What's new

India to bid for 2019 Asian Games, keen on washing off CWG scam taint

'
Bangalore bro.

I live in bangalore now and lived in Delhi previously. Bangalore is no where ready to host the games. You need stadiums, transport, housing facility and many things which Delhi got due to 2010 games

I live in bangalore now and lived in Delhi previously. Bangalore is no where ready to host the games. You need stadiums, transport, housing facility and many things which Delhi got due to 2010 games

2019 bro, and its Asian Games, not CWG, and by 2019 Banglore already have the world class infrastructure including Metro.

2019 bro, and its Asian Games, not CWG, and by 2019 Banglore already have the world class infrastructure including Metro.

Bangalore used to be the best interms of infra, but I hate to travel in bangalore in peak hours. The traffic is one of the worst

Bangalore used to be the best interms of infra, but I hate to travel in bangalore in peak hours. The traffic is one of the worst

That too applied to Delhi bro. even during peak hours or we say it as office hour, metro become impossible transport system.

That too applied to Delhi bro. even during peak hours or we say it as office hour, metro become impossible transport system.

I do not know much about Delhi as i traveled only twice.... But i lived in Bangalore for 2 years and i visit often....

The cost of hosting the games in any other city will be much higher than hosting it in Delhi.

In any other city, the construction of various stadiums and player accommodation have to start from scratch. Where as in Delhi, all you need to do is make minor upgrades to the existing stadiums.

No other city will be ready to host the games. Only Delhi has the necessary infrastructure

2003 Afro-Asian Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2003 Afro-Asian Games, officially known as the First Afro-Asian Gamesor I Afro-Asian Games and unofficially known as the Inaugural Afro-Asian Games, was a major international multi-sport event held in Hyderabad, India,[2]from October 24 (excluding football and hockey, which began on October 22 and October 23 respectively) to November 1, 2003.[1]

The Afro-Asian Games was the largest sporting event ever to be held in Hyderabad, and one of the largest in India, second only to the 2010 Commonwealth Games by athletes' volume. The scale of these Games exceeds even the two Asian Games held in Delhi in 1951 (both by athletes' volume and by number of participating nations) and 1982 (by number of participating nations). More than 2000 athletes from 96 countries competed in the Games. A total of 131 sporting events in eight disciplines were conducted. Also, 120 countries sent 1,565 official representatives to these Games.

Venues[edit]
The events of the Games were held across eight stadiums, spread throughout the suburb of Gachibowli. The venues were:[5]

Gachibowli
GMC Balayogi Athletic Stadium
Capacity: 30,000
Events: Opening and closing ceremonies, Athletics, Boxing,FootballKotla Vijay Bhaskar Reddy Indoor Stadium
Capacity: 2,000
Events: WeightliftingLal Bahadur Shastri Stadium
Capacity: 30,000[23]
Events: FootballGachibowli Hockey Stadium
Capacity: 8,000
Events: Hockey

Gachibowli
Central University Shooting Range
Capacity: 600[24]
Events: ShootingAquatics Complex
Capacity: 2,000
Events: SwimmingSAAP Tennis Complex
Capacity: 4,000
Events: TennisGachibowli Indoor Stadium
Capacity: 4,000
Events: Boxing

AP is ready, we hosted Afro-Asian games way back in 2003 when Chandra Babu Naidu was CM of AP.If given a chance and funding AP can host Asian Games in 2019.Now you know why Hyderabad became a Destination for MNC's and IT investments post 2000 Chandra babu Built stadiums,infrastructure and showed it off to the world and that in return attracted even more Investment from other nations,who were impressed by the development.
Those who were saying hosting such an event is waste of money should think otherwise.It helped AP in the long run in FDI.
We had the infrastructure way back in 2003 even before New Delhi did.With some funding we can do it again in 2019.By that time Hyderabad Metro would be fully operational and many other transport systems.

Last edited:
Sports[edit]
The program of the Afro-Asian Games was almost the same as that of the Asian Games, the only difference being in the number of sports. These Games witnessed eight disciplines in eight sports. Synchronised swimming and diving were not contested.

The list of sports is given below (Number in parentheses indicates number of events).

Legacy[edit]
The success of the Games was a point in favor of India being able to host a major international sporting event. Subsequently, this success was used in the bidding of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, which was ultimately awarded toDelhi.[34][50]

In addition, the hospitality sector received a major boost due to the games, as hotels and guest houses received large booking orders from people who were coming to see the Games - media-persons, delegates, officials, visitors, sports-persons, etc. Tourism also benefited from the Games, and the State Tourism Department showed many foreign journalists key tourism spots in the city.[51] Many famous places such as the Charminar and the Chowmahalla Palace saw record number of visitors.

Also, famous local markets witnessed exceptional growth in sales and business, as demand peaked during the Games. Business of the world-renowned pearls of Hyderabad increased by about 50%, generating revenue of
7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png
50 million in one week. The rise in buyers was mainly driven by African visitors, who prefer pearls as jewellery.[52] Also, sale of gold jewellery increased substantially, being driven by a large number of Muslim visitors who looked for traditional and intricate designs.[52]In addition, bangles became the center of attraction for Chinese and African athletes.[52]

See the benefit of hosting such a sporting event and the impact it had on AP business
Besides Security is good In AP especially Hyderabad,when compared to Delhi and some North Indian states, Women are secure in AP most of the time.

Last edited:
No point in showing off...... Use the money for some other purpose, that will be more effective, productive and useful

Its not only about showing off, its also about promoting a different picture of India into a globalized world, where these things matter!

That goes from attracting investors of all sizes to attracting more tourists (I guess I do not have to tell you what many potential tourists think about cities Delhi)

Apart from that, much of the money will be spent on infrastructure. And if it helps to finally get a proper waste management system into our national capital, I wont complain for a second.

Other fields like public security can also get a boost from this

Back
Top Bottom