What's new

UK Launches Massive, Nuclear-Powered Submarine

yes of course the U.S is still by far the most powerful navy in the world. But the british navy/miliatry is still ahead/better othan the U.S in some sectors, e.g our SAS are better trained than the U.S and our astute clas are the best of its class in the world.:agree: if only we still had the economic/financial power of the U.S or even China, then we will be a power equal to the U.S militarily.:cheesy:

Astute class can only be considered comparable to Virginia class and not better. In fact BAe needed technical assistance from the US when it ranto problems with the development of Astute class.

HMS_Astute_Arrives_at_Faslane_for_the_First_Time_MOD_45150820.jpg
Just some kick a#$ pics.

HMS_Ambush.jpg

Astute%20class%20submarine_Crown%20copyright%202.jpg

469723_10151299971618205_2090265728_o.jpg

HMS_Ambush_long.jpg

HMS_Ambush_Arriving_at_HMNB_Clyde_MOD_45154431.jpg

Inside-a-Submarine.jpg

Is there any requirement for subs to be stealthy when they surface? Looking at this pic it seems that this sub is designed to evade both sonar and radar.

This must be stealthy to jets.

Subs present a very low-profile to any surface Radar in the first place. And the design of the surface area visible when surfaced does help to a certain extent. Most of all the aspect presented to a Radar is the most important criterion wrt Radar visibility.

All that having been said; the Sub's hull form is heavily optimised for below surface performance, since modern Subs spend so little time surfaced.

Subs present a very low-profile to any surface Radar in the first place. And the design of the surface area visible when surfaced does help to a certain extent. Most of all the aspect presented to a Radar is the most important criterion wrt Radar visibility.
All that having been said; the Sub's hull form is heavily optimised for below surface performance, since modern Subs spend so little time surfaced.

There are radars mounted on ships and boats, even luxury boats, cant those radars pick a sub when they are surfaced? So subs are not required to be stealthy when in port or surfaced near port?

There are radars mounted on ships and boats, even luxury boats, cant those radars pick a sub when they are surfaced? So subs are not required to be stealthy when in port or surfaced near port?

Subs can be picked up on radar. But the question is at what range? Then do remember that the Sub is likely to surface only close to her own harbor, not an enemy harbor; so then being detected is of dubious value.

About the Sub as a Radar target; do look at the Sub when surfaced, even a large one like HMS Astute. Most of her is visible only in the 'broadside on' i.e. side view and far less in the 'end on' i.e from dead ahead or dead astern.
That will then give you an indication of how she will "paint" on a Radar when surfaced.

Is there any requirement for subs to be stealthy when they surface? Looking at this pic it seems that this sub is designed to evade both sonar and radar.

This must be stealthy to jets.

Picture an oceanic environment. Project coning tower height against average wave height: a small and difficult target to begin with. These subs towers are strengthened: the bridge fin of the Astute-class boats is specially reinforced to allow surfacing through ice caps. That partly explaines its shape. Being an SSN, why surface? The only flaw is its human complement: food and stores run out. Otherwise, it can stay under indefinitely (it generates its own oxigen and water)

Any new advantage on other susubmarines ..
:woot::coffee:
SSGNS

You linked Articles without reading them :lol: basically your link proved my previous point :flame:
I trolled baited another troll to derailing the thread :lol: .

pg-4-food-bank-graph-1.jpg

increasing poverty ?? while we are decreasing ;)

How does Hypocrisy feel like :haha: .

Either way, am off.. at least now one would feel how it stupid it is to link poverty in issues of Defence and technology like most Brits usually do...
At least they feed the poor instead of letting them die in the streets...

brits dont need them :D
i was intern at bae when i graduated. because of my iranian citizenship they didnt offer me a contract ! bunch of douchebags if u ask me.

Many jobs at BAE require US or UK citizenship or citizenship of the country where BAE is hiring at least. It's not simply because your citizenship was Iranian, you could have been Australian for that matter and not get the contract.

Back
Top Bottom