What's new

India at the Olympic: why no one ever considers the genetic angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genetics undoubtedly does play a role in certain sports (ex. African domination of track), however the main factor is always going to be the level of state support. Asian countries; Japan and Korea dominated. A poor country with a small population; Cuba, also did exceptionally well, all because of strong state support.

India has immense potential in sports and by virtue of their population alone, I foresee them easily rising up to fourth or fifth in the distant future.

Again, I'm not denying that genetics does not play a role, but it's marginal in most cases, what matters more is the sports infrastructure of the country and the level of state patronage.

Richer states of South India seemed to outperform the more populous states of North India (barring North-west India)

View attachment 769169

Also, I find it very odd that a Bengali is berating an Indian on their genetics considering how Bengalis and Indians are very closely related.

View attachment 769171
What are the X and Y axis on this chart?

Some obsessions can never end, cope. 0 medals. How many more threads will you open on India now?

In another thread OP believes British rule of the subcontinent was a boon and even sports a profile pic of their British colonial overlord
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/india-is-catching-up.719666/

Now in this thread, credits the subcontinent only gold medal so far to European genes
As can be seen above, Rors have the highest affinity to Europeans

Even the most rabid Stormfront posters won't come up with such crap

Last edited:
"Epigenetic" is the keyword. Here is first line of Wiki article on epigenetics:

Epigenetics is a fancy word that describes the study of the factors that influence how our genes work. These factors cause changes that happen on the outside of your genes, a process called methylation. Methylation changes the ability of a gene to receive and react to biochemical messages from the body.

Picture your genes almost like a string of lights: constantly turning on and off depending on which biochemical signals they’re receiving from the body.

Scientists know that methylation patterns are affected by lifestyle, diet and exposure to pollutants. They also know that even a single workout can change the methylation pattern on some of the genes in our muscle cells. The long-term effect exercise has on methylation patterns, however, has been a mystery until recently.

Epigenetics is a fancy word that describes the study of the factors that influence how our genes work. These factors cause changes that happen on the outside of your genes, a process called methylation. Methylation changes the ability of a gene to receive and react to biochemical messages from the body.

Picture your genes almost like a string of lights: constantly turning on and off depending on which biochemical signals they’re receiving from the body.

Scientists know that methylation patterns are affected by lifestyle, diet and exposure to pollutants. They also know that even a single workout can change the methylation pattern on some of the genes in our muscle cells. The long-term effect exercise has on methylation patterns, however, has been a mystery until recently.

Okay I have no problem with that, exercise can definitely bring great changes, epigenetics or whatever else. I was just surprised that you said it changes DNA which is wrong.

This has to do with the lack of financial and physical infrastructure, lack of science based training methods, culture, and poverty. All of these things can change, and if/when they do, the medals will come.

Case in point: China. Here is China's medal count from 1984 to 2021

1628782031713.png

Genes do play a part in a person's natural athleticism or lack thereof. But the playing field can be leveled through proper training.

Baat to sahi kari hai, India ke alava baaki saare fusss rahey...

Mashallah, hum fir bhi kuch medal jeetai.... men and wahmen both mein !
Anyone who see that sentence would cringe like mofo

If this is what saving honor looks like, then there was no honor in the first place

Mainu kad laye Maulla, aye baighairti nai chal sakdi lol

I've said this before, and it didn't receive a great audience. The people from the sub-continent are not physically orientated.

Go to any western country and see how many south asians are in a physical job, like construction or mining. Look at taxi driving ( sitting on your butt all day) and there's no shortage.

This has to do with the lack of financial and physical infrastructure, lack of science based training methods, culture, and poverty. All of these things can change, and if/when they do, the medals will come.

Case in point: China. Here is China's medal count from 1984 to 2021

View attachment 769193

Genes do play a part in a person's natural athleticism or lack thereof. But the playing field can be leveled through proper training.

POint taken but China at it's lowest point still won 5 Gold Medals....that's an impressive achievement

I do realize that...but West Africans from English speaking Carribean have much less admixture..point is blacks get their athletic strength from their famed West African genetics (sickle cell mutation, myostatin mutation etc etc)...But unless these blacks have been nurtured in a developed society or a middle income society or in a Soviet style sports mad regime (Cuba), they are not going to perform.....Nigeria is the world's largest source of West African genetics....and they failed to win a single gold medal this Olympics

I am not denying genetics... I will give you that..Indians have horrible genetics...But even with horrible genetics if India improves nutrition, vaccination, fumigation and training (out lay of probably 50-100 billion euros a year), India even with shatty genetics can bag double digit worth of gold medals ....We started this dawn in 2008 but corrupt Congress meant it was a False Dawn...if everything went right since then, we should have had at least 4 Gold medals in 2020 Olympics...anyways let this be a new dawn and let in 2040..India win 10 gold medals at the very least ..It is doable even with bad genetics

These two videos I find fascinating

No country or race has horrible genetics. They are developed within a set environmental/climatic and societal background. If a country is at peace, there is no need for the citizens for them to prepare for war. Harsh living conditions made Blacks somewhat strong. India had an abundance of food, natural resources, trade that we had no reason to invade other nations. Those days it was simply resources which dictated war and migration. Again inside india South Indians are considered brainy but doesn't mean NI are fools. It's just education we had a headstart due to glorious leaders after independence. When more NI get educated, you will see them at ISRO/DRDO too. It's the training that matters.

Neeraj Chopra won not due to his genetics. But him getting trained in Europe by a German coach and a swede Bio Mechanics expert.

POint taken but China at it's lowest point still won 5 Gold Medals....that's an impressive achievement
Cammunist countries are great at churning out Olympians

I think we should follow thier examples instead of looking up to the west (as far as Olympics are concerned)

Olympics need a more hands on government role or at the very least a centralized authority

Just relying on private sector isn't a good solution (in the long run)

It's all about funds and training, not genes. If Indians can do well in hockey, it can do well in almost all sports.but Indian government put all the money for buying foreign weapons instead of people's well being.

What are the X and Y axis on this chart?
The axis isn't really that relevant. What the chart basically visualizes is the genetic distances between the ethnic groups that were inputted. For example, two points that are really close to each other means that there is a strong genetic relation between the two.

For a continent of 1.4 billion people India's medal tally is outright humiliating, even for us (as we are sometimes confused with Indians).
View attachment 769140

In fact there's more excuses than medals for the Indian continent's Olympic failure. The excuses provided by Indian incels online range from "our culture is not sports oriented" to "we care about Cricket only" and "because Hindu don't eat meat" etc etc etc.

However everyone deliberately ignores the elephant in the room. That is Indian people's genetic limitation. Maybe they are simply not cut out for sports? When you look at their history it's full of one way invasions and never the other way around. Seeing the Olympic scores I imagine India's geographic location/barriers/distance actually protected them from ancient/medieval Chinese and Europeans quite well.

Not very surprisingly, the lone gold medal winner Neeraj Chopra comes from a caste in India, the Rors, who have the highest affinity to Europeans among all castes. See below for a comparison of genetic distance between North Indian Brahmins, Jatts, Rors and Europeans (represented by German and Irish). I used freely available population genetics data and the popular tool called Vahaduo.

View attachment 769154

As can be seen above, Rors have the highest affinity to Europeans, even more than Jatts, meaning they have the highest genetic contribution from ancient Central Asian groups (before the genetic landscape got changed by Turks). Everyone can do their own analysis with the publicly available genetics data - this is Science so rest assured you will all arrive at the same results.
So this further reinforces the genetic pov for Indian continent's abysmal Olympic performance.

If I am correct and the limitation is genetic and cannot be overcome anyhow, why not hire foreigners to do the job? The Marathas used to hire Arab mercenaries to defeat their neighbors. As long as Indians remain delusional about their abilities their Olympic medal tally will continue to remain at the bottom of the pile.
South Asians not good when competing with rest of the world. Its nothing new.

Even in 1980 when china was as poor as india they used to win way more then indians did.

You cant invest money and hope a cow can fly. It cant.

Thats why i always india should never compare them self with china. They will always lose on every front.

West can hype india super power all they want in reality it wont happen. Just few days ago Australia said india is answer to china. But is it? Its pure BS.

Bangladesh sucks big time. But bd as a country never talk big being super power...surgical strike...manufacturing superpower...pharmacy of the world...BS like this. Indians been screaming for respect last 20 years...you need to earn it. Its not given.

South Asians not good when competing with rest of the world. Its nothing new.

Even in 1980 when china was as poor as india they used to win way more then indians did.

You cant invest money and hope a cow can fly. It cant.

Thats why i always india should never compare them self with china. They will always lose on every front.

West can hype india super power all they want in reality it wont happen. Just few days ago Australia said india is answer to china. But is it? Its pure BS.

Bangladesh sucks big time. But bd as a country never talk big being super power...surgical strike...manufacturing superpower...pharmacy of the world...BS like this.

Bangladesh holds the world record for being the most populous country in history without a SINGLE Olympic medal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom