What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

The map of Bombay's commuter rail network now includes recent additions - Monorail and Metro lines…
cc: Mumbaimirror.com

I absolutely love maps... and am always pained to see the shabby maps of Indian cities and commuter routes. Even the official Delhi Metro map lacks the quality expected from a system of that level.

It is really heartening to see the well-designed map of Mumbai transport, that use incorporated most of the global best practices. And it is good that they are already using these maps on the train stations. Their site: mrane.com is a pleasure to go through. They've thought through the map design in depth, incl. the color scheme that fits color blind, green blind, etc. Great job!

e-mail them bro.
You'll put them on cloud 9;
they are a bunch of kids.
IIT kids, but kids still.

Direct feedback is do-able in India of today.

I absolutely love maps... and am always pained to see the shabby maps of Indian cities and commuter routes. Even the official Delhi Metro map lacks the quality expected from a system of that level.

+1 A well designed, easy-to-read map is always a pleasure to refer to. I like how everything is zoned accurately, the font alignment and font itself, is perfect, all of which make for easy reference. Kudos to the students at IIT-Bombay.

I hate to draw a parallel here, but It's uncanny how the transport map of Bombay reminds me of the train lines running across Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens. The eastern harbour and creeks are akin to the East river separating Manhattan from its eastern boroughs.

Patentneer's posts are most insightful in this thread. Although I dont understant some weird things like his PPP dollar to rupee conversion rate, his admiration for colonial looters etc, he has something original to share and has unique way to present big picture of India's bright future.

PPP then?

India's main problem - infrastructure deficit. Yes!

What is infrastructure?
  • In India, it's Tata steel + Birla cement + Bihari-Bengali-Bhaiyya labour ;) !
Plenty of related inputs like coal, stone, water (mostly wasted) and oil (in the neighbourhood, so oil by products for layering roads, lining canals, plastic).

Given the above problem, Indian steel, cement or labour remains 10 to 100 times cheaper then the world. Yes.

Therefore, when the
  1. $ 100 Billion remittances yearly
  2. $ 100 Billion that the Indian IT Co.'s bring in yearly or the
  3. Diamond-Oil refining-Textile-Vehicle exports bring in another $ 100 Billion
is worth what in local steel, cement, labour again?
Conclusion : Re: above infrastructure deficit relative to the price of basic steel, cement and labour which remains 10-100 times cheaper means just the above 2, are worth 10-100 times, or
  • $ 1,000 to $ 10,000 Billion worth of steel, cement, labour.
    That's $ 1 to 10 Trillion worth of steel, cement and labour, in PPP.
The gold standard. On a separate note, Sanatana Dharma is backed by solid gold. Indians continue to buy gold, never gave up actually.

More: Purchasing power parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---xxx---

Want to see non-PPP ?

JLR Launches Made-In-India Jaguar XJ, 3'rd Local Jag

jaguarxjproduction.jpg

@ Rs. 92.1 Lakhs, the 10-100 times cheaper same local steel, cement & labour argument goes str8 to hell :hitwall: !

Despair not, PPP is not really meant for uber luxe stuff but basic, non-branded bricks-&-mortar, steel-cement-labour check dams, Sardar Sarovar type canals, DMIDC type rail projects, Krishna-Godavari type gas pipelines, river linking project, Kalpasar type ocean dam or canal top solar photovoltaic roll-out. Mega stuff!

Another Model
37625fb6-e288-406e-98ea-71387ddd11c8.img

Yet Another Model
jaguar-050112.jpg

Not ;) !

Vs.

'PPP' Stuff ...

images

images

0.jpg

india-labour.jpg

Re: Indian economy, Raghav Bahl says take all PSU out to all ministries and put them under a holding committee. So what will happen you would have a situation in which you will start with an asset base of $300-$400 billion in assets as currently valued, on the basis of that his estimate is that anything that you want to raise between $500 billion to $1 trillion in the next 5 years you can raise and use it for infrastructure. At the same time downsize the government as such and professionalise the management of each one of those enterprises.

Smashing Idea, Retractable, Modifying Spikes :woot:

Retractable spikes to prevent traffic going the wrong way.

a_RoadShark6in_1.jpg

img-4324_1.jpg

road-spike-dhaka-wb.jpg

The spikes retract when a vehicle goes in the right direction but just you try going the wrong way. Want one ;) ?

Last edited:
Patentneer's posts are most insightful in this thread. Although I dont understant some weird things like his PPP dollar to rupee conversion rate, his admiration for colonial looters etc, he has something original to share and has unique way to present big picture of India's bright future.

I can see what he's trying to say about PPP. Let's say we have 20 dollars (1200 rupees) . That will buy you a worker for only 1 hour in the US. Meanwhile , in India, that same 20 dollars could buy you at least 10 workers for 1 hour. Thus , with like 50 million dollars , you can build probably 1 flyover in the US , while many more in India. So 50 million dollars could be like 200 million in PPP terms (just as an example).

I can see what he's trying to say about PPP. Let's say we have 20 dollars (1200 rupees) . That will buy you a worker for only 1 hour in the US. Meanwhile , in India, that same 20 dollars could buy you at least 10 workers for 1 hour. Thus , with like 50 million dollars , you can build probably 1 flyover in the US , while many more in India. So 50 million dollars could be like 200 million in PPP terms (just as an example).

^^^

Phew, thanks!

How many more? Flyovers; that is.
How many more flyovers then, is the question.
  • 10 times more, :woot: roughly.
Modi 'Gujarati Gentleman' pic., reminded me of old school Mumbai-Karachi Businessmen.
23modi.jpg

I'm thinking old school cloth merchants. India is Gujarati Gentleman country.
Think Tata, Ambani, Premji, Gandhi, Jinnah, Patel, Desai ... cut from the same cloth?

:offtopic:

I notice, that building heights have jumped recently and there are 100's of 50 storey residential towers coming up all across India. and I think this thread is witness to the fact. New norm ?

Last edited:
@Bombaywalla

I visited mumbai some days ago. It's a great city with vibrant people. But what i noticed is that there is just too many slums, and most of them are muslims so i guess they are bangladeshi infiltrators, something should be done.

Also the roads are excellent on main routes but the connecting roads are terrible. For ex: I went from Chandivali to Hiranandani, both these areas have good roads but the router connecting them has terrible bumpy roads. Compared to that Delhi is far better in roads.

And the view from Sealink was just fantastic, one of a kind in South Asia.

^^^

Phew, thanks!

How many more? Flyovers; that is.
How many more flyovers then, is the question.
  • 10 times more, :woot: roughly.
Modi 'Gujarati Gentleman' pic., reminded me of old school Mumbai-Karachi Businessmen.
23modi.jpg

I'm thinking old school cloth merchants. India is Gujarati Gentleman country.
Think Tata, Ambani, Premji, Gandhi, Jinnah, Patel, Desai ... cut from the same cloth?

:offtopic:

I notice, that building heights have jumped recently and there are 100's of 50 storey residential towers coming up all across India. and I think this thread is witness to the fact. New norm ?
hey dumbo!!!
still stuck here????
gud fr u brah!!!

Trolls never mind, Mumbai is slum-land allr8 @anyrandom.

Simple logic says :
  • British colonial city. I know a lot about Bombay. Long story short, the goras solicited folks to settle their city. Attracted minorities, marginalised types and even foriegners like Parsis, Baghdadi Jews or Siddi Arabs. Idea was to build up tax base. So zabardast civil works, parks, public areas ... Disneyland was on the cards. The tax base was actively built on import-export trade rather then traditional agriculture. For eg. the Indian Ocean trade. Success, New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Shanghai came later. But Aden, Rangoon, Calcutta self-sabotaged. Karachi is messed up.
The hordes arrived at the gates re: Indian independence and withdrawal of British from Bombay. Over time, Bombayites' civic sensibilities got diluted and confused while native Mumbaikar politicians amplified their rhetoric. Headcount settled the issue. So local oliticos solicited vote banks and rolled them in, settled them up in public lands. By this time the Bombay public coundn't care less, survival was the main issue.

And the politicians hijacked civic life, public land and resources to amplify thier vote banks, whatever the cost. Clear as mud ?

Nice to know about Sealink, never been. I figure I'll cover Sealink & Harbour link in 1 shot!

Last edited:
Not bad.

As a proud Canadian, born-n-raised, we Canadians have grown to live with our 100 pound gorilla American neighbour.
S. Asians are world famous for arranged marriages. The good news for Pakistan's common public-

Pak. Army, and it's Mumbai 26/11 terror type wings, won't take on a strong, US style, 100 pound gorilla neighbour. Won't play. No game.
  • Why not Canada- America style arranged friendship for Pak.-India, never mind arrange marriage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom