What's new

Indian navy's project 15B is now Bengaluru class destroyers???

Yeah I wasn't sure on this one, I have heard various calibres so I just went for the most conservative, I would expect a 127mm though.

127 beml for frigates otomerela 130 ak 130 ins kolkata an so on, bloody wiki contradicts itself!

why not have ships named after major fort cities
like Gwalior, Chittorgarh, Jaisalmer,

Bangalore is Awesome, I'm Studying here for past 5 years but the current name Bangaluru totally sucks...So sad of some typical Kannada organizations

this is not unique to karnataka. Its my 2nd year in bang and 4th in south india and i like bang most closely followed by filter coffee. ;)

In January 2011, the Indian Cabinet Committee for Security approved four more Kolkata destroyers to be built as Project 15B. The Project 15B vessel will retain the hull form of Kolkata class destroyers and most of its systems, there will be some significant upgrades. For example, some structural changes in the superstructure will improve stealth and include better sound and infrared suppression. The Project 15B will also differ from the Project 15A through employing a fully flush deck. This will improves stealth because of the smoothness of the overall deck with far fewer angles and corners. The displacement of each Project 15B will be approximately 7,000 tons, a 200 ton addition over the Project 15A Kolkatas.

. Project 15B will also be armed with the new Nirbhay land attack cruise missile (1,000 km range), the hypersonic Brahmos-II anti-ship cruise missile (300 km range) and an Extended Range Surface to Air Missile (ER-SAM) (100 km range).

Construction of the first Project 15B, INS Bengaluru, D66, has already started and is well underway..

Thanks for info

BTW I think 7,000 is standard displacement and full is around 7800 tons

^^ wiki said the displacement of P15B destroyers will be 8,000 tons, I think its maximum displacement

- ~8,000 tonnes

Sensors include:

-EL/M-2248 S-band active phased-array multi-function surveillance and threat alert radar (MF-STAR)

Naval+Barak-2+%2528left%2529+%2526+ELM-2248+MF-STAR.jpg

The MF-STAR uses pulse-Doppler techniques, multiple beam-forming and advanced high-PRF waveforms to extract stressing and low radar cross-section threats even in conditions of heavy jamming and dense clutter. Key functionalities include three-dimensional volume search, missile horizon search, multi-target tracking, surface surveillance, helicopter detection, gunnery control and splash spotting. The MF-STAR can initiate tracks against sea-skimming anti-ship cruise missiles at ranges in excess of 25km, and out to more than 250km for a high-flying combat aircraft. On the MF-STAR fibre-optic cables have replaced the earlier-generation waveguide and coax cables, which has substantially reduced the radar’s weight so it can be installed on board warships.

-RAN-40L Air Search Radar (same system is used on the IAC-1 and P-17A)

RAN-40L+radar.jpg

Indigenous+Aircraft+Carrier+INS+Vikrant.jpg

Btw, (IMHO) this combo of the RAN-40L and EL/M-2248 MF-STAR offers the IN, arguably, the most capable such system on the sea, bar none. This view is shared by many in the defence world.

Weapons:

-64 (in vertical launch systems) Barak-2’s MR-SAM ( @Yogi I have heard the BARAK-8ER with 120KM range will be fitted but this remains to be confirmed)

-100 mm gun

It will have 130mm gun. Check the following link:
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kolkata-class-guided-missile-destroyers/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom