What's new

Indian Navy emerging as a major air force

Ontopic- Navy is doing some serious work without making a lot of noise :cheers:
Indeed, and not just on the naval air front but look at their base building projects! They are building mammoth bases across India without drawing much attention.

Hey @Abingdonboy; its not for nothing that the Navy has historically been called the "silent service" !! :D

That moniker is usually applied to the submarine arms. Ironically for the IN, that's the one arm that hasn't undergone a silent revolution.

That moniker is usually applied to the submarine arms. Ironically for the IN, that's the one arm that hasn't undergone a silent revolution.

No, not really. It started with the RN being given the label of both "senior service" and later "silent service".
In India; the RIN held the status of "senior service" based on that model. However on 26th Jan, 1950 that passed on to the IA; much mourned by the IN !
The RN is still the senior service. 
I am more interested in the ELF facility coming up for communication with the SSBNs.:-)

That will be more silent (hush-hush) than anything else that we can think of. Right now; as we know of VLF is functional; both ground-based and air-based.

That will be more silent (hush-hush) than anything else that we can think of. Right now; as we know of VLF is functional; both ground-based and air-based.

What's air based VLF? On what platform is that based?

The ELF station is coming up near the VLS one at INS Kattabomman, right? Apparently they will be housed in nuclear hardened bunkers, resistant to any catclysm. Our SSBNs are truly going to assure second strike on any nation foolish enough to launch a first.

I wonder what they chain of command is though, in case the top civlian leadership is taken out. Will there be somebody physically present at INS Kattabomman who can authorize a retaliatory strike?

I am more interested in the ELF facility coming up for communication with the SSBNs.:-)
Indeed, India is, what, the 3rd or 4th nation to have such a capability?

A real-unnnoticed- gamechanger! 
+ @Dillinger, I'm interested on what's going on down with ANC, from what I've heard there is A LOT of work going on done there. Complelty out of sight and unreported.

Why every buddy is forgetting Naval MRCA compilation , navy has issued RFI in late 2009.

Indian Navy eyes newer generation aircraft - The Hindu
No on has forgotten about that but pal it all depends on what the IN does wrt their future ACCs. The N-MMRCA competition is for the IAC-2 and beyond, the air wings of the IAC-1 and Viky are confirmed and ordered. Now it all hinges on if the IN want a CATOBAR or STOBAR configured ACC for the IAC-2 and beyond, this will obviously dictate their choice of a/c. And it also depends on what kind of CATOBAR solutions the IN wants as, if the rumours about the IN being seriously interested in EMALS are true then one can logically expect some sort of package deal with the USG that could very well include naval fighters.

What's air based VLF? On what platform is that based?

The ELF station is coming up near the VLS one at INS Kattabomman, right? Apparently they will be housed in nuclear hardened bunkers, resistant to any catclysm. Our SSBNs are truly going to assure second strike on any nation foolish enough to launch a first.

I wonder what they chain of command is though, in case the top civlian leadership is taken out. Will there be somebody physically present at INS Kattabomman who can authorize a retaliatory strike?

The Bears..........

All modern Navies have a considerable air arm; in fact the WWII was fought by Army and Navy pilots from the US and same for Japan. With superior firepower and rapid delivery no modern navy can do without an air component. The article refers to that; the Pakistani Navy too has an Aviation arm which can also be called an air force as unlike the army aviation arms (in most nations) modern fighter/bombers are employed along with close air support (helis and such/transport planes).

The article was most likely written for a newspaper and thus simplification, which is not technically wrong, is done.

lol, how funny this title is..
indian Navy emerging as air force..and what ? indian air force emerging as Navy.. :rofl: :omghaha:

come on atleast stay up with the role given to you , . :rofl: :omghaha:. :rofl: :omghaha:. :rofl: :omghaha:

No harm done @janon and @Capt.Popeye perhaps @Leviza meant it lightheartedly. @Leviza let's respect other nations (no matter how diplomatically estranged we are) and stick to productive analysis. Like perhaps what should the PN do in response.

No on has forgotten about that but pal it all depends on what the IN does wrt their future ACCs. The N-MMRCA competition is for the IAC-2 and beyond, the air wings of the IAC-1 and Viky are confirmed and ordered. Now it all hinges on if the IN want a CATOBAR or STOBAR configured ACC for the IAC-2 and beyond, this will obviously dictate their choice of a/c. And it also depends on what kind of CATOBAR solutions the IN wants as, if the rumours about the IN being seriously interested in EMALS are true then one can logically expect some sort of package deal with the USG that could very well include naval fighters.

You know when will the N-MMRCS contract will be signed

You know when will the N-MMRCS contract will be signed

This fellow might know -

2013-real-estate-crystal-ball.jpg

All modern Navies have a considerable air arm; in fact the WWII was fought by Army and Navy pilots from the US and same for Japan. With superior firepower and rapid delivery no modern navy can do without an air component. The article refers to that; the Pakistani Navy too has an Aviation arm which can also be called an air force as unlike the army aviation arms (in most nations) modern fighter/bombers are employed along with close air support (helis and such/transport planes).

The article was most likely written for a newspaper and thus simplification, which is not technically wrong, is done.

No harm done @janon and @Capt.Popeye perhaps @Leviza meant it lightheartedly. @Leviza let's respect other nations (no matter how diplomatically estranged we are) and stick to productive analysis. Like perhaps what should the PN do in response.

i totally agree with you, and will start saying such things the day i get the same behavior from other side..

I have seen indians laughing on our solider being killed by Indian army, Also they do all sort of fun with anything related to Pakistan, so they get the same treatment back...

If we do the same as they do to us, how are we any better?

i totally agree with you, and will start saying such things the day i get the same behavior from other side..

I have seen indians laughing on our solider being killed by Indian army, Also they do all sort of fun with anything related to Pakistan, so they get the same treatment back...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom