Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

India ‘seriously’ considering bid for 2036 Olympic Games: sports minister

Reuters Published December 28, 2022 Updated 2 days ago

<p>Indian sports minister Anurag Thakur. — Photo via Scroll.in/File</p>

Indian sports minister Anurag Thakur. — Photo via Scroll.in/File
1x1.2x1.5x
India is “seriously” considering a bid to host the 2036 Olympic Games, Indian sports minister Anurag Thakur said.
The world’s second-most populous nation has previously hosted the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games, and Thakur told the Times of India newspaper that it was the “right time” to host the Olympics.
“If India is making news in every sector, from manufacturing to services, then why not in the field of sports? India is looking very seriously at bidding for the 2036 Olympics,” Thakur added.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said it was in preliminary discussions with 10 cities but has not revealed a timeframe for when it plans to award the 2036 edition.
Paris, Los Angeles and Brisbane host the next three Games.
Among potential rivals for the Games are Indonesia and South Korea, as well as Qatar, which hosted this year’s FIFA World Cup.
Germany is considering whether to launch another Olympic bid despite strong domestic opposition.
Thakur said his government would consult the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and prepare a roadmap ahead of the IOC session in Mumbai next year.
“The IOC session is a prestigious event for India and whatever steps have to be taken to bid along with the IOA, the government will support them. It has to be a joint preparation.”
New Delhi hosted the Asian Games in 1951 and 1982 and the Commonwealth Games in 2010.
Thakur suggested Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s home state of Gujarat would be presented as a potential Olympic venue.
“Gujarat has several times expressed interest in hosting the Olympics,” he said. “They have the infrastructure […] It’s also part of the state government’s manifesto to host the Olympics in Gujarat.”

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...awn.com/news/1728685&display=popup&ref=plugin

Why not, if they can pull it off, Kudos to them. Although I think they will have stiff competition this time around.

Shame Tokyo Olympics turned out to be so disappointing due to COVID, I really wanted to visit but the whole COVID situation ruined it.

Ha! they wont get many Pakistani Visitors. I think Lahore can be a good place sometime in the future for Olympics, once the Dar fixes the financial issues.

you can have olympics anywere as long as you pay off the big guys to vote you in for Olympic location.

Ha! they wont get many Pakistani Visitors. I think Lahore can be a good place sometime in the future for Olympics, once the Dar fixes the financial issues.
In your dreams…. 😂😂😂

In your dreams…. 😂😂😂
Only thing Dar is capable of fixing are the cases of corruption against him with the help of fake Hafiz… and co…

I think Germany will win. It will be surprised if Indonesia or India can win for 2036 games. I think more chance will be for 2040 games for countries like Indonesia or India, so best time for bidding will likely be in 2028 for both countries.

Why not, if they can pull it off, Kudos to them. Although I think they will have stiff competition this time around.

Shame Tokyo Olympics turned out to be so disappointing due to COVID, I really wanted to visit but the whole COVID situation ruined it.

Tokyo Olympic is a success. Amid Covid 19 pandemic, the event is still held without major hurdle.

Olympics are not profitable at all for the host countries.

A friend of mines is an auditor for Zurich and was involved in the Qatar FIFA project; in his words, the games will result in a Sunk Cost for Qatar. Meaning they will not profit or recover from the cost of the project.

A friend of mines is an auditor for Zurich and was involved in the Qatar FIFA project; in his words, the games will result in a Sunk Cost for Qatar. Meaning they will not profit or recover from the cost of the project.

Absolutely, it was insane for them to even consider spending 200 billion dollars. Priorities for India is different, even if it takes 20-30 billion dollars, that amount could be better spent elsewhere, rather than bidding for these vanity projects.

Absolutely, it was insane for them to even consider spending 200 billion dollars. Priorities for India is different, even if it takes 20-30 billion dollars, that amount could be better spent elsewhere, rather than bidding for these vanity projects.
The actual cost is well over $ 300+ billion; that's how insane and stupid this whole venture was. But unfortunately, he has an accurate report because the Qatar government did not calculate the after-costs, which will come back and bite them.

The actual cost is well over $ 300+ billion; that's how insane and stupid this whole venture was. But unfortunately, he has an accurate report because the Qatar government did not calculate the after-costs, which will come back and bite them.

Arabs are blinded by their quick oil money, I wonder what will happen to them when the world will switch over to clean energy in the next 20 years?

Arabs are blinded by their quick oil money, I wonder what will happen to them when the world will switch over to clean energy in the next 20 years?
They will find other ways of revenue. Saudi Arabia has already started depending less on oil.

Nothing. They will go back to being desert dwellers. The ultimate problem with sudden wealth when you don't build from the ground up is that you don't know how to utilize the wealth from the on-start properly. They failed on the allocation strategy. The Arabs are a case study.

They will find other ways of revenue. Saudi Arabia has already started depending less on oil.

They will fail; look at where the major activities and sources of revenue are and understand why.

Back
Top Bottom