What's new

Indian RFP for six new-generation submarines

The US no longer make any diesel electric subs. So any US company must subcontract Europeans to manufacture these subs.

As for the price, it need to be high to gain more attention. Would the price actually paid be that high?? By logic, it wouldn't be so but with time, the vendors might again tried to jack up the price. So its better to set money on the side. And of course, don't discount politicians make money off the deal.

Politicians won't make money off the advertised figure..they will make money on top of this.

Anyway I don't think the figure quoted is right..one extra zero.

Price doesnt seems right. It needs more clarity. Could be a mistake from TOI in price, but hopefully the news for the Submarines is correct :):). I will modify the thread title till some kind of confirmation is there on the price of the subs and more details are out.
the price mentioned in the article is from some inside source of TOI, so it could be wrong. (or maybe there could also be something more/unique to the deal which is yet unknown.)

Last edited:
Great News !!! But i guess the RFI was issued sometime back -- as someone pointed out in 2008.
Anyways folks i ask you to hold back your jubiliation -- Our babus will make sure that the process is late as possible. But leaving Babu's asside -- I dont understand why private players are not being romped in. MDL is strectched , how much can they handle ?

Also i mentioned this on some other thread --

I can sense a renewed urgency in the way these RFI's are being churned out. It seems that India has suddenly decided to go on a weapon buying spree - which was not visible earlier. Guess GoI senses some real threat in the years to come--- now if only we could get that howitzers signed up

Holy Cow, about two Billion bucks for one sub??:woot:

What will they be, Ferrari of Subs??:cheesy:

This is one craziness of hell!!! Are they going mad???? Nearly two billion dollars for single submarine????? Recently they bought transport aircraft worth $ 540 million a piece!!!!! :hitwall: :angry:

What land attack capability they are talking about???!!!! Even upgraded Kilo has land attack capabilities. Most probably those new submarines will get Brahmos and Nirbhay! AIP???? lol

For how many $$$ Pakistan negotiated three U-214???? I think nearly one fourth of that a piece!

There is no doubt that those submarines will be advanced but at the end they will come up with ~Merlin+, ~U-214+, ~Amur-1650+ or something in the line of that!!!! But paying $ 2 billion for single one of those should be a crime. :disagree:

It's price has to be lower.

Or, maybe Antony saab was saying 15,000 and the reporter wrote it down as 50,000...

Thats most possible!

Notable absentee in RFP list is Americans..they wont be happy to miss out on such a big deal.

There is something wrong with the news. did TOI overshoot it or what??

Simple reason is that they stopped using Diesel electric subs long back.

Some confusion I guess, maybe some other stuff is included maybe 20 year supply who knows. Also TOI is known for exaggeration so maybe untrue.

The quote includes infrastructure development costs.

This price is a 30-year program for subs acquisition. This involves creating an extensive sub manufacturing facility at hindustan shipyard, V'pattanam, augmenting the facilities at MDL, and getting a private consortium onboard.

The entire project involves manufacturing of some 24 subs, projects 75 and 76.

BTW, what is avg cost of amur 1650 and S1000? Ptld3 may be able to answer this.

There are submarines costing 3.5 billion.

Which one? Is that a SSK?

It must be a nuclear submarine not small size SSK those India buying!!! Virginia class built by US, according to wiki costs ~ $ 2.8 billion but I would not worry if India were getting something like that for $ 3 billion a piece!!! Highly over-budget British Astute class costs $ 2 billion per submarine!!!!!

But this is madness!!! Example: Eurofighter is an advanced and excellent fighter but should we buy that for $ 350 million a piece?? NO.

Last edited:
The quote includes infrastructure development costs.

How much 'infrastructure' they need? They said same thing when buying Scorpene which also overpriced than others. They were said to be setting up 'facilities' for building modern submarines!!!!

Malaysia bought three Scorpenes for $ 972 million!!!! Our six Scorpene costing more than $ 4 billion and three/four years late!!!!! What we got from those extra money???

This acquisition is totally unacceptable! Huge waste of national resources. :hitwall:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom