What's new

India to buy 60-63 Rafales jets off the shelf from France; MMRCA deal off:

You have given too much importance to mmrca. They have 20-25 Billion dollar worth nuclear plants in Jaitapur on order, Submarines, Mirage 2k5 upgrade etc. But lets not forget that IAF needs new multirole medium aircrfats badly and they have openly said it in past.

By denying this deal, India would have disappointed France, if not ruffled their feathers.

On Jaitpur, France does not have Indian money in their pockets yet.

Today's news:

"We have no issues on the latter score (liability) with France. Since January, we have been updating our partners on this issue. But we have not sat down on this issue," Mr Jaishankar said.

NDTV is also running the story about "Direct Purchase" citing sources.

Vishnu Som was reporting a possible purchase of between 40 & 60 aircrafts & a possible announcement during the trip itself.

Last edited:
might as well of bought the F-35 then :rofl:

F-35%20CTOL%20jet.jpg

or 126+ super hornets/growlers with TOT

I concure.

If we have to buy a jet without ToT, why not buy F/A-18 SH. It is much cheaper than Rafale with nearly equivalent capabilities. F-35 would be a be a no-go for now as IAF would not be able to get in in time, even if it sign the deal NOW. Also maintaining two different stealth aircrafts would not make economic sense.

But I should point out that origin of this news is from a $hit source. It has high probability of being false.

Has anyone considered the possibility:

No TOT would imply that the French might be able to sell Rafale to Pakistan as well.

You mentioned Vikram Gokhale, looks like the news might be correct afterall, we could hear some announcement later in the day.

Nithin Gokhale.....

While I don't know how much this story holds up (it's only supposed to be a offer, we have no idea how much this has been discussed with the French if true), Nitin Gokhale is atleast a very good story teller with very good sources. I would recommend this book of his:

thediplomat_2014-04-21_08-00-22-386x496.png

Nithin Gokhale.....

While I don't know how much this story holds up (it's only supposed to be a offer, we have no idea how much this has been discussed with the French if true), Nitin Gokhale is atleast a very good story teller with very good sources. I would recommend this book of his:

thediplomat_2014-04-21_08-00-22-386x496.png
Sorry my bad.
Nitin_Gokhale_20131024.jpg.ashx.jpg

I've heard several stories from him on NDTV, he looks like expert journalist on defence and strategic matters. I have great respect for him and his fellow Pallav Bagla (Both on NDTV).

When courting a girl you need to demonstrate you care for her.

if India had invested at least $10 billion in R&D I would agree to ToT. getting ToT on the stealth,engine,avonics, and what ever else for buying 60 or even 126 for $100 million a piece would be great of a lost to the U.S

126 F-35 for $20 billion +$10 billion just towards R&D would India had done such a deal with limited ToT?

Big breakthrough in Rafale deal likely
India is likely to buy about 60 Rafale combat jets from Dassault Aviation instead of 126 aircraft proposed in the original request for proposal (RFP) meant to be procured in under the process that began some eight years ago, highly placed sources told this writer.
The decision to buy nearly three and a half squadrons (between 60-63 aircraft) of Rafale jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF) was taken at the highest political level hours before Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on his three-nation tour on Thursday, the sources added. Given the huge financial and operational implication, the government thought it prudent to take a strategic decision rather than leave it to a bureaucratic process.

The French are likely to be told of this decision by the Prime Minister himself when he meets President Francois Hollande in Paris on Friday.

Under the new proposal, the entire process for procuring 126 combat jets would be scrapped, sources revealed. A new G-to-G (government-to-government) contract is likely to be negotiated between New Delhi and Paris to buy around 60 Rafale jets in flyaway condition from France.

According to top sources, this approach is being adopted for two primary reasons: one, it is imperative that the IAF gets these jets as soon as possible in view of the fast depleting numbers and two, because the impasse in the price negotiations. The entire procurement procedure for the combat jets has turned into a chaotic process thanks to the indecision on part of the political leadership in the previous regime and some loopholes in the negotiations itself making it impossible for the government to arrive at a satisfactory solution.

India is likely to ask for lowering of the price per aircraft too when the G-to-G negotiations get underway. By ordering 60 aircraft to be manufactured in France itself, the government is also hoping to skirt the tricky issue of guaranteeing quality of work under Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), designated as the Lead Production Agency in India.

The government's drastic decision to scarp the torturous procurement process is aimed at augmenting the IAF's falling numbers as well as save about RS 60,000 crore in precious foreign exchange. The calculation is that the 60-odd aircraft would cost about RS 40-45000 crore to be paid out over next four-five years instead of over Rs one Lakh crore necessary to procure the original number of 126 combat jets.

NewsWarrior: Big breakthrough in Rafale deal likely

I think the rest would be the 150 FAF Mirage-2000s.

Regardless of the massive cut in numbers, it seems Pakistan may end up having to speed up it's procurement of a high tech fighter soon. Even in small numbers, 60 is more than enough of a threat.
They will be countered by 50/60 latest J-10s in no time, Pakistan is waiting for just that to happen. If it ever happens...

If this news is confirmed, i think it is more of a face saver for everyone involved. A complete cancellation would have been seen as a snub for France, an important partner. This looks like a way to close this chapter(if true)

This whole thing will be a waste of time if they're going to buy off the shelf. If the French dont want to comply with the original RFI or even compromise and meet at the middle, **** the French.

Back
Top Bottom