What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

By the look of it, IAC-1 can carry upto 14 LCA on the deck. Along with 3 Helicoptors. Assuming the hangar below holds at least 16 LCA and 7 Heli, ICA-1 can carry upto 40 Aicrafts :tup:
I wouldn't read too much into this model and remember the fighter wing will be a mix of the NLCA and the much larger MiG-29K/KUBs who will inherently take up more space.

I wouldn't read too much into this model and remember the fighter wing will be a mix of the NLCA and the much larger MiG-29K/KUBs who will inherently take up more space.

Indian Navy wanted Indian aircraft to fly off Indian built Aircraft carrier. That is how the Indian Navy thinks, Fiercely proud of anything India and totally committed to Indigenous development and taking immense pride in it.

If you observe closely, all the helicopters on that model are also of Dhruv.

Mig 29K was a back up plan in case LCA did not materialize.

Indian Navy wanted Indian aircraft to fly off Indian built Aircraft carrier. That is how the Indian Navy thinks, Fiercely proud of anything India and totally committed to Indigenous development and taking immense pride in it.

Nope, if wing folding not going to possible in NLCA ( which is actually not), then IN is not that much idiot, to go with it.

Nah bro this isn't correct. Yes this model depicts a utopian all "Made/designed in India" vision but it won't be like this in reality. The helos will be S-70Bs and (foreign) NLUHs, and the MiG-29Ks will be the main component of the IAC-1/Vikramditya's air wings simply because they are many times more capable than the N-LCA. The IN supports indigenous efforts of course but they aren't going to hamper their capabilities in the quest for indigenisation.

In 20 years India will likely be in the position to field all Indian CBGs with incredibly indigenous content but not today, not tomorrow and not for the IAC-1 or even IAC-2.

Nah bro this isn't correct. Yes this model depicts a utopian all "Made/designed in India" vision but it won't be like this in reality. The helos will be S-70Bs and (foreign) NLUHs, and the MiG-29Ks will be the main component of the IAC-1/Vikramditya's air wings simply because they are many times more capable than the N-LCA. The IN supports indigenous efforts of course but they aren't going to hamper their capabilities in the quest for indigenisation.

In 20 years India will likely be in the position to field all Indian CBGs with incredibly indigenous content but not today, not tomorrow and not for the IAC-1 or even IAC-2.

Which is what I said. It shows Indian Nay INTENTION and Desire.

Having two set of Fighter jets on board an AC creates is own set of problems, especially regarding maintenance, skill and pilots. It would provide more operational Flexibility, but it would be a logistics nightmare.

Which is what I said. It shows Indian Nay INTENTION and Desire.
Intention is one thing but you have made out the NLCA is the IN's preferred option with the massively more capable MiG-29K as the "back up plan" which is simply not true and illogical.

Having two set of Fighter jets on board an AC creates is own set of problems, especially regarding maintenance, skill and pilots. It would provide more operational capability, but it would be a logistics nightmare.
To an extent yes but it has happened in the past in other navies and within the IN itself so it can be done.

Intention is one thing but you have made out the NLCA is the IN's preferred option with the massively more capable MiG-29K as the "back up plan" which is simply not true and illogical.

To an extent yes but it has happened in the past in other navies and within the IN itself so it can be done.

What? Of course it can be done and it will continue to be done. Different aircraft, for different tasks can and will operate together on one Carrier. Nothing new or strange.

Why on earth does one come with gross exaggerations like "logistical nightmare" to describe that? Even a basic IA unit like a company or Battalion maintains different vehicles or eqpt. on its strength. Is that a "logistical nightmare"?

What? Of course it can be done and it will continue to be done. Different aircraft, for different tasks can and will operate together on one Carrier. Nothing new or strange.

Why on earth does one come with gross exaggerations like "logistical nightmare" to describe that? Even a basic IA unit like a company or Battalion maintains different vehicles or eqpt. on its strength. Is that a "logistical nightmare"?

A land based unit has easy access to spare parts and repair kits, not to mention little limitation in space. An operational AC will not have that level of logistic support. They will have to carry everything themselves in a limited amount of space.

Considering that IN till recently carried only one type of Jet, will also determine operational mix.

A land based unit has easy access to spare parts and repair kits, not to mention little limitation in space. An operational AC will not have that level of logistic support. They will have to carry everything themselves in a limited amount of space.

Considering that IN in recent tradition carried only one type of Jet will also determine operational mix.

BTW, I did get to see the IN's Carriers close-up in my time, and also how the Hangar Deck was utilised to carry and support all the aircraft on board. Nothing new or unfamiliar to me. :)

The IN will deploy aircraft on its Carriers as per its operational doctrines; that has also controlled which aircraft the IN has chosen to induct, among other conditions.

BTW, I did get to see the IN's Carriers close-up in my time, and also how the Hangar Deck was utilised to carry and support all the aircraft on board. Nothing new or unfamiliar to me. :)

The IN will deploy aircraft on its Carriers as per its operational doctrines; that has also controlled which aircraft the IN has chosen to induct, among other conditions.

I am talking about its operational doctrine. Still time will tell.

You are right that is happens, the IN did so flying the Alize and Sea Hawks off INS Vikrant. But then I don't think we can ignore the trend across the world is to go for a single platform (USN- EA-6 and F-18 are to be replaced by the F-35 in the long term, for the FrN the Rafale will replace all Super Étendards). That is not to say the NLCA cannot be operated alongside the MiG-29K from IN ACCs, just there is cost for doing so but then there is also a considerable benefit so why not?

You are right that is happens, the IN did so flying the Alize and Sea Hawks off INS Vikrant. But then I don't think we can ignore the trend across the world is to go for a single platform (USN- EA-6 and F-18 are to be replaced by the F-35 in the long term, for the FrN the Rafale will replace all Super Étendards). That is not to say the NLCA cannot be operated alongside the MiG-29K from IN ACCs, just there is cost for doing so but then there is also a considerable benefit so why not?

All trends are not necessarily universal. Every Force has to work according to its operational doctrines (primarily) within its operating environment. Ditto for the IN. As we can see; it seems to parallel some trends internationally in some respects and does not in some respects.
Everything has to be 'tailor-made' or 'custom-designed', in a manner of speaking.

All trends are not necessarily universal. Every Force has to work according to its operational doctrines (primarily) within its operating environment. Ditto for the IN. As we can see; it seems to parallel some trends internationally in some respects and does not in some respects.
Everything has to be 'tailor-made' or 'custom-designed', in a manner of speaking.
Yes, this is a very fair analysis and I wasn't actually questioning the IN's decision to operate a mixed fighter compliment from ACCs, I think for a number of reasons this is beneficial and justified.

Ministry of Defence23-February, 2015 12:44 IST

CNS visit to Bangladesh 23-26 Feb 15

Admiral RK Dhowan, Chief of Naval Staff is on an official visit to Bangladesh from 23 to 26 Feb 15. The visit is intended to further consolidate the defence relations between the two countries and also to explore new avenues for naval cooperation towards achieving comprehensive maritime security in the Bay of Bengal.

During his stay at Bangladesh, the Chief of Naval Staff is scheduled to hold bilateral discussions with the three Service Chiefs at Dhaka as well as ‘call-on’ the President and the Prime Minister. The CNS will also visit various training and operational facilities at Khulna and Chittagong.

The Indian and Bangladeshi Navies cooperate with each other in various areas of technical training, participation in Victory Day celebrations, Navy to Navy Staff Talks as well as through interactions at various multilateral fora such as the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium, and the Western Pacific Naval Symposium. The Bangladeshi Navy has been regularly participating in the MILAN series of exercises conducted by Indian Navy at Port Blair, and warships from both Navies call at each other’s ports. These avenues for cooperation provide excellent opportunity for professional exchanges, developing interoperability and to build camaraderie.

The major issues that are likely to be discussed by the Chief of Naval Staff include exchange of white shipping information towards development of comprehensive maritime domain awareness, cooperation in maritime infrastructure development, training and exchange of subject matter experts. In addition, Bangladesh Navy has been invited to attend the prestigious International Fleet Review being organised by the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam in Feb 2016.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom