What's new

India to manufacture indigenous diesel submarines soon

The title should be like this:

India to manufacture indigenous Diesel Electric submarines soon

Last edited:
Steel? What steel? India have started producing Nuclear submarine with what kind of steel then?
Welding too they have experience in building Arihant now. I do not see whats the problem.
May be they are talking about advancing the existing technology to make sure future project go smooth in term of indigenous design,manufacturing and quality control with much cost effective way.:coffee:

Finally i got it !!!!,looks like both you and me were right,read secon last paragraph.........

..:: India Strategic ::. DRDO's Moments and Miles

@proud_indian , @jarves

I read somewhere .....that the reactor needs to be housed within 10 meter wide , 600 ton titanium shell ...that titanium is also indigenous

I don't have the link per se although...I just remember based on recollection

In fact recently Brahmos director Mr Shivathanu Pillai reportedly said that Tamil nadu can develop military industrial complex for its lead in producing high grade titanium. It has 5 million tonnes of titanium reserves ...and said that we have capacity to export same to Boeing , Airbus as they have been struggling to get same recently ..

Last edited:
@proud_indian , @jarves

I read somewhere .....that the reactor needs to be housed within 10 meter wide , 600 ton titanium shell ...that titanium is also indigenous

I don't have the link per se although...I just remember based on recollection

In fact recently Brhamos director Mr Shivathanu Pillai was reportedly said that Tamil nadu can develop military industrial complex for its lead in producing high grade titanium. It has 5 million tonnes of titanium reserves ...and said that we have no capacity to export same to Boeing , Airbus as they have been struggling to get same recently ..

Strategic Metal Titanium Gets Closer to More Production in India

tech.htm

we might have the technology but i don't think we are producing titanium on industrial scale
i read somewhere that we still source titanium from russia
i will share with you as soon as i find it

Russian firm shows interest to develop SEZ in Odisha
SUJAY MEHDUDIA

To set up an Integrated Chemical and Metallurgical Complex
A Russian company has shown keen interest in setting up an exclusive special economic zone (SEZ) in Odisha for producing titanium.

It has already forwarded a proposal in this regard to the Ministry of External Affairs and the Commerce and Industry Ministry for consideration.

The proposal by the Russian company, Technokhim, revolves around setting up an Integrated Chemical and Metallurgical Complex (ICMC) at the core and other SEZ industries around it. The project entails an investment of around $2.1 billion, and is likely to be located at Chhatrapur, Odisha. “During my visit to Russia recently, I conveyed to the Minister of Economic Development, Andrey Belousov, and Minister of Industry and Trade, Denis V. Manturov, the willingness of the Indian government to consider the application for SEZ. We will provide all support for its implementation. If we can take this project forward, it will be an important investment in high technology sector,’’ Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma told this correspondent.

The Ministry of External Affairs had forwarded the SEZ proposal to the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP). The project would use advanced Russian technologies to produce various titanium products.

“The project will be supported subject to adherence to the SEZ policy which has witnessed some changes in the recent foreign trade policy (FTP). The Government of Odisha, I am told, is also keen on the project,” he added.

Mr. Sharma said the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) and State Bank of India (SBI)have come together to launch a joint investment fund which would act as a vehicle for enhancing mutual investments, which, so far, had been transaction or deal-based. “The pooling in of the expertise and resources shall make the process more methodical and render it easy for our investors,” he added. The size of the present fund is up to $2 billion and SBI and RDIF will contribute $25 million each. It is proposed to mobilise resources from public sector companies having interest in Russia.

RDIF is a $10 billion fund established by the Russian Government to make equity investments primarily in Russian economy. In all of its investments, the fund is mandated to co-invest alongside some of the largest and most sophisticated investors globally, thus acting as a catalyst for direct investment in Russia.

Russian firm shows interest to develop SEZ in Odisha - The Hindu

Strategic Metal Titanium Gets Closer to More Production in India

tech.htm

we might have the technology but i don't think we are producing titanium on industrial scale
i read somewhere that we still source titanium from russia
i will share with you as soon as i find it

That was the scenario couple of years back ...now the Kerala Titanium plant is working well ...

Here is the news excerpt that I was talking about ...

Titanium untapped
A Sivathanu Pillai, Managing Director, BrahMos Aerospace, said Tamil Nadu has a huge industrial and natural resource base to tap opportunities in aerospace investments. Over 5 million tonnes of Titanium ore is till to be tapped. This metal is in demand in the aerospace sector but is being imported.
In neighbouring Kerala, a Titanium sponge unit has gone on stream with a capacity of 500 tonnes a year. Tamil Nadu has the capacity to set up a Titanium metal production facility of 10,000 tonnes a year. The aerospace industry can be a natural extension of the large automobile hub in the State, he felt

Boeing keen on promoting investments in TN | Business Line

“Today Boeing, Airbus and all are struggling to get titanium and they are buying from Russia and many other places, but they are really struggling. So there is a great opportunity,” he added. The State can also think about manufacturing the finished product, instead of Titanium sponge, he said.

$150 bn opporunity in defence system requirements: DRDO | Business Standard

How soon is soon?

10 years?20 years?Judging by past experiences。

@jarves plz read it carefully and try to understand it

New special grade steel make from SAIL plant

KOLKATA, APRIL 4:
Alloy Steels Plant (ASP) of SAIL said on Thursday that it produced for the first time in the country a special grade steel (DMR-292A), meant for use in submarines, for the Indian Navy.

The high-strength and low temperature item was manufactured according to the specifications developed by Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (Hyderabad ) of Defence Research & Development Organisation. The steel will be processed to plates through Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) directly or via Bokaro Steel Plant before supply to DMRL for further testing, a SAIL source said. The steel would be then ready for certification. The commercial production of this grade at ASP would add to SAIL’s capability in the field of special steel.

ASP, currently enjoys a stable partnership with defence establishments of the nation. Last year, it supplied another special (DMR-249B) grade steel, equivalent to Russian AB2 grade steel that went into manufacturing of India’s first indigenously-built aircraft carrier.

Apart from supplying steels for building warships, ASP supplies armour grade steels such as Spade amd Jackal to defence department through RSP or BSL-RSP route. It also provides special steels for arms and ammunition to Ordnance Factories.

ASP’s average annual sale to Defence sector exceeds 12,000 tonnes now. ASP primarily supplies steel items to the institutional sectors such defence, the Railways and their sister units.

New special grade steel make from SAIL plant | Business Line

@proud_indian ,thanks for sharing.
So it conforms the article i shared with you that at first we were importing it but now we have devloped our own steel,is that you want to say??

Back
Top Bottom