Indian Navy to induct a nuclear submarine by 2009

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indian Navy to induct a nuclear submarine by 2009
Tahir Nazir | Sep 10, 2007, 13:19

A top Indian scientist has cleared all the rumours and suggests that India is building a nuclear submarine.

The announcement was given by the former chairman of India's Atomic Energy Commission.

India began the development of its nuclear submarine since the 1970s, but has struggled to produce a suitable nuclear reactor in secret naval project code-named Advanced Technology Vessel.

Although the rumours and credible information suggested that India is in the process of building nuclear submarine it was never publicly admitted.

"Indian scientists and technologists are capable of making light water reactors and we are already constructing an LWR at Kalpakkam in south India for (the) submarine," said P.K. Iyengar, the former Atomic Energy Commission chairman.

Light water reactors, which is still under construction uses ordinary water to sustain nuclear reactions, used in nuclear powered submarines because they are much safer.

Iyengar said that there was no need for the U.S. light water reactor technology because India already has this knowledge and currently is building one.

Sources suggest that nuclear submarine will be modified 5,000 ton version of the Russian Charlie-II class submarine, which has similarities of Charlie class submarine, which India leased from Soviet Union as a training vessel for its sailors.

The sea trials for the submarine will begin by next year, and the submarine to be abducted by navy in 2009, giving it a capability to launch nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles.

India currently is beefing up its naval power by acquiring different submarines, ships, missiles, and is in the process to also build an aircraft carrier.

http://www.defence.pk/news/publish/Indian_Navy_to_induct_a_nuclear_submarine_by_2009_20070910.php

Does this effect our naval capability? IMO, Pakistan is building one too.

Obiviously it does affect our capabilities but more it affect chinese capabilities., the reason is that this Sub will give india the ability for a second strike, besides what if india decides to all out nuclear with pakistan at the first place sidelining its no first use nuclear policy, pakistan should have a second strikie capability.
There was a news once that pakistan desires to make a nuke sub and president Musharraf will talk with the chinese counterpart during his visit to pakistan about a possible deal for manufacturing a nuke sub in pakistan with chinese assistance. I hevent heard about it since then, anyone who can shed some light on it.

Does this effect our naval capability? IMO, Pakistan is building one too.

When I say, Pakistan is building one too. Not necessarily it means that i has yet the full capability to do so. IMO, it is in the initial stages (thats all a speculation) but thats all one can do with the secretive indeginious programs going on behind the scenes.

Light water reactor

A light water reactor or LWR is a thermal nuclear reactor that uses ordinary water, also called light water, as its neutron moderator. This differentiates it from a heavy water reactor, which uses heavy water as a neutron moderator. In practice all LWRs are also water cooled. While ordinary water has some heavy water molecules in it, it is not enough to be important in most applications.

The most common LWRs are pressurized water reactors and boiling water reactors.

The Russian abbreviation for LWR is VVR (or sometimes WWR), meaning water water reactor. Similarly, the Russian term for a PWR is VVER, meaning water water energy reactor.

Many other reactors are also (light) water cooled, notably the RBMK and some military plutonium production reactors. These are not regarded as LWRs, as they are moderated by graphite, and as a result their nuclear characteristics are very different.

The light-water reactor uses uranium 235 as a fuel, enriched to approximately 3 percent. Although this is its major fuel, the uranium 238 atoms also contribute to the fission process by converting to plutonium 239 — about one-half of which is consumed in the reactor. Light-water reactors are generally refueled every 12 to 18 months, at which time, about 25 percent of the fuel is replaced.

Light water reactors tend to be simpler and cheaper to build than heavy water reactors. Power-generating capabilities are comparable.

Light water reactors are the type used by the U.S. military in its Naval nuclear powered vessels. This is so due to the inherent safety of these type reactors. Since light water is used as both a coolant and a moderator in these reactors, if one of these reactors suffers damage due to attack, and thereby compromise of the reactor core's integrity, the ensuing release of this light water acts to shut down the reactor. This is due to its moderator function. Moderators help to encourage the nuclear mass to achieve fission by lowering the average speed of the neutrons to a level which augments the probability of occurrence of neutron-Uranium collisions susceptible to lead to an Uranium nucleus fission. When the moderator is removed, the average energy of the neutrons becomes too high for the chain reaction to sustain itself. Currently-offered LWRs include the ABWR, AP1000, ESBWR, European Pressurized Reactor, VVER and SWR-1000.

Light water reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I say, Pakistan is building one too. Not necessarily it means that i has yet the full capability to do so. IMO, it is in the initial stages (thats all a speculation) but thats all one can do with the secretive indeginious programs going on behind the scenes.

India is rumoured to be getting ready to take a few akulas on lease before the ATVs are operationalised.

If so, at which location do you think the work is going on? Did u read it anywhere?

Webby, i believe the rumours pertained to Pakistan having a nuclear armed submarine, not a nuclear propelled submarine. In Pakistan's case, against India that is, they dont need an SSN, just a submarine capable of firing nukes.

Webby, i believe the rumours pertained to Pakistan having a nuclear armed submarine, not a nuclear propelled submarine. In Pakistan's case, against India that is, they dont need an SSN, just a submarine capable of firing nukes.

It is personally a good technology to have. The submarine doesn't have to submerge typically at all. Do you know how long can Agosta-90B, Scorpene, U214 can stay in the water before they have to come up? Even with the advantages of nuclear submarine while it can stay in water, what about the food for personnel? Any thought?

nuclear powered submarine is needed if u have ambitions of being a blue water navy. PN is more more for safeguarding Pak coastline than as a projection of power, and as such, doesnt need SSNs

nuclear powered submarine is needed if u have ambitions of being a blue water navy. PN is more more for safeguarding Pak coastline than as a projection of power, and as such, doesnt need SSNs

To some extent i aggree with you, but recently i heard the PN chief saying to change the navies role from defending the coastline to a mature role in international waters and safeguarding pakistans interest and also to protect the searoutes from terrorists, so for that we would definetly need a nuclear sub. Besides it will also give us a nuclear traid detterence i.e. from air, land and sea. Pakistan will have a secong strike capability.

india is 10th biggest economy in world but pak is not so india can afford any such kind of system

india is 10th biggest economy in world but pak is not so india can afford any such kind of system

You need to be the 10th biggest economy in order to have or support nuclear powered submarine? Another big joke. :hitwall:

Back
Top Bottom