What's new

Indian Acquisition of the Gorshkov

Its funny that u didnt even read the title of the thread and posting stupid comment about it. Try google translator:tup:

If you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all, no need for personal attacks.

It was just the first time I saw an aircraft runway configuration like this, it appears a bit short for a ski jump (and the ski jump is at the bow of the ship) but doesn't seem to be a catapult configuration either, so I just wondered if it is actually a large helicopter carrier. Didn't mean to cause any offense to your (somewhat frail I must say) feelings.

Last edited:
In spite of the tall claims of India's indigenous development and production capacity, more than 80% of what they own today has come from their traditional supplier Russia. It is well known that Russia's industrial base and support infrastructure have significantly atrophied since the demise of the Soviet Union. Russia now derives such a disproportionate amount of revenue from oil and gas that the non-energy industrial sector has diminished in significance for the Russian economy. According to Times of India, India has complained to Russia about the unreliability of some of its weapon systems as well as tardy product support in execution of several projects. Top-level sources say it has been made very clear to Russia that apart from "quality control" of the military equipment being bought from it, India wants assurances on maintenance of delivery schedules of contracted weapon systems, uninterrupted supply of spares and life-term product support. The Indian Air Force is upset with the "distortions" on the canopies of the Sukhoi-30MKI Phase-3 fighter jets. This comes at a time when India is on the verge of signing a $1.6-billion deal with Russia to acquire another 40 Sukhoi-30MKIs, in addition to the 190 such jets already contracted through two big deals in 1996 and 2000. In addition to several recent crashes of Russian-built fighter aircraft, the BBC reports that there have been issues related to the acquisition of the aircraft carrier named Admiral Gorschkov. From a negotiated price of $700m, the Russians subsequently demanded $1.2bn with delivery delayed till 2013.
Around the same time, the Indian navy has refused to accept an upgraded diesel-powered submarine after delays in the installation of a missile system.

Haq's Musings: India's Arms Build-up and Problems with Russia

In spite of the tall claims of India's indigenous development and production capacity, more than 80% of what they own today has come from their traditional supplier Russia. It is well known that Russia's industrial base and support infrastructure have significantly atrophied since the demise of the Soviet Union. Russia now derives such a disproportionate amount of revenue from oil and gas that the non-energy industrial sector has diminished in significance for the Russian economy. According to Times of India, India has complained to Russia about the unreliability of some of its weapon systems as well as tardy product support in execution of several projects. Top-level sources say it has been made very clear to Russia that apart from "quality control" of the military equipment being bought from it, India wants assurances on maintenance of delivery schedules of contracted weapon systems, uninterrupted supply of spares and life-term product support. The Indian Air Force is upset with the "distortions" on the canopies of the Sukhoi-30MKI Phase-3 fighter jets. This comes at a time when India is on the verge of signing a $1.6-billion deal with Russia to acquire another 40 Sukhoi-30MKIs, in addition to the 190 such jets already contracted through two big deals in 1996 and 2000. In addition to several recent crashes of Russian-built fighter aircraft, the BBC reports that there have been issues related to the acquisition of the aircraft carrier named Admiral Gorschkov. From a negotiated price of $700m, the Russians subsequently demanded $1.2bn with delivery delayed till 2013.
Around the same time, the Indian navy has refused to accept an upgraded diesel-powered submarine after delays in the installation of a missile system.

:blah::blah::blah: ,i think U wanted to type this , "SH!!TE indian navy is gettting armed to the teeth theres no match now btw IN and PN ,therre never was , (oh but I forgot to play the China card so here is it), China is more stronger than poor India , remmeber `62?"

Love U pakistani guys for feling so Insecure ... :thinktank::thinktank:
Bharat Mata ki Jai.:agree::agree:

If you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all, no need for personal attacks.

It was just the first time I saw an aircraft runway configuration like this, it appears a bit short for a ski jump (and the ski jump is at the bow of the ship) but doesn't seem to be a catapult configuration either, so I just wondered if it is actually a large helicopter carrier. Didn't mean to cause any offense to your (somewhat frail I must say) feelings.

f2b1bdb44a6685b346d6bb0aa6f86ec2.jpg

So there you have it, its not a short ski jump!!

Typical troll post, just don't cry if you see the same low class posts in the JF-17 thread.

f2b1bdb44a6685b346d6bb0aa6f86ec2.jpg

So there you have it, its not a short ski jump!!

Actually I just googled it, should have done that at the begining instead of asking a question here to cause some unwanted offenses ;-)

Gorshkov is a little different from a conventional ski jump configuration, it uses a configuration called "Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery" (STOBAR), so far only one other carrier (admiral kuznetsov) uses the same system, that explains my origional question.

I didn't see any arrestors for Queen Elizabeth class. This means that they must have navalized F-35 capable of vertical landing? Or are the landing distance of F-35 actually quite short?

Varyag seems only behind american carriers in rough size

I didn't see any arrestors for Queen Elizabeth class. This means that they must have navalized F-35 capable of vertical landing? Or are the landing distance of F-35 actually quite short?

Varyag seems only behind american carriers in rough size
UK will use F35B with vertical landing capability, so no arrestors are needed.

So F35B will definitely need to be developed no matter the cost, as british has invested alot on their carriers.

though I don't think i absolutely needed that it will be hard to install arrest wires later on.

So F35B will definitely need to be developed no matter the cost, as british has invested alot on their carriers.

though I don't think i absolutely needed that it will be hard to install arrest wires later on.
It's not only UK that will go for F35B, USMC will use them on the amphibous carriers like the Wasp class, or the new America class. Italy has ordered them for their carriers too, Australia is expected to buy some for their new LHDs and there are speculations about them for South Korea and Japan too (although I doubt that, because it is prohibited by law that Japan gets full fledged aircraft carriers). Nearly all countries with LHDs, or smaller carriers will have only one VTOL option in future and that is the F35B.
No need for arrest wires, because they will land vertically, if they wanted arrested landing, they would have gone for carriers with angled decks.

However, we should go back to topic!

It's not only UK that will go for F35B, USMC will use them on the amphibous carriers like the Wasp class, or the new America class. Italy has ordered them for their carriers too, Australia is expected to buy some for their new LHDs and there are speculations about them for South Korea and Japan too (although I doubt that, because it is prohibited by law that Japan gets full fledged aircraft carriers). Nearly all countries with LHDs, or smaller carriers will have only one VTOL option in future and that is the F35B.
No need for arrest wires, because they will land vertically, if they wanted arrested landing, they would have gone for carriers with angled decks.

However, we should go back to topic!

oo can you please give me any link to articles related to bold part...

thanks in advance

:smitten:

oo can you please give me any link to articles related to bold part...

thanks in advance

:smitten:

But in any case in Japan, it is unconstitutional to possess what is referred to as offensive weapons that, from their performance, are to be used exclusively for total destruction of other countries, since it immediately exceeds the minimum level necessary for self-defense. For instance, the SDF is not allowed to possess ICBMs, long-range strategic bombers or offensive aircraft carriers.

I. Constitution of Japan and Right of Self-Defense

Contracts & Key Events Update:

Aug 9/10:
Indian Commodore Sukhjinder Singh, who was a key person in the Gorshkov refit program from 2005-2009, has reportedly handed in his resignation after reports of his illicit affair with a Russian woman (vid. April 12/10 entry). The inquiry by Indian naval HQ established the relationship with the woman, but ruled out court martial as they couldn’t establish the woman’s status as an agent, or anything untoward beyond a romantic relationship.

The findings of the Board of Inquiry will have to be acted upon by chief of naval staff Admiral Nirmal Verma, who must also decide whether and how to accept the Commodore’s resignation. On the bright side, at least he didn’t hire Jodie Fisher. See: DNA India.

Aug 3/10:
A CAG report says that Indian naval aviation has suffered in recent years, and the current state of the Sea Harrier fleet makes it clear that on-time induction of MiG-29Ks into the fleet will be critical. Read “India’s Sea Harrier Shortage” for more.

April 12/10:
The inquiry against Commodore Sukhjinder Singh has established his `amorous relationship’ with a Russian woman, and India’s naval brass are considering punishments. Meanwhile, he has been relieved of his current posting in the defence ministry’s directorate-general of quality assurance.

Singh oversaw the Gorshkov refit project in Russia from 2005-2007, and was the project’s principal director in India from 2007-2009. That gave him no role in price negotiations, but there is more than casual concern that he may have been “honey trapped” by an FSB agent to give details of India’s negotiating position. Explicit photographs with this russian woman surfaced recently in the media, and formed part of the “clinching evidence’’ in the just-concluded naval Board of Inquiry (BoI).

Defence minister A K Antony said that “Nothing beyond [a romantic relationship] has been proved so far. I do not want to jump the gun. I have asked Navy to finish (the inquiry report) as quickly as possible. I do not want to draw any conclusions prematurely. Once the Navy completes everything, we will take a decision.’’ Current Affairs (incl. Times Now video) | DNA India | India Server | India TV | Kalyugikalki | The Times of India | Hindustan Times.

INS Vikramaditya: Waiting for Gorshkov…

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom