What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

cjY7zg4.jpg

I always liked it this way-flight decks crowded with aircraft ;)

Rs 50k-cr naval project gets Cabinet nod

The Cabinet Committee on Security on Tuesday sanctioned the country's biggest naval project, the construction of seven stealth frigates for Rs 45,381 crore. Mazagon Dock Ltd (MDL), Mumbai , will build four of these, while Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers, Kolkata (GRSE), simultaneously builds the other three.

This project, dubbed Project 17A, follows on from the earlier Project 17

The timeline for Project 17A allows each shipyard a preparatory period of two years, in which they will prepare for construction and place orders for long-lead items like engines and transmission. Then they will actually build the warship over five years. The first two frigates would be delivered by MDL and GRSE in 2022, with the rest coming in pairs at one-year intervals.

@Penguin will it really take 2022 to roll out first frigate ? i don't see big timeline advantage here. How do Chinese or Koreans do it in three years?
Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LR-SAM) = Barak 8

2+5 years doesn't seem unreasonable..

First French Fremm > laid down 2007 (build start), launched 2010 (float out), commissioned 2012 (in service) = 5.5 yr
Moroccan FREMM > 2008, mid 2011, early 2014 = 5-6 yr
First Italian Fremm > February 2008, 16 July 2011, 29 May 2013 = 5+ yr
1st French horizon > April 2002, March 2005, December 2008 = 6.5 yr
1st italian Horizon > July 2002, October 2005, December 2007 =6.5 yr
1st type 45 > March 2003, February 2006, July 2009 = 6 yrs
1st Dutch LCF > laid down September, 1998, launched April, 2000, commissioned April, 2002 = <4 yr
2nd F-100 Alcaro de Bazan > October 2001, February 2002, December 2003 = <3 yrs
1st Schsen class F124 > February 1999, January 2001, December 2003 = 4yr

1st KDX3 > launched May 2007 , commissioned December 2008
1st KDX2> launched May 2002, commisioned November 2003

Arleigh Burke > launched September 1989, commisioned July 1991 (1st flight 1)
Mahan> launched June 1996, commissioned February 1998 (1st Flight 2)
Micheal Murphy > launched May 2011, commisioned October 2012 (last Flight IIA: 5"/62, one 20mm CIWS variant)

In this respect, the massive Chinese building program is NOT representative....

Last edited:
Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LR-SAM) = Barak 8

2+5 years doesn't seem unreasonable..

First French Fremm > laid down 2007 (build start), launched 2010 (float out), commissioned 2012 (in service) = 5.5 yr
Moroccan FREMM > 2008, mid 2011, early 2014 = 5-6 yr
First Italian Fremm > February 2008, 16 July 2011, 29 May 2013 = 5+ yr
1st French horizon > April 2002, March 2005, December 2008 = 6.5 yr
1st italian Horizon > July 2002, October 2005, December 2007 =6.5 yr
1st type 45 > March 2003, February 2006, July 2009 = 6 yrs
1st KDX3 > launched May 2007 , commissioned December 2008
1st KDX2> launched May 2002, commisioned November 2003

In this respect, the Chinese building program are NOT representative....
From what has been written they are saying the construction will take 60 months (5 years) down from 72 months for the P-17s but then they state the first deliveries will only be in 2022 (by which I assume they mean deliveries to the IN) so I am guessing this additional 2 years are for user trails on the first examples of the P-17As with the remaining vessels adhering more closely to 5-5.5 years from keel laying to commissioning.

From what has been written they are saying the construction will take 60 months (5 years) down from 72 months for the P-17s but then they state the first deliveries will only be in 2022 (by which I assume they mean deliveries to the IN) so I am guessing this additional 2 years are for user trails on the first examples of the P-17As with the remaining vessels adhering more closely to 5-5.5 years from keel laying to commissioning.
The timeline for Project 17A allows each shipyard a preparatory period of two years, in which they will prepare for construction and place orders for long-lead items like engines and transmission. Then they will actually build the warship over five years. The first two frigates would be delivered by MDL and GRSE in 2022, with the rest coming in pairs at one-year intervals.
Still i don't understand why they want 2 years of preparation.As @Penguin said 5 yr + 0.5 yr (trial) is perfect.order them and engine and transmission will be ready when the main hull is ready.

Ah, that makes sense then. Two years seems a little long for preparations to be made but then I guess it is better to take this approach- plan well ahead of time then fail to plan and run into troubles later (as has happened with indigenous projects in the past).

They are allowing for integration of new systems into the existing design, something not to be underestimated (see Talwar experience). Besides, yards are busy. Time added at the front, not the rear.

They are allowing for integration of new systems into the existing design, something not to be underestimated (see Talwar experience). Besides, yards are busy. Time added at the front, not the rear.
Yes @Agent_47 has clarified that for me. I guess it makes sense, would have been preferable (from a fanboy point of view) for an earlier induction date but I can't really argue against the logic of having these 2 years at the start and the fact that all subsequent P-17As will be built in 5 years is not something I can turn my nose up at- that's quite something.

This modular building should see better timeline also because if one shipyard falls behind, another like grse can make the same module. Will also reduce the time in refit and modernization by modular replacement

The naval plan seems to be moving forward in the right direction. Better to plan for 2 years to allow for any possible delay.

Govt okays plan for building 6 N-submarines, 7 frigates - Rediff.com India News

29sld3.jpg
The government has cleared the indigenous construction of seven stealth frigates and six nuclear-powered submarines to bolster naval power.

Defence sources said the decision was taken recently by the Cabinet Committee on Security.

The decision to build the six new submarines is part of the 30-year submarine building programme cleared in 1999. The plan is to have 24 submarines in 30 years. The first project was the P75, under which six Scorpene submarines are being built in India.

Another project for six more submarines was cleared by the government last year and this project was titled P75I. The Request for Proposal for the project is likely to be issued in March.

"The government has tweaked the project under which the CCS has taken a decision that the next six submarines would be nuclear-powered, unlike the conventional ones that were envisaged," sources said explaining the recent decision.

They said it was different from the P75I project and was already envisaged when the 30-year project was cleared.

The government has also decided to go ahead with the 'Project-17A' for stealth frigates under which four will be constructed at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai and three at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers in Kolkata.

By the look of it, IAC-1 can carry upto 14 LCA on the deck. Along with 3 Helicoptors. Assuming the hangar below holds at least 16 LCA and 7 Heli, ICA-1 can carry upto 40 Aicrafts :tup:

Back
Top Bottom