What's new

Indian schoolboy genius solves 350 year-old Particle dynamics theories.

lol. Mann nutzt dieses Forum Englisch. benutzen Sie bitte, dass anstelle des Lehrens indischen Mitgliedern Deutsch.!:laugh:

Good try! :)

Man (with one n in this case) schreibt (better than nutzt) in diesem (dative) Forum Englisch. The second sentence is totally messed up. :)

Götterdämmerung;2975417 said:
Why? It's not me asking you. :)

Still.. Tant pis :)

or actually an upgrade this time.. Tant pi$$ :)

Whatever to the Indians. Maybe one day someone with an Indian name can finally win a Fields Medal.

Fields Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No dear ... Indians are too money minded. :laugh:

The earlier one suggested is better:

However, there are 7 mathematical problems that Clay Mathematics Institute claim are Millennium problems. Solution to each problem would fetch a million dollars. Only one that is Poincare conjecture has been solved until now by Grigoriy Perelman, arguably the greatest Mathematician alive today.

Shouryya should take up the challenge

Millennium Prize Problems

And earlier I was ruing .. only one million dollars.. jeez.

My stupid boss took home (probably) one mill bonus last year, for just showing up in office and gulping down precious coffee down his throat. Damn.. why do they ill-treat the mathematicians.

Sorry.. but no C$ 15000. It's nothing short of a ridicule.

Schoolboy 'genius' solves puzzles posed by Sir Isaac Newton that have baffled mathematicians for 350 years

• Shouryya Ray put the historical breakthrough down to 'schoolboy naivety'
  • Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius
By Jill Reilly

PUBLISHED: 01:05 GMT, 26 May 2012 | UPDATED: 14:07 GMT, 26 May 2012

A 16-year-old has managed to crack puzzles which have baffled the world of maths for more than 350 years.

Shouryya Ray has been hailed a genius after working out the problems set by Sir Isaac Newton.

The schoolboy, from Dresden, Germany, solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories which physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers.
article-2150225-134DF83D000005DC-214_634x741.jpg

His solutions mean that scientists can now calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off a wall.

Shouryya only came across the problems during a school trip to Dresden University where professors claimed they were uncrackable.

'I just asked myself, 'Why not?',' explained Shouryya.

'I think it was just schoolboy naivety. I didn't believe there couldn't be a solution,' he added.

article-2150225-0447F5780000044D-966_306x423.jpg

Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius.

'There are other things at school I wish I was better at - football for one,' he said.

For years Shouryya has enjoyed what he calls 'intrinsic beauty' of maths.

When he was young, his father, an engineer, began testing his brain by setting him arithmetic problems.

After arriving from Calcutta four years ago without knowing any German, Shouryya is now fluent in the language.

His intelligence was quickly noted in class and he was pushed up two years in school - he is currently sitting his exams early.

Modestly Shouryya has pointed out he has weak points as a mathematician, and says he is not as competent in sport.

article-2150225-134D0A97000005DC-456_634x404.jpg

Not only great mathematician but his feet is also on the ground, good job buddy.

Why when there is a whole new prize by IMU, which awards Fields Medal, instituted 'Ramanujan Prize' in the name of an Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.

Maybe because the Fields Medal is the highest honor in Mathematics and no one of Indian heritage can win one.

To the Indian accusing the Chinese of sour grapes, look up Terence Tao, a prodigy since 2 and a Fields Medal winner.

śūnya_0_Zero;2975444 said:
And earlier I was ruing .. only one million dollars.. jeez.

My stupid boss took home (probably) one mill bonus last year, for just showing up in office and gulping down precious coffee down his throat. Damn.. why do they ill-treat the mathematicians.

Sorry.. but no C$ 15000. It's nothing short of a ridicule.

It is not about the money . It is about prestige. Grigori Perelman, the only guy to solve one of the 7 problem declined Field Medal and the Millennium Prize. Field Medal is equivalent to Nobel prize for the field of Mathematics.

It is not about the money . It is about prestige. Grigori Perelman, the only guy to solve one of the 7 problem declined Field Medal and the Millennium Prize. Field Medal is equivalent to Nobel prize for the field of Mathematics.

Yeah.. but C$ 15000 is ridiculous !!!!

Maybe because the Fields Medal is the highest honor in Mathematics and no one of Indian heritage can win one.

To the Indian accusing the Chinese of sour grapes, look up Terence Tao, a prodigy since 2 and a Fields Medal winner.

Ok.. got it baby.. why you mentioned this one in the first place.. while I struggled to look for a "you-know-who" in the list on your link.

Fields Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok.. finally there is an Australian born American with the characteristic that makes you "proud". Congrats dear.

Terence Tao is great, no doubts. But India's contribution to Mathematics is second to none. And awarding the last Field medals in India is a recognition of that fact. As regarding Srinivasa Ramanujan, he is one of the top 20 Mathematicians of all times. Although, not formally educated, his brilliance can be compared to Gauss and Newton. People get Phds in Mathematics just by proving problems from his note books. Terence Tao himself is a recipient of Ramanujan prize

The Thirty Greatest Mathematicians

And we have five Indian Mathematicians in top 50 in the list of all time greatest mathematicians

Terence Tao is great, no doubts. But India's contribution to Mathematics is second to none. And awarding the last Field medals in India is a recognition of that fact. As regarding Srinivasa Ramanujan, he is one of the top 20 Mathematicians of all times. Although, not formally educated, his brilliance can be compared to Gauss and Newton. People get Phds in Mathematics only by proving problems from his note books.

The Thirty Greatest Mathematicians

And we have five Indian Mathematicians in top 50 in the list of all time greatest mathematicians

Regret Ramanujan died at a very young age, due to tuberculosis.

Thank God ... tubeculosis is curable now. It's a real curse.

Would have been better if they could cure it then (in Ramanujan's times) .. and mathematics would have benefited tremendously.

śūnya_0_Zero;2975613 said:
Regret Ramanujan died at a very young age, due to tuberculosis.

Thank God ... tubeculosis is curable now. It's a real curse.

Would have been better if they could cure it then (in Ramanujan's times) .. and mathematics would have benefited tremendously.

Yes, you are true.

But for most Chinese on this forum it would be a shock to know that the latest recipient of Ramanujan prize is Wei Zhang, a Chinese.

buddy :lol: did u know that the indian system of mathematics is the basis of what u learn in math class today?

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made"

-Albert Einstein

Back
Top Bottom