

MARCHING%20CONTINGENT%20OF%20COBRA%20SECTOR%20MARCHING%20IN%20STYLE.JPG

The CRPF Cobra commandos were the most ill equipped once till few year back, cidambaram have done good job by pumping money into the hardware, training etc.

Yeah we all know this but if we talk about numbers then in our country the duration of training for Garuds is the longest. Now that means nothing other than their training period.

Yeah 22 Special Forces is also there and yeah they r the most secretive one. Don't know whether they were the first one to use tavor. HOw do you know this ?

One of the reasons Garuds have a longer training period is because the recruits are air force personel or even civilians, with no prior military training. So even basic military trainning has to be imparted. Only after this are they then trained by and with other special forces. On the other hand, recruits to paras, marcos, nsg etc already have an entire military education and two years of operational experience in one of the services.

One of the reasons Garuds have a longer training period is because the recruits are air force personel or even civilians, with no prior military training. So even basic military trainning has to be imparted. Only after this are they then trained by and with other special forces. On the other hand, recruits to paras, marcos, nsg etc already have an entire military education and two years of operational experience in one of the services.

only NSG requires 3 years experience you can volunteer for the MARCOS and PARA(SF) when selecting your arms during training in the academy.Earlier till 1995 you needed prior service after commission now direct recruitment right after training is allowed.

I have posted these pics from CRPF's official website Otherwise I couldn't have believe this.

COBRA%20SECTOR%20MARCHING%20CONTINGENT%20SALUTING%20THE%20CHIEF%20GUEST.JPG

MARCHING%20CONTINGENT%20OF%20COBRA%20SECTOR%20MARCHING%20IN%20STYLE.JPG

The CRPF Cobra commandos were the most ill equipped once till few year back, cidambaram have done good job by pumping money into the hardware, training etc.

Well the main frontline troops are still terrible. Chidambaram has done jack. It was the 26/11 that pressed the government to do something or suffer dire consequences.

Hold onto your horses, bhai. This is only a uniform that we are seeing. Let's see the weapons and protective gear first before judging.

Well the main frontline troops are still terrible. Chidambaram has done jack. It was the 26/11 that pressed the government to do something or suffer dire consequences.
Hold onto your horses, bhai. This is only a uniform that we are seeing. Let's see the weapons and protective gear first before judging.

It was only after 26/11 that Chidambaram was put in charge of the home ministry. That was one of the most important changes they made, to replace Shivraj Patil with Chidambaram. The fight against maoists has been much more effective since then.

Some corrections here:

1)Strength of MARCOS is classified but rejection rates aren't as they differ year after year.They can range from 80% to sometimes above 90%.The other BS that not even family members like wives know that their husband is a MARCO is laughable now,this happened in the 90's when the force was just created now it isnt do,I have seen pics of kids of MARCOS officers running the MARCOS obstacle course in vizag and firing MP-5's.It is Navy media policy that MARCOS are to keep their identities secret.

2)SFF is the special operations unit of the R&AW it was till mid-80's that it comprised entirely of tibetians,since the focus is more on counter-terrorism than China SFF are comprised of people all over India,you have to be with the R&AW and pass the training at Chakrata.

3)Probably the most secretive group is the Special Group comprised of the best of SFF,Para(SF) and some MARCOS,it is probably India's Delta Force and its military designation is 22 Special Forces.This unit comes totally under R&AW and the cabinet secretariat.This was the first unit in India to use Tavors since their amazing relationship with R&AW they can get their hands on the best equipment they can.Major Udai Singh of 1 Para(SF) was a part of the Special Group.below is a letter from the C/O of Special Group to Maj. Udai Singh's parents:
http://majorudaisingh.com/letters/thapa.jpg

4)Garuds may have longest training period but that doesnt translate to supreme excellence ,In all army SF units around the world after selection/probation/assesment continuation training takes place for about a year and then courses like signals,close protection,combat diver,recon,sniper courses take place for the army SF folks periodically.With Navy SF it is mostly 2 yearS.Garuds have a totally different function that is to protect IAF installations and lase targets.Behind enemy lines,counter terrorism work is still left to the Para(SF) and MARCOS.

Can you give further info on SG? as I thought I had an idea on what they were and did but apparently not. I was under the assumption that SG or 22 SF was a JTF comprising men from IA/IAF/IN SF who acted in solely J&K against Pakisatani-backed terrorists in the valley. I have never heard of SG being under RAW, this makes no sense as RAW already has control of SFF for direct action and RAW is tasked with intelligence gathering not CT ops like SG.

Can you give further info on SG? as I thought I had an idea on what they were and did but apparently not. I was under the assumption that SG or 22 SF was a JTF comprising men from IA/IAF/IN SF who acted in solely J&K against Pakisatani-backed terrorists in the valley. I have never heard of SG being under RAW, this makes no sense as RAW already has control of SFF for direct action and RAW is tasked with intelligence gathering not CT ops like SG.

I will dwell into some parts of the history of the SFF,we all know SFF was formed to counter China in the future if we had a shooting contest with them.In the late 1970's with Indo-China tensions easing the role of the SFF now shifted to counter-terrorism,some 60 tibetians from the SFF and 500 IA SF men were sent to Sarasawa for CT training were it is believed that experts from Israel conducted the training rather than the fact that goes on that all 1000 men were sent to Israel.By 1981-82 all Tibetians were removed from the Special Group and the Unit was now comprised of Indians only.SFF has three commando battalions one that is tationed in the extreme north-west of the Siachen Glacier.The others do their job of keeping an eye on China.

Until the formation of the NSG the SG was the premier counter-terrorist force in India.

R&AW has the SFF no doubt but their Job as mentioned is specifically China based and Siachen Glacier due to their Mountain Warfare expertise.R&AW as the country's main Intel agency has the job to check terrorism in J&K and also to eliminate it,the same was done in the beginning of GWOT in A'stan by CIA's Jawbreaker team in conjunction with the Green Berets in October 2001.The Special Group is the Intelligence-SF nexus to break the back of all terrorists deep in J&K.The IG SFF is the head of the Special Group.Volunteer's from the SF units mainly the Army SF and SFF(Indian nationals only no tibetian's) volunteer for the SG.Another fact I'd like to mention is that the SFF has a limit of having not mare than 700 Gurkhas in it at any given time.

Sources:Elite Force of India and Pakistan(an early 90's book)
Bharat-Rakshak(especially Surya and Rohitvats)

Great pics and a a great thread!

Just wondering, is it wise to post pics with clearly identifiable faces of special operations soldiers?
Atleast the faces could be altered?

The first two pics ..whats up with the old helmet?? Love the last pic but dont they have to cover their faces??

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Great pics and a a great thread!

Just wondering, is it wise to post pics with clearly identifiable faces of special operations soldiers?
Atleast the faces could be altered?

Yeah i agree but if the pics are released by GOI then its okay or else the faces should be blurred.

I will dwell into some parts of the history of the SFF,we all know SFF was formed to counter China in the future if we had a shooting contest with them.In the late 1970's with Indo-China tensions easing the role of the SFF now shifted to counter-terrorism,some 60 tibetians from the SFF and 500 IA SF men...............

So, what exactly is the recruitment procedure of SFF. Does it comprises entirely of army men like RR or SAG or it comprises of both army and paramilitary like NSG?

So, what exactly is the recruitment procedure of SFF. Does it comprises entirely of army men like RR or SAG or it comprises of both army and paramilitary like NSG?

You have to be either a tibetian,an operative with R&AW,I have also heard that army men can join the RAS cadre and volunteer for the SFF.Though some Army men specially the regular army blokes leave no stone unturned to critcise the SFF.

The SFF is a paramilitary special operations unit.Since it comes under the cabinet secretariat and not under the Ministry of Defence it is a paramilitary unit though way more elite than any paramilitary unit in the country barring the NSG who are experts at CQB,whereas the SFF are amazing at jungle warfare,high altitude assaults and they have combat diver exercises with the MARCOS with a rivalry between both of them.

You have to be either a tibetian,an operative with R&AW,I have also heard that army men can join the RAS cadre and volunteer for the SFF.

Open sources suggest that the strength is around 10,000. That is pretty hard to fill with just tibetans or RAS cadre, there must be something which is not out in the open, maybe.

Open sources suggest that the strength is around 10,000. That is pretty hard to fill with just tibetans or RAS cadre, there must be something which is not out in the open, maybe.

When it comes to SOF's of Intel agencies their recruitment is always a mystery

Back
Top Bottom