What's new

India to buy 60-63 Rafales jets off the shelf from France; MMRCA deal off:

When I posted, I did not find any such article posted before.
May be because my primary source was different = Rediff.com
I don't do that.

No problem. You couldhv actually posted it on the earlier thread as well. Creating different threads only makes it difficult to follow the developments.

@waz if you dont mind, czn you please merge the threads sir.

This whole thing will be a waste of time if they're going to buy off the shelf. If the French dont want to comply with the original RFI or even compromise and meet at the middle, **** the French.

See post #22 i gave some viable options for what India can do. The last option is the best, but yes if India outright cancels the Rafale deal i would think that France would crawl to the negotiation table. I'm not sure why anyone would want to deal with France after the MMRCA and Mistral fiasco.

Ok!

They are buying 60-65 from France and what are they going to do for rest 60?? It's so confusing o_O

60 fighter = 45000crore
1 fighter = 750 crore
=122 million $

Sounds good

why buy that when you can give a follow up order of Rafale which is a generation ahead. Or like some other members suggested go for F18e/f super hornet. I bet Americans will happily sell us a few growlers as well just to sweeten the deal. :enjoy:
3 4 squadrons of super hornets will be too good

This whole thing will be a waste of time if they're going to buy off the shelf.
This thing would open a Pandora box. We donot know what is the price tag for Rafale and EFT, but if the idea is to go for off the shelf procurement, why didn't India go with Typhoon, considering they were ready to induct India as a program partner, which could've meant far more customization than what we can expect from Rafale and perhaps bargained a better price too.
Or is there another twist in the story?

seems like there is no break through, France refused to budge and india lowered the numbers to save face, but the question is would the price for 60 remain the same as for 126? or go up? does that mean re-negotiation of price and terms? another 2/3 years or more?

India to buy 60-63 Rafales jets off the shelf from France; MMRCA deal off: sources

Big breakthrough in Rafale deal likely

India is likely to buy about 60 Rafale combat jets from Dassault Aviation instead of 126 aircraft proposed in the original request for proposal (RFP) meant to be procured in under the process that began some eight years ago, highly placed sources told this writer.

The decision to buy nearly three and a half squadrons (between 60-63 aircraft) of Rafale jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF) was taken at the highest political level hours before Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on his three-nation tour on Thursday, the sources added. Given the huge financial and operational implication, the government thought it prudent to take a strategic decision rather than leave it to a bureaucratic process.

The French are likely to be told of this decision by the Prime Minister himself when he meets President Francois Hollande in Paris on Friday.
Under the new proposal, the entire process for procuring 126 combat jets would be scrapped, sources revealed. A new G-to-G (government-to-government) contract is likely to be negotiated between New Delhi and Paris to buy around 60 Rafale jets in flyaway condition from France.

According to top sources, this approach is being adopted for two primary reasons: one, it is imperative that the IAF gets these jets as soon as possible in view of the fast depleting numbers and two, because the impasse in the price negotiations. The entire procurement procedure for the combat jets has turned into a chaotic process thanks to the indecision on part of the political leadership in the previous regime and some loopholes in the negotiations itself making it impossible for the government to arrive at a satisfactory solution.India is likely to ask for lowering of the price per aircraft too when the G-to-G negotiations get underway. By ordering 60 aircraft to be manufactured in France itself, the government is also hoping to skirt the tricky issue of guaranteeing quality of work under Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), designated as the Lead Production Agency in India.

The government's drastic decision to scarp the torturous procurement process is aimed at augmenting the IAF's falling numbers as well as save about RS 60,000 crore in precious foreign exchange. The calculation is that the 60-odd aircraft would cost about RS 40-45000 crore to be paid out over next four-five years instead of over Rs one Lakh crore necessary to procure the original number of 126 combat jets.

This thing would open a Pandora box. We donot know what is the price tag for Rafale and EFT, but if the idea is to go for off the shelf procurement, why didn't India go with Typhoon, considering they were ready to induct India as a program partner, which could've meant far more customization than what we can expect from Rafale and perhaps bargained a better price too.
Or is there another twist in the story?

This deal was supposed to be steroids for Indian aviation, now it's about to be a regular procurement. What a waste of tiiimmmmeeee.

See post #22 i gave some viable options for what India can do. The last option is the best, but yes if India outright cancels the Rafale deal i would think that France would crawl to the negotiation table. I'm not sure why anyone would want to deal with France after the MMRCA and Mistral fiasco.

MIG 35 and the Griphen were like the lowest on the desired totem pole.

Boeing and TATA Advanced Systems Limited team up to make Silent Hornet.:bunny:

Q0117405130221121941.jpg

:victory::bounce::flame:

maybe its just Tranche 1
like the case with MKI
where the initial deal was for 50 Aircrafts,
IAF liked them so they ended up ordering 272 of them in 4 batches

who knows
maybe these 60-63 jets are a stopgap, so as to allow IAF some room.

If you people take a look at the maths, then you will find out that IAF has marked 12 Sqds of Mig21/27 for retirement in next 8 years, 8 of these sqds will be retired by 2020
will our Induction outlook till now only involved delivery of remaining 4 MKI sqds and 2 sqds of LCA MK1
fast track induction of 3 Rafale Sqds could help in offsetting the drop in sad strength

Back
Top Bottom