What's new

Indian schoolboy genius solves 350 year-old Particle dynamics theories.

Perceptron

BANNED
Reaction score
Schoolboy 'genius' solves puzzles posed by Sir Isaac Newton that have baffled mathematicians for 350 years

• Shouryya Ray put the historical breakthrough down to 'schoolboy naivety'
  • Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius
By Jill Reilly

PUBLISHED: 01:05 GMT, 26 May 2012 | UPDATED: 14:07 GMT, 26 May 2012

A 16-year-old has managed to crack puzzles which have baffled the world of maths for more than 350 years.

Shouryya Ray has been hailed a genius after working out the problems set by Sir Isaac Newton.

The schoolboy, from Dresden, Germany, solved two fundamental particle dynamics theories which physicists have previously been able to calculate only by using powerful computers.
article-2150225-134DF83D000005DC-214_634x741.jpg

His solutions mean that scientists can now calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and then predict how it will hit and bounce off a wall.

Shouryya only came across the problems during a school trip to Dresden University where professors claimed they were uncrackable.

'I just asked myself, 'Why not?',' explained Shouryya.

'I think it was just schoolboy naivety. I didn't believe there couldn't be a solution,' he added.

article-2150225-0447F5780000044D-966_306x423.jpg

Modest Shouryya began solving complicated equations as a six year old but says he's no genius.

'There are other things at school I wish I was better at - football for one,' he said.

For years Shouryya has enjoyed what he calls 'intrinsic beauty' of maths.

When he was young, his father, an engineer, began testing his brain by setting him arithmetic problems.

After arriving from Calcutta four years ago without knowing any German, Shouryya is now fluent in the language.

His intelligence was quickly noted in class and he was pushed up two years in school - he is currently sitting his exams early.

Modestly Shouryya has pointed out he has weak points as a mathematician, and says he is not as competent in sport.

article-2150225-134D0A97000005DC-456_634x404.jpg

Congratulations to him. Hopefully in the future, Asia won't have to rely on Western countries to nurture the intelligence of their people, and more 'home-grown' geniuses can be found. Right now, the relationship is almost colonial, where 'raw materials' (undeveloped, unpolished human capital) are exported to the West, and then re-exported back as a finished product at exorbitant prices.

Congratulations to him. Hopefully in the future, Asia won't have to rely on Western countries to nurture the intelligence of their people, and more 'home-grown' geniuses can be found. Right now, the relationship is almost colonial, where 'raw materials' (undeveloped, unpolished human capital) are exported to the West, and then re-exported back as a finished product at exorbitant prices.

I can understand .... this was a tough one for you !!!

1. You can't question the source
2. You can't question that the guy came from Calcutta 4 years ago, with no knowledge of German language.
3. You can't sing "low IQ".
4. You can't sing "toilets", "caste caste".

Truly horrible thing to reply or comment on.

You have my sympathies.

śūnya_0_Zero;2975084 said:
No doubt you did.

But everyone understands your problem .... and you sure have my sympathies.

This one was "really" hard one to ridicule ....
Don't be so sure. Bots have a pocket dictionary to help them troll in difficult situations

On a more intellectual side .... does anyone here now understand to compute ... how a bouncing ball will move, after rebounding from a wall ...

It was years ago ... I did "laws of conservation of momentum" ... and "law of conservation of energy in elastic collisions".

There used to be some "co-efficient of restitution" too... isn't all this related ... or am I too much of an MBA and too little an engineer now.

the paranoia is strong with this one.

this topic doesn't pique my nationalism, because it has nothing to do with geopolitics. i have no desire to ridicule promising human talent, no matter their origin, because all of humanity can benefit. why do some indians hold such disbelief and suspicion when foreigners praise their achievements?

However, there are 7 mathematical problems that Clay Mathematics Institute claim are Millennium problems. Solution to each problem would fetch a million dollars. Only one that is Poincare conjecture has been solved until now by Grigoriy Perelman, arguably the greatest Mathematician alive today.

Shouryya should take up the challenge

Millennium Prize Problems

Back
Top Bottom