What's new

Indian Special Forces

Though I love the modernization of our special forces that is going on and am relieved to see better equipment coming to them (from a family perspective as well as a national point of view), I personally LOVE the traditional style Ghatak units have been seen using. Here:

76718_10150099415736147_522196146_7913687_1817588_n.jpg

Now tell me that looks BADASS! :smokin:

Looks terrifying indeed...

Only problem with our Special Forces is that they are not known for PR value..Its damn difficult to find authentic videos about them.. Talk to some Ghatak and you will have very Juicy stories at your disposal..

Looks terrifying indeed...

Only problem with our Special Forces is that they are not known for PR value..Its damn difficult to find authentic videos about them.. Talk to some Ghatak and you will have very Juicy stories at your disposal..

Very true- Indian SOFs very much like to remain in the shadows and let their actions speak for themselves.

+ btw GHATAKS aren't SF. But I'd love to hear some of these stories.

^^^
The above pic is one of my favorite. Some of my favorite pics are :

24074_105847609435084_100000295351208_151102_5210327_n.jpg

tavor+4.jpg

1474armyops1.jpg

I mean if the enemy looks at these pics they will pee their pants...

Very true- Indian SOFs very much like to remain in the shadows and let their actions speak for themselves.
I mean Paras are still well known, we have seen them in videos from time to time. Spetsnaz is more like Special Frontier Force about which we also know very little. Marcos are also secretive but not as much as these two.

All right new game,mention your top 5 SF units ranked in order,here's mine:

1)S.A.S
2)Para(SF)(Only the 8 SF units)
3)MARCOS
4)ACE(Army Compartmentalized elements new name for Delta Force)
5)Spetsnaz GRU
@ boris
You said about Para SF. Which country you are referring to ? There are many countries which have Para SF.

Belgian Para Commandos
paragn.jpg

^^^ agreed this pics are epic (the last one especially-Uzi in use, VERY rare). Problem is there aren't enough of them, in recent years we have seen more of these coming out because of embedding reporters and better quality news reporters. But there is still very, very little content available on these ops and operators.

^^ cool stills, Indian media channels (especially NDTV) are increasingly broadcasting more in-depth content on Indian armed forces and especially SOFs. Rocky and Mayur with GUARUDs,recent A&N doc with a small VT of MARCOs and recent 2-part NSG docs. Not to mention Nat Geo ep of Mission army with 7 PARA (non-SF) and recent Times now "heroes" show presenting some great images and stories from 21 PARA (SF)

Hopefully trend continues and we get to see much more detailed insights into Indian SOFs. Would love to see a proper doc on IN MARCOs as opposed to 30 sec clips (a pipe dream I know given the secrecy they like to enjoy). Also (I know not SF) I would love to see an in-depth doc on the SPG. Without giving away anything potentially secret there is defiantly a gap in terms of media exposure on these guys. Recently Discovery did a doc on USSS that gave great insight but still left much unsaid and quiet. Hopefully one day......

^^^
You forget about kargil reports, dangerous jobs done by reporters like Barkha Dutt. Also we cannot show all the operations on the TV as it will reveal the operational strategy of our forces in CT operations and also there's always a danger of Human Rights stooges.

+ btw GHATAKS aren't SF. But I'd love to hear some of these stories.

I know that sir..
Re: Stories- Some other time...

^^^
The above pic is one of my favorite. Some of my favorite pics are :

24074_105847609435084_100000295351208_151102_5210327_n.jpg

tavor+4.jpg

1474armyops1.jpg

I mean if the enemy looks at these pics they will pee their pants...

I mean Paras are still well known, we have seen them in videos from time to time. Spetsnaz is more like Special Frontier Force about which we also know very little. Marcos are also secretive but not as much as these two.

@ boris
You said about Para SF. Which country you are referring to ? There are many countries which have Para SF.

Belgian Para Commandos
paragn.jpg

I will actually have to go a little bit into the history of the Indian Army SF here,our first two SF units were created in 1965 & 1966 named 9 & 10 paracommando respectively ,in 1979 1 paracommando was added.These 3 units were and are still under the Parachute regiment ,India is a bit different as in all other countries SF has it's own regiment whereas we dont our SF comes under the Parachute regiment.Until 1996 all SF units were called paracommando units.

so after 2000 the differentiation began airborne units came to be called as PARA units and SF units designated as PARA(SF) units,Hence when you see PARA(SF) it means the 8 Indian Army Special Forces units-1,2,3,4,9,10,11,21 with 11 PARA(SF) being the latest addition to the SF family on June 2011.

except for 10 & 21 no unit has been shown on TV till now and nowadays event the Army SF is demanding for the same level of cover from media as MARCOS as bulk of OPS on Kashmir are done by the PARA(SF).

in the next 10 years Army may add 2-3 more SF units.

I will actually have to go a little bit into the history of the Indian Army SF here,our first two SF units were created in 1965 & 1966 named 9 & 10 paracommando respectively ,in 1979 1 paracommando was added.These 3 units were and are still under the Parachute regiment ,India is a bit different as in all other countries SF has it's own regiment whereas we dont our SF comes under the Parachute regiment.Until 1996 all SF units were called paracommando units.

so after 2000 the differentiation began airborne units came to be called as PARA units and SF units designated as PARA(SF) units,Hence when you see PARA(SF) it means the 8 Indian Army Special Forces units-1,2,3,4,9,10,11,21 with 11 PARA(SF) being the latest addition to the SF family on June 2011.

except for 10 & 21 no unit has been shown on TV till now and nowadays event the Army SF is demanding for the same level of cover from media as MARCOS as bulk of OPS on Kashmir are done by the PARA(SF).

The Indian Army PARA is by far the most experienced Special Force that India has and in my opinion the best too.The PARA face action regularly in Kashmir and North East.They have conducted operations(in recent past) which none of the other two Special forces will do in the near future too.

Paras dont cover their face but are very secretive about their operations and its better than some other forces hiding their faces and saying they are secretive in some operations and going and giving interviews while the 26/11 operation was still going on and gunshots could be heard in the other.

Paras did a great job in Lolab valley in Kashmir.Hearing some of the stories i got to hear from some of the RR guys i got to know they have done a great job there and these were the type of operations i dont think the other two SFs have done in recent past or will do in near future.

The more experienced you are matters more than how cool you look when talking of SFs.

Really great men..the PARAS...i salute them and respect them for what they are and what they are doing everyday in Kashmir and NE...wish they get good equipments in future which will make them more lethal and wish they always remain secretive because that is the secret to success for a special force...the more your commandos are down to earth..the more your chances of success.

We all know about what you written i just wanna know in your list the 2nd number that you wrote was para. Now there are many countries that para SF and parachute regiment like greece, germany etc. etc. German paras are very good. Now i think you meant indian para SF.

The Indian Army PARA is by far the most experienced Special Force that India has and in my opinion the best too.The PARA face action regularly in Kashmir and North East.They have conducted operations(in recent past) which none of the other two Special forces will do in the near future too.
Marcos are also stationed in JnK mainly near the water bodies and were they are stationed every terrorist is frightened of them but hell so as the case with Paras but i think you are right Paras have the most experience in all the SF units in India. I can't really say about SFF because they deal with RAW and IB and i think they might have been in grab operations in Nepal.

Do you remember an old video of NDTV in which it was mentioned that Paras won the 1st prize in SA where they hold various exercises with different SF around the globe.

Paras dont cover their face but are very secretive about their operations and its better than some other forces hiding their faces
It depends. I heard paras have grown beard and they mingled with the crowd and the intel. I think whenever its necessary to hide identity they do because their lives depend on it and thats why you can see many time paras with their face covered during many operations.

We all know about what you written i just wanna know in your list the 2nd number that you wrote was para. Now there are many countries that para SF and parachute regiment like greece, germany etc. etc. German paras are very good. Now i think you meant indian para SF.

Marcos are also stationed in JnK mainly near the water bodies and were they are stationed every terrorist is frightened of them but hell so as the case with Paras but i think you are right Paras have the most experience in all the SF units in India. I can't really say about SFF because they deal with RAW and IB and i think they might have been in grab operations in Nepal.

Do you remember an old video of NDTV in which it was mentioned that Paras won the 1st prize in SA where they hold various exercises with different SF around the globe.

It depends. I heard paras have grown beard and they mingled with the crowd and the intel. I think whenever its necessary to hide identity they do because their lives depend on it and thats why you can see many time paras with their face covered during many operations.

i think abingdonboy & I have mentioned about SFF role in kashmir-SFF commandos and the best of the para(SF) are part of a group called Special Group,in army SF circle's the military designation of Special Group is 22 Special Forces

i think abingdonboy & I have mentioned about SFF role in kashmir-SFF commandos and the best of the para(SF) are part of a group called Special Group,in army SF circle's the military designation of Special Group is 22 Special Forces

Just to add Special Group (22 SF) are a task force stationed in J&K made up mostly of PARA SF men and SFF along with a select few from J&K police SOG and on occasion MARCOs and IAF Guarud who are given "baptisms of fire" in operational tours in J&K atttced to Special Group or with other PARA SF units.

Back
Top Bottom