What's new

India to manufacture indigenous diesel submarines soon

@proud_indian ,thanks for sharing.
So it conforms the article i shared with you that at first we were importing it but now we have devloped our own steel,is that you want to say??

no

"The steel will be processed to plates through Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) directly or via Bokaro Steel Plant before supply to DMRL for further testing."

this article i quoted is of Aug 2013 and we built Arihant class submarine way back

and this steel still in testing phase

no

"The steel will be processed to plates through Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) directly or via Bokaro Steel Plant before supply to DMRL for further testing."

this article i quoted is of Aug 2013 and we built Arihant class submarine way back

and this steel still in testing phase
Ok so we will use this steel in follow on subs ??/

making a diesel sub is not a big deal for India,After they made nuke powered sub.

Steel? What steel? India have started producing Nuclear submarine with what kind of steel then?
Welding too they have experience in building Arihant now. I do not see whats the problem.

I was thinking of same thing. Either Arihant is not a combat ready submarine (if its not using a proper grade of steal, its just a test sub) or this article is totally bogus.

After reading more, I realize that Arihant steels are imported..

I was thinking of same thing. Either Arihant is not a combat ready submarine (if its not using a proper grade of steal, its just a test sub) or this article is totally bogus.

Where in the article?

Matter is we cannot import steel for building "Nuclear" submaries, while for conventional ships and subs we can buy. I feel this article is not clearly written. Journalism at its worst.

Why India just begin the indegenous conventional sub design? it seems little bit late.

Why India just begin the indegenous conventional sub design? it seems little bit late.

Better lat than never :coffee: We are suffering an acute shortage of diesel submarines after the recent mishap - these submarines will bridge up the gap - I think we should bet big on Nuclear submarines only!

I thought the Indian nuclear submarine is the indigenous sub. So how could it be soon, if it already happened. Are you saying diesel then.
FYI... India built Nuclear submarine with the assistance of Russia...here India want to produce diesel submarine by own...

How soon is soon?

10 years?20 years?Judging by past experiences。
FYI...Making submarines is not like making chaomin

It will take time...but not much ...Coz Indian defense industry is now matured enough.

Last edited:

you got wrong info...steel was produced by SAIL .

Please use correct spellings ... steal bole to chor...Chor bole to thief...thief bole to :china:

Last edited:
Ok...
So we are looking at a yr 2025-27 Timeline for the induction
By that time the scorpenes would have been inducted and P75I too would have been in the closing stage
Indian navy has an operational requirement of 18 Diesel Subs,
We only have 13 Diesel and 1 Nuke sub and out of these 14, only 10 are operational at any time
We will get the first Arihant class by end of this yr or early next yr, but it an SSBN and hence wont participate in direct combat.
My idea is that why not let L&T work on P75I and Let Mazagaon Docks and Hindustan Shipyard focus on Indegenous design Subs, Coz believe me It will take them 10-12 Yrs to deliver 3 subs each. While L&T can work on 4 P75I subs, as first two would be imported. It took L&T 3 yrs to fabricate the Hull for THE 6000 Ton Arihant, while Mazagaon Docks took 4 yrs for the 2400 ton scorpene
Lets hope MOD signs the sub tender by end of this yr, So that we can start getting P75I by yr 2020.

Back
Top Bottom