What's new

India to train Sri Lankan navy

I couldn't care less. Katchaveethu has been legally ceded to SL. It is legally a part of their country and that is accepted by the GoI. Your problem is with the GoI, take it up with the Government, the SLN are doing their job and doing it well.

It wasn't illegally occupied like Aksai Chin, Kashmir etc. Don't draw parallels where there are none.

PS: When I say you that means anybody who cares about it.

The island that was ceded was not done illegally. You might not agree with how it was done, but that does not make it illegal.

There is no reason for India to help Bangladesh.
There was no reason for India to send forces in 1980's to SL. Considering it has been sent, done, and dusted, its now India's responsibility to get a permanent solution to Lankan Tamils, and to TN Indian fishermens. Others cannot pass off such as "internal issues of SL ". When India have a role to play, in matters and treaties concerning India, we have to.
understand bro.

You don't get the background about Akshai Chin especially do you? It is illegally occupied by India but ofcourse the region is not with India. But I am not going there now.

Katchatheevu is illegally granted by GOI. Any land ceded to foreign countries should have the approval of the parliament and none was passed. But I know your response and I know it is futile to discuss with you. The fight is done with TN government and the erstwhile king of Ramnad who owned this land with proper documents in the courts against the callous GOI. Beyond this I am going to stop here.

Okay so your issue is with the GoI, take it up with them. If you are right then they can request the GoSL to return the island/buy it back. I have little/no knowledge of the issue so I won't claim any authority on the matter, however as a law-abiding country, the Lankans are fully vindicated in arresting Indian fishermen that trespass in their waters.

Aksai Chin is a part of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir it has since been occupied by the PRC.

Dear Tamils,

Our hearts weep for Rohingya Muslims but not for our own people. We are training the Sinhala backstabbers so that they can kill you in cold blood to satisfy their thirst of hatred against you.

Your hearts weeps for rohingya muslims not wonder u have ties with burma? and wasnt it the same tamil tigers u created?

There is no reason for India to help Bangladesh.
There was no reason for India to send forces in 1980's to SL. Considering it has been sent, done, and dusted, its now India's responsibility to get a permanent solution to Lankan Tamils, and to TN Indian fishermens. Others cannot pass off such as "internal issues of SL ". When India have a role to play, in matters and treaties concerning India, we have to.
understand bro.

Of course there was.

BD refugees were flooding into India, taxing the resources of the country, it had to be stopped. It was also an effective way of severing one of the enemy's of India in half.

The GoI of the time, used the IPKF to regain peace on the island. To return SLA to their barracks and have the relevant Tamils groups to be disarmed. Indian interest was because of precisely what is happening on this thread. The backlash in Tamil Nadu.

There isn't a pogrom going on in SL, go there, find out for yourself. It's about an hour away from Chennai.

Of course there was.

BD refugees were flooding into India, taxing the resources of the country, it had to be stopped. It was also an effective way of severing one of the enemy's of India in half.

The GoI of the time, used the IPKF to regain peace on the island. To return SLA to their barracks and have the relevant Tamils groups to be disarmed. Indian interest was because of precisely what is happening on this thread. The backlash in Tamil Nadu.

There isn't a pogrom going on in SL, go there, find out for yourself. It's about an hour away from Chennai.

This reply from you knows you have no idea on the issue. Do u know that the SL govt, started supplying arms to LTTE just to fight IPKF?
There is no backlash going on now. So who is responsible for honouring the 1987 treaty between SL and India? Arent u a Indian? Yu dont care about that treaty eh?
Most conservative estimates have put 40000 people have killed in the war. Check UN report. After 4 years they have jus now started counting war dead...! Very responsible SL govt I guess.

This reply from you knows you have no idea on the issue. Do u know that the SL govt, started supplying arms to LTTE just to fight IPKF?
There is no backlash going on now. So who is responsible for honouring the 1987 treaty between SL and India? Arent u a Indian? Yu dont care about that treaty eh?
Most conservative estimates have put 40000 people have killed in the war. Check UN report. After 4 years they have jus now started counting war dead...! Very responsible SL govt I guess.

You wouldn't believe how many arguments I've had with my pro-Tamil sister about this.

I am aware of the fact that GoSL supplied arms to Tamil groups. I'm not defending the then Lankan government. A lot of horrible things were done in that war by both sides, the entire thing was FUBAR. (I usually don't mention this in discussions with my Lankan friends)

I'm talking about the now, the today, the present. The ones who did crimes in that war should be punished and will be punished, but in their courts. It is not our business. India has so many issues of its own, including many of the ones that you are accusing Lanka of.

In any case we have far deviated from the original topic.

You wouldn't believe how many arguments I've had with my pro-Tamil sister about this.

I am aware of the fact that GoSL supplied arms to Tamil groups. I'm not defending the then Lankan government. A lot of horrible things were done in that war by both sides, the entire thing was FUBAR. (I usually don't mention this in discussions with my Lankan friends)

I'm talking about the now, the today, the present. The ones who did crimes in that war should be punished and will be punished, but in their courts. It is not our business. India has so many issues of its own, including many of the ones that you are accusing Lanka of.

In any case we have far deviated from the original topic.

You are still ignoring my point. SL have deviated from a sovereign treaty signed with the GoI. Its responsible for all of Indians to get justice done.
Moreover even if i son talk of their killings, the agreement with India should be done and dusted by them.
The ball is in their court.

You are still ignoring my point. SL have deviated from a sovereign treaty signed with the GoI. Its responsible for all of Indians to get justice done.
Moreover even if i son talk of their killings, the agreement with India should be done and dusted by them.
The ball is in their court.

Okay please educate me. Which parts of the treaty did they violate?

I couldn't care less. Katchaveethu has been legally ceded to SL. It is legally a part of their country and that is accepted by the GoI. Your problem is with the GoI, take it up with the Government, the SLN are doing their job and doing it well.

It wasn't illegally occupied like Aksai Chin, Kashmir etc. Don't draw parallels where there are none.

PS: When I say you that means anybody who cares about it.

The island that was ceded was not done illegally. You might not agree with how it was done, but that does not make it illegal.
mate i don't know the exact reason for your hatred towards a particular community but the reality is that the Tamil people of the state of T.N. are our compatriots and we have a moral obligation towards them.on the contrary the Sri Lankans are neither our friends nor our compatriots.these are the same people who actively helped Pakistan during the 1971 war and currently they are sleeping with our potential enemy aka China.so the only solution to this problem is to forcefully retake the northern portion of Lanka and integrate it with T.N.,thus helping our Tamil brothers achieving their dream and on the same time disintegrating Lanka so that they won't cause any trouble in the near future for India......

mate i don't know the exact reason for your hatred towards a particular community but the reality is that the Tamil people of the state of T.N. are our compatriots and we have a moral obligation towards them.on the contrary the Sri Lankans are neither our friends nor our compatriots.these are the same people who actively helped Pakistan during the 1971 war and currently they are sleeping with our potential enemy aka China.so the only solution to this problem is to forcefully retake the northern portion of Lanka and integrate it with T.N.,thus helping our Tamil brothers achieving their dream and on the same time disintegrating Lanka so that they won't cause any trouble in the near future for India......

What? Why would I hate Indian Tamils. That's as far from the truth as it gets.

Tamils from TN are our compatriots - agreed.

The rest of your post was tripe. You want to annex a sovereign country, why? Because they have invited investment from China? They want to improve their country, Chinese money is far greater than Indian money. India has also been put in the crosshairs of Chinese investors and the numbers are far greater.

China ready to invest $160 billion in Andhra Pradesh | NDTV.com

That's just one state. I can guarantee to you that I have heard hearsay of Chinese plans in India amount to 250B+ in the next 10 years in India. The idea is to bring India into the Chinese fold.

Etc so on and so forth.

SL did help Pakistan in 1971 (not that it amounted to much) that was 44 years ago. It means nothing today.

Unpublicised meeting held between NSA and Gotabaya

India and Sri Lanka have agreed to a slew of naval cooperation measures to target pirates and terrorist groups operating in the Indian ocean, highly-placed government sources have told The Hindu. The measures were discussed at an unpublicised meeting between Sri Lanka’s permanent Defence Secretary, Lieutenant-Colonel Gotabaya Rajapaksa, and India’s National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon on Thursday.

The meeting, as well as separate dialogues with Indian naval commanders, took place amidst tensions in diplomatic relations between the countries. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had stayed away from a recent Commonwealth Heads of Government summit in Colombo, amidst criticism of Sri Lanka’s human rights record.

A Ministry of External Affairs official confirmed that Mr. Gotabaya Rajapakse made what it called a “courtesy call” on External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, but said he had no comment to offer on military meetings. A spokesperson for the Indian Navy also confirmed that meetings between the Defence Secretary and the naval commanders took place on Thursday and Friday, but said he could not share details. Mr. Menon’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

Indian government sources, however, said Thursday’s meetings were focussed on pushing ahead military-to-military cooperation to secure both countries’ common security interests. Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa also discussed the wider strategic environment, including the possible impact of political tensions on India-Sri Lanka relationship.

The two countries, along with the Maldives, had signed a security cooperation agreement in July this year, designed to make operations by the three navies seamless.

India’s military-to-military relationship with Sri Lanka has grown despite political tensions.

India, military sources said, also trains several hundred Sri Lankan military personnel at its schools, in spite of political opposition from some leaders in Tamil Nadu. In addition to naval personnel, over a hundred Sri Lankan army officers are being trained at the Mhow Infantry School and other prestigious institutions.

The training has continued despite protests from Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.

(With inputs from Meera Srinivasan in Colombo and Gaurav Bhatnagar in New Delhi.)

Despite strains, India, Sri Lanka deepen naval ties - The Hindu

So the only solution to this problem is to forcefully retake the northern portion of Lanka and integrate it with T.N.,thus helping our Tamil brothers achieving their dream and on the same time disintegrating Lanka so that they won't cause any trouble in the near future for India......

Hilarious.. :lol: Which bollywood fantasy are you watching these days ??

STFU honestly, the Lankan Tamils are not "our own people". I couldn't care less what happens to them, and that's what you should think too.

You would hijack India's foreign policy to satisfy some idiotic sense of loyalty towards an ethnic group for no reason whatsoever.

Yeah Lankan tamils are not your own people but Bangladeshi's (illegal migrants) and Rohingyas are.

Besides I was talking about our own Tamil fishermen who are killed left right center by Sri Lankan Navy for fun under the pretext of violating their waters.

I mean fishermen don't get killed for violating waters. They are arrested and prosecuted.

You would hijack India's foreign policy

Dont talk about something which doesn't exist.

Your hearts weeps for rohingya muslims not wonder u have ties with burma?

Talk about ties

Myanmar Navy starts submarine training in Pakistan - IHS Jane's 360

and wasnt it the same tamil tigers u created?

We created LTTE eh? What else we created? PPP? PML-N?

Last edited:
Okay please educate me. Which parts of the treaty did they violate?
Simple. Ask them to implement 1987 treaty full with land and police powers.
Remembered Rajapakse promised to India something called 13++++++++?
Where is all that?

Simple. Ask them to implement 1987 treaty full with land and police powers.
Remembered Rajapakse promised to India something called 13++++++++?
Where is all that?

I don't know, that's why I was asking you.

What part/s of the treaty have they broken?

I don't know, that's why I was asking you.

What part/s of the treaty have they broken?

Land , Police powers, like exactly Indian federal structure was promised . Rajapakse promised it so many times during the war that he shall implement it. These are in the 1987 Indo-SL treaty.
Now they are saying its tough to give such powers (which is acceptable, considering SL is small). So why give false promise to things that they cannot do?
Firstly, whether it is implementable or not, 1987 treaty must be implemented. Elections have been held as in treaty. Others are not.

Back
Top Bottom