What's new

Indian aircraft carrier enters sea trials as navy eyes Rafale

This is not about comparing some one else. Its about few true facts:

1) Unless india plan to go for big war this carrier is show piece.
2) Even in such big war this $2.3 billion carrier will be COOL target of anti access weapons
3) Millions of indian poor could come out of abject poverty, hundred of thousands of farmers who killed themselves for loan burden could survived. What a waste of life and resource! Perhaps value of life in india is much less than elsewhere in the world.

Still worth more than yours esse.

The above statement does not apply and was not intended to be applied to other BD'eshis. Just the little internet warrior using the same old same old arguments.

Who india going to confront with this ship?? Even Russia with profile of challenging US does not operate any carrier at the moment.

India uses carriers for a lot of things. if i remember correctly u got your freedom partly thanks to an indian carrier

Indian Navy at war 1971 east - YouTube

Besides, millions of poor Indians could come out of poverty with this kind of money but india choose to use billions on something that will not have much value unless india prepare to go for major war.

dont worry, after we send the BD pole vaulters back, 90% of india's poverty issue is solved

In india , carriers perform a different role than in US navy

Their primary role is fleet air defence and Keeping Indian sea lines of communication open , their secondary role is imposing Naval Blockade
Which we did in 1971 , 1999 , 2001 and were preparing to do after 2008

Nice looking target for enemy missiles, until then it will be good show piece.

IN air arm is already enough for your air force moron

Who india going to confront with this ship?? Even Russia with profile of challenging US does not operate any carrier at the moment. Besides, millions of poor Indians could come out of poverty with this kind of money but india choose to use billions on something that will not have much value unless india prepare to go for major war. Even then in the age of anti-access weapon, this carrier will be COOL target.

hey looser, consider this: defence expenditure is about 2 % of our GDP. Now go somewhere else to troll

This is not about comparing some one else. Its about few true facts:

1) Unless india plan to go for big war this carrier is show piece.
2) Even in such big war this $2.3 billion carrier will be COOL target of anti access weapons
3) Millions of indian poor could come out of abject poverty, hundred of thousands of farmers who killed themselves for loan burden could survived. What a waste of life and resource! Perhaps value of life in india is much less than elsewhere in the world.

Lets forget the crap u r saying but what on earth is an anti access weapon by u??????

U come here to be whipped who knows nothing about CBG and ACs and still bragging on sluggish points such as a Ac is a sitting duck that can be brought down by PN or even China ..
JOKE of the Century

On the other hand, our aircraft carrier launched sea hawks that bombed the governor general's residence in Dhaka in '71
Oi, Oi, it was the MiG-21, not sea hawks! Don't take the glory from the MiG-21 just to prove to that idiot that AC are indispensable for India and the Indian ocean.

Oi, Oi, it was the MiG-21, not sea hawks! Don't take the glory from the MiG-21 just to prove to that idiot that AC are indispensable for India and the Indian ocean.

nope buddy...it was sea hawks which destroyed many coastal towns of Chittagong and Cox's Bazaar...of course Mig-21 served good in 1971 war,but lets not take the glory from sea hawks..

Indo-Pakistani Naval War of 1971 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Based on Naval Intelligence reports that the Pakistan Navy intended to break through the Indian Naval blockade using camouflaged merchant ships, the Sea Hawks struck shipping in the Chittagong and Cox's Bazar harbors, sinking or incapacitating most ships in harbor. On the morning of 4 December 1971, the eight Sea Hawk aircraft on the Vikrant launched an air raid on Cox's Bazaar from 60 nautical miles (110 km) offshore. On the evening of 4 December, the air group struck Chittagong Harbor. Later strikes targeted Khulna and Port of Mongla. A PTI report of 4 December read, "Chittagong harbour ablaze as ships and aircraft of the Eastern Naval Fleet bombed and rocketed. Not a single vessel can be put to sea from Chittagong." Air strikes continued until 10 December 1971 with not a single Sea Hawk lost."

INS Vikrant (R11) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol.... no. See the quote to which I responded. The attack on the government house housing the governor was made by the MiG-21s. It was a very important attack which meant the end of the puppet civilian government(installed by the army) in Bangladesh. Immediately after the attack, the governor took the pen and signed his resignation leaving the army high and dry.

Infact, during the 1971 war, the Navy wanted the MiG-21s to ensure air superiority before committing their carrier in the bombing operations. In 1971, MiG-21 were the Su-30MKIs of today.

Amazingly, as soon as I alighted from a chopper at Tezgaon on the day after surrender, the first person who came rushing to me was a Russian. He had learnt from another member of our party that I had flown one of the MiG-21s which had bombed the runways. He asked me point blank to tell him honestly which kind of bomb sight we used for such pinpoint bombing and effectiveness.

He said he saw bombs falling for days nowhere else but on the runways. I thanked him for the compliment and reminded him that we were flying their MiG-21s and they should know as to which gun sights they had provided to us. He shook his head in disbelief. He had read the PAF claims that Indian MiG-21s in the east were using laser gun sights. No one was ready to believe the truth that what we actually only used the same old primitive fixed gun sight for our bombing.

Absence of air-support to the Pakistani Army in Bangladesh severely limited their operations. The Indian Army on the other hand were relieved of the fear of air attacks by PAF aircraft. The Indian Air Force had complete freedom of the air in East Bengal.

Besides the Indian Navy which had asked for such an assurance before they would commit their aircraft carrier in The Bay of Bengal, was given that guarantee on December 7th. INS Vikrant then lent its might in no small measure. This had been a classic counter-air operation with few parallels.

http://www.B-R/IAF/History/1971War/Dacca.html

Sea hawks were basically junk powered by a single Nene and having terrible thrust to weight ratio. A PAF F-86 Sabre would have chewed it up easily without breaking a sweat. They were good bombers though.

lol.... no. See the quote to which I responded. The attack on the government house housing the governor was made by the MiG-21s. It was a very important attack which meant the end of the puppet civilian government(installed by the army) in Bangladesh. Immediately after the attack, the governor took the pen and signed his resignation leaving the army high and dry.

Infact, during the 1971 war, the Navy wanted the MiG-21s to ensure air superiority before committing their carrier in the bombing operations. In 1971, MiG-21 were the Su-30MKIs of today.

Amazingly, as soon as I alighted from a chopper at Tezgaon on the day after surrender, the first person who came rushing to me was a Russian. He had learnt from another member of our party that I had flown one of the MiG-21s which had bombed the runways. He asked me point blank to tell him honestly which kind of bomb sight we used for such pinpoint bombing and effectiveness.

He said he saw bombs falling for days nowhere else but on the runways. I thanked him for the compliment and reminded him that we were flying their MiG-21s and they should know as to which gun sights they had provided to us. He shook his head in disbelief. He had read the PAF claims that Indian MiG-21s in the east were using laser gun sights. No one was ready to believe the truth that what we actually only used the same old primitive fixed gun sight for our bombing.

Absence of air-support to the Pakistani Army in Bangladesh severely limited their operations. The Indian Army on the other hand were relieved of the fear of air attacks by PAF aircraft. The Indian Air Force had complete freedom of the air in East Bengal.

Besides the Indian Navy which had asked for such an assurance before they would commit their aircraft carrier in The Bay of Bengal, was given that guarantee on December 7th. INS Vikrant then lent its might in no small measure. This had been a classic counter-air operation with few parallels.

http://www.B-R/IAF/History/1971War/Dacca.html

Sea hawks were basically junk powered by a single Nene and having terrible thrust to weight ratio. A sabre would have chewed it up easily without breaking a sweat. They were good bombers though.

Wow are you the same pilot mentioned in the article?

Oh that. Well I had an awesome experience of sitting in a cockpit of a real MiG-21FL once, courtesy of that pilot. :smitten: Wish I done that when the fighter was in the air.

@Mig-21...

i didn't say that Mig-21 did nothing..its Mig-21 which established eastern theater in 1971..there was few Sabers that didn't engaged in war because of MIg-21..but still...sea sabers which attacked from INS Vikrant did their part pretty well..

It does pose an interesting scenerio- would they rule out the F-35 flat-out because they are adverse to operating multiple 5th gen fighters or would they be indifferent to this and just concerned with getting the best fighters they possibly can.

:) The fact that IN wants N-LCA already rejects the idea that they want the best, but more important than the fighters and their capabilities, will be the restrictions that comes with them. N-FGFA for example would result into space limitations and a lower number of fighters. US fighters comes with EUM, CISOMA, no source codes...and especially in case of the F35 there will be high operational restrictions too. With the experience of IN and the Sea Kings, it would be surprising if they want to have the same problems again. The Silent Hornet could be a middle way maybe, less restrictions because not the most capable US version and if we fund certain upgrades USN would even benefit. Imo as a stopgap and 2nd role fighter for IN until N-AMCA might arrive, the Silent Hortnet + EMALS + E-2Ds sounds like a good compromise for the restrictions on the other side. Rafale M would be great and offer more future potential, commonality, as well as independence, but leaves us in a worse position to negotiate on EMALS, costs or restrictions.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom