What's new

India to build second aircraft carrier

No, it shouldn't. Where's all the frigates, destroyers, corvettes, subs, etc to cover all these?
Buying QE class from UK which was offered, will result in induction of new AC earlier than the IAC-2. Also we will have the time to make it super carrier , nuclear powered and most possibly EMALS. So extending IAC-2 few years and building frigates,destroyers etc can be given priority.

India should also develop EMALS(Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System) this reduces the need to have a separate boilers on conventional AC, and in Nuclear powered AC it is more energy efficient.

it occupies less space, no steam is used, greater precision, 30% more energy is delivered, requires less maintenance and is less hazardous.

Buying QE class from UK which was offered, will result in induction of new AC earlier than the IAC-2. Also we will have the time to make it super carrier , nuclear powered and most possibly EMALS. So extending IAC-2 few years and building frigates,destroyers etc can be given priority.

Why do you need all these carriers in such a hurry for anyways? The time line is fine.

And these Queen Elizabeth offers are rumors from 2009.

Besides, why spend billions of dollars to help Britian's defense industry?

India should also develop EMALS(Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System) this reduces the need to have a separate boilers on conventional AC, and in Nuclear powered AC it is more energy efficient.

it occupies less space, no steam is used, greater precision, 30% more energy is delivered, requires less maintenance and is less hazardous.

I beg to differ, India should Go for Steam catapult. EMALS will turn the project into Kavery engine... EMALS is latest technology, still there is no operational carrier with EMALS...

Go for steam catapult or ramp....

I am saying that in parallel to IAC-2 construction, IN should also buy AC from UK it will up the no. of ACs with India & make it an undisputed power in IOR.

not needed...Indian Navy is already undisputed power in IOR..after 3-4 years,we will have 3 ACs...and when we have capability to build this kind of ACs,then buy them???

No, it shouldn't. Where's all the frigates, destroyers, corvettes, subs, fleet tankers, etc to cover all these?

INS Vikramaditya
IAC-1
IAC-2

I'm glad someone brought this point up. We may have the capability to build parallelly in other shipyards or even buy from other countries. But there is no way we will be able to put up so many Carrier Battle groups simultaneously. A lone carrier or even one with a cut down carrier group size is a big bulls eye for the enemy. India is better off having one potent carrier group that having 2-3 carriers with a watered down entourage.

I beg to differ, India should Go for Steam catapult. EMALS will turn the project into Kavery engine... EMALS is latest technology, still there is no operational carrier with EMALS...

Go for steam catapult or ramp....

yes but what I meant is to develop this system and when it is completed, instal it on AC. Till the time steam catapults will do the job.

IS it a confirmed news that england had intensions to sell 1AC to us or is it mere speculation:lol:

Speculations......which is very much likely to be true, since they're cutting their defense budget, they might look for a buyer for their in-construction AC.

And India seems to be a probable customer.

Its will take years to develop even england depends on catapult technology given by USA.
So without wasting time we should try to get EMALS from america.
They are willing to give us anything we want at present :usflag:

The reason IAC-1 was late by 2yrs was because Russia could not provide high grade steel as was agreed between India and Russia..So India had to setup high grade steel manufacturing unit..

I dont think that would be a problem for IAC II though..so it will keep to its schedule :)

That was a rumour my bad, actually i read it in some article that's why.

BTW, EMALS could be acquired from certain countries, and will certainly be way better than steam ones.

Back
Top Bottom