What's new

Brazil builds nuclear submarine to patrol offshore oil

Good development from brazil. ..
I am sure that soon we will see Nsub in PN ... they are working from a long time .. May Allah give them success

Sir Babur 2 ka kia hoa... Intezar ker ker ke thak gai hien hum log...

Babur 2 is ready, who knows, already tested ;)

what king of experimental sub reactor research?? in Mush era there were some news about it, but since then no news about nuclear subs, and there were news that Pakistan may work with Brazil to develop N-Sub what happen to that??

Top Secret - but research and development on line, help from many, even western companies. ;)

In 2008, Brazil and France signed an agreement to build 4 diesel-electric submarines (SSK), and provide assistance in developing and fielding the non-nuclear parts of 1 nuclear fast attack submarine (SSN).
Construction of Brazil’s nuclear boat is expected to begin in 2015, and it’s expected to enter service in 2021. Cost for the submarine is pegged at about EUR 2 billion, with EUR 1.25 billion assigned to Brazil’s indigenous Project Aramar nuclear propulsion/ power program. DCNS’ role involves assistance with hull technology and construction, and with non-nuclear internal technologies.
Brazil & France in Deal for SSKs, SSN

At least 2 years behind schedule, therefore?

Brazil launches construction of four Scorpene-class submarines
07:34 17/07/2011

RIO DE JANEIRO, July 17 (RIA Novosti)

Related News
The construction of four Scorpene-class attack submarines for the Brazilian Navy was launched on Saturday at a plant near Rio de Janeiro.

Brazil and France signed a $4.25-billion contract on the construction of the four enlarged S-BR diesel-electric submarines, jointly designed by France and Spain, in 2008. The first submarine is expected to enter service in 2017.

Scorpene-class submarines are equipped with six 533-mm torpedo tubes for 18 torpedoes or SM.39 Exocet anti-ship missiles, or 30 mines in place of torpedoes.

Unlike other modifications of the Scorpene-class submarine, the S-BR submarine is not equipped with an air-independent propulsion (AIP) system which allows a submarine to operate without the need to surface or use a snorkel to access atmospheric oxygen.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, who was present at Saturday's ceremony, said the construction of the submarines was an important step that would help the Brazilian Navy reach a new level of technological development.

Brazil and France have also signed an agreement to develop a French/Brazilian nuclear powered submarine. In line with the deal, Brazil's first nuclear submarine is scheduled to enter service in 2023.

Brazil launches construction of four Scorpene-class submarines | World | RIA Novosti

World
Brazil aims to build first nuclear sub within 12 years - agency
© Vitaly An'kov
14:15 18/05/2009

RIO DE JANEIRO, May 18 (RIA Novosti) - Brazil may build its first nuclear-powered submarine in 12 years, the Estado news agency said Monday, citing military sources.

The Brazilian military, which has five conventionally powered submarines in service with the navy, has been seeking to build a nuclear submarine for decades amid worries about the security of its offshore oil reserves.

According to the Brazilian navy, a decision has been made to construct a new submarine base and a shipyard capable of building diesel-electric and nuclear-powered submarines on one of the islands near the coast of Rio de Janeiro state.

Brazil has been closely cooperating with France on the project. In line with a bilateral agreement announced in December last year, France will help Brazil build the base and four modified Scorpene-type diesel-electric subs under a French license. The first submarine is to be delivered in 2014, and the rest of the class is to follow at two-year intervals.

The same agreement envisions a massive technology transfer from France, which is essential to Brazil's hopes of building a nuclear submarine.

"We need a nuclear submarine because Brazil has a long coast and deep water and we need a submarine with the capacity to go to any part of our waters with agility," Antonio Carlos Frade Carneiro, head of the navy's re-equipment program, said earlier.

While France will participate in designing the nuclear submarine, the official said, the nuclear plant will be an all-Brazilian design. A land-based prototype is set to become operational in 2014, and the submarine's reactor is planned to be ready for installation in 2019, he said.

Brazil, with its nuclear power plants, vast reserves of uranium, advanced refinement capabilities, trained nuclear scientists and various research facilities, and Argentina are the only Latin American countries with significant nuclear capabilities.

If the project succeeds, Brazil will become the first Latin American nation to possess a nuclear-powered submarine.
Brazil aims to build first nuclear sub within 12 years - agency | World | RIA Novosti

old stories

Last edited:
Good development, can Pakistan get benefit from this?

Unlike conventional submarines, which run on electric or diesel engines and have to resurface every 12 to 24 hours to refuel, nuclear submarines run on atomic power and can stay immersed indefinitely.

Whats the obsession with Nuclear Subs? Just that they can stay underwater longer?

You do know that's only beneficial if the nation in possession has:

Abundant $$$$$.
Location to dumb the used Nuclear fuel.
ICBMs in the Subs.
Global Interests, not regional.
Ability to make the Nuclear Sub quieter than the Diesel fueled.

And most importantly: Nation has protocols in place for it's use.

We're talking about Pakistan which doesn't even have protocols in place for ASF to counterattack an attack on an Airport.
Pakistan which places more significance on protecting Politicians than the common man.

Diesel subs are good enough for the PN for now. It can order up plenty of Agosta90Bs or whatnot rather than go for a D!ck measuring contest against India. Remember it was a Arms Race that brought down a "SuperPower".

With the proliferation of Diesel Subs and the Technological advancement, Diesel Subs have improved performance over their 1950-90s predecessors.

They can remain submerged longer (AIP).
Turn off their engines, while still report enemy movement around.

Whats the obsession with Nuclear Subs? Just that they can stay underwater longer?
You do know that's only beneficial if the nation in possession has:
Abundant $$$$$.
Location to dumb the used Nuclear fuel.
ICBMs in the Subs.
Global Interests, not regional.
Ability to make the Nuclear Sub quieter than the Diesel fueled.
And most importantly: Nation has protocols in place for it's use.
We're talking about Pakistan which doesn't even have protocols in place for ASF to counterattack an attack on an Airport.
Pakistan which places more significance on protecting Politicians than the common man.
Diesel subs are good enough for the PN for now. It can order up plenty of Agosta90Bs or whatnot rather than go for a D!ck measuring contest against India. Remember it was a Arms Race that brought down a "SuperPower".
With the proliferation of Diesel Subs and the Technological advancement, Diesel Subs have improved performance over their 1950-90s predecessors.
They can remain submerged longer (AIP).
Turn off their engines, while still report enemy movement around.

Pakistan is in war with terrorists but it does not mean that they don't need Nuclear Subs, Pakistan needs them to complete its triad and achieve credible 2nd strike capability which conventional subs can't provide.

Pakistan is in war with terrorists but it does not mean that they don't need Nuclear Subs, Pakistan needs them to complete its triad and achieve credible 2nd strike capability which conventional subs can't provide.

so conventional subs cant be retrofitted to carry nuclear tipped missiles?

I don't have an obsession with nuclear subs, I just posted an article, and personally think the sentence that you quoted me on is flawed. "Diesel subs have to surface every 12~24 hours to refuel"

Last edited:
I don't have an obsession with nuclear subs, I just posted an article, and personally think the sentence that you quoted me on is flawed. "Diesel subs do not have to surface every 12~24 hours to refuel"

I have trouble highlighting and waiting for the Quote Me button to appear. I admit I cherry picked the sentence, its flawed on AFP's part.

The indian subs are very, very loud, sitting ducks for any decent sonar equipped navy, we have already got their acoustic signature..
Since you are using plural, which Indian subs (sub types) are you referring to precisely?

. "Diesel subs have to surface every 12~24 hours to refuel"
To reload batteries, maybe. Not to refuel.

Play nice, please, gentlemen.

Good for Brazil, if theres any country in the BRICS i like and think its quite peaceful/has positive world influence, then its Brazil. And having been to sao polo...........huh......i must say their girls are beautiful/sexy.:D:girl_wink::smitten::tup:

Since you are using plural, which Indian subs (sub types) are you referring to precisely?

To reload batteries, maybe. Not to refuel.

Play nice, please, gentlemen.
Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand it. I said that statement was "flawed" meaning that I don't agree with it!

I don't have an obsession with nuclear subs, I just posted an article, and personally think the sentence that you quoted me on is flawed. "Diesel subs have to surface every 12~24 hours to refuel"

Referring to their so-called "indigenous" nuke sub.
They have just started the sea trails and u know everything about them? (Oh u already have their acoustic signature i forgot)

Back
Top Bottom