What's new

Indian nuke subs game-changer in next war : Pak analyst

An SSBN may not be a major concern for Pakistan for the present, as its offensive use in a nuclear attack mode on Pakistan, would be responded with a massive nuclear retaliatory strike on India. Though it certainly would be a concern and its area of operation would also be kept under a nuclear watch for a surface or subsurface nuclear strike on Indian naval assets.

More dangerous would be the use of SSN in conventional attack mode. However, because it would be difficult to ascertain if an SSN is carrying nuclear weapons or not, it would still fall under a nuclear watch mode and would be tracked as a nuclear armed weapon platform. The chances that the response may therefore be identical as in the case of an SSBN, can not be understated. Even if the Indians announce publicly that their SSN would be employed in a conventional role before it joins an operation, the credibility of Indian announcement would be doubtful.

I therefore feel that Pakistan-India nuclear environment may not be assumed to be akin to the Western oriented thinking about the use of nuclear powered vehicles in conventional role.

The gap will increase exponentially post 2020 when we will have 2 akulas and 3 arihants

Are you kidding me love Arnab Goswami - Hes the cultured, educated & somewhat slightly more believable polar opposite of Zaid Hamid !

Tonight at 9.00

Debate of the century

56f0a82c9da4aa64999e9761ffd7d021.jpg

v/s

ZaidHamid09.jpg

Moderated by

arnab.jpg

DON"T MISS

Warning:
The viewers may end up like

arnabgoswami.jpg

The gap will increase exponentially post 2020 when we will have 2 akulas and 3 arihants

Such gaps become almost negligible under the environment governed by nuclear deterrent. At the end of the day, it is the nuclear thresholds which govern the environment, crossing of which by superior conventional forces would evoke a nuclear response. The balance therefore is retained at strategic level.

Such gaps become almost negligible under the environment governed by nuclear deterrent. At the end of the day, it is the nuclear thresholds which govern the environment, crossing of which by superior conventional forces would evoke a nuclear response. The balance therefore is retained at strategic level.

I guess you know that India has NFU policy,If some one crosses the the threshold it will be Pakistan.Though Indian SSBN is a china oriented development.

It is just that Nuclear Sub in irresponsible hands is dangerous for all neighbors. It may blow up like the other Indian Sub did.

well, according to you what happened to Ghazi? dont make irresponsible comments if you cant contribute!!

Indian sub accident was a kilo class sub. Not a nuclear sub.

And India have not operated nuclear subs for decades. India lease a sub in late 80s but returned in early 90s. And India just least an Akula. India never inducted another nuclear sub. The home made ones are still not inducted. Because India has virtually no nuclear subs, India never have any nuclear sub accidents. Because how can you have an accident when it barely operate lease subs of an established platform for a few years.
What do you mean to say? Accidents donot happen to a leased sub?

then why even keep an army...............just keep on making((er importing i mean:taz:)) missiles??

then why even keep an army...............just keep on making((er importing i mean:taz:)) missiles??

One has to maintain a balance between the conventional and nuclear forces. If the conventional forces are weaker, the nuclear forces become predominant and if the conventional forces are stronger, the nuclear forces take a bake seat. However, one do need the conventional forces because for aspects where nuclear weapons (which are weapons of mass destruction) may not be used, conventional forces have to be used.

I guess you know that India has NFU policy,If some one crosses the the threshold it will be Pakistan.Though Indian SSBN is a china oriented development.

Pakistan's nuclear threshold would certainly be shallow because of geography and the relative balance that the conventional forces provide. I already stated in my earlier post that SSBN may not be the major concern for Pakistan, whereas SSN would certainly be.

Back
Top Bottom