What's new

IMF:Bangladesh GDP 249 Billion USD, Per capita 1,525 USD in 2017.

I didn't took their backward or forward projection for comparing 2016 and 2017 per capita figure.346 and 325 dollar was taken from their respective current year estimation.So we can confidently say that,gap is narrowing.:pleasantry:
Makes no sense at all. There is nothing called a backwards projection.
Projections go against your hypothesis so how is the gap narrowing?
Sure you'd not leave any stone unturned to harp at how you are developing economically, but if belittling India is the objective then it's a very narrow minded approach. Hope the thought process gap broadens with time.

Lets keep calm and keep growing, hater are just gonna hate......:-)
You know that this thread started by stating economic progress + taking potshots at India, in site of which we praise your progress. Who is the hater here?

The gap between India and Bangladesh in 2016 was $322, and its $326 dollars in 2017, and it will be $347 in 2018, now you tell me if the gap is narrowing or widening! Since these are estimates, the figures might not be exactly the same when the next WEO is published in the next year, but I don't see any evidence of the gap narrowing.

What you are doing is, taking one figure from the WEO 2016, and another figure from WEO 2017, and saying look, the gap is narrowing!
Dude who knows what will happen in the future.....leave it for future. No point arguing over it.

One thing I'd like to point not as an argument but simply as a statement, if you google "Bangladesh gdp per capita 2007" you will see Bangladesh at $543 and India at $1068. So in 2007 the gap was over $500. In those ten years...maybe the gap increased in soome years and it decreased in some years. But over the Course of 10 years the gap narrowed by $200.

Well that doesn't mean anything now. But my point is the argument whether the gap between our gdp will widen or narrow down is a pointless one. Because it depends on many small factors. However it is a good thing that both of countries are doing well. Lets leave it at that. It would be pathetic to brag about our GDPs when they are as low as $1500 and $1800 respectively. Good luck to you and your country.

GST is a monetary/fiscal reform, not an infrastructural project. And you need to provide a source for the 1.5-2% addition to the growth rate. Such reforms are stated as high risks as they could go either way.

It shows how much you informed about economics...

The passage of the Constitutional Amendment Bill on GST has paved the way for introduction of GST in India, likely in H1FY18. The need for GST has been felt because under the current indirect tax structure 1) tax barriers have fragmented the Indian market, 2) cascading effects of taxes on cost have made indigenous manufacture less attractive, 3) complex multiple taxes have raised cost of compliance.

The GST Council has finalised a four-tier GST tax structure of 5 per cent, 12 per cent, 18 per cent and 28 per cent, with lower rates for essential items and the highest for luxury and de-merits goods, including luxury cars, SUVs and tobacco products, that would also attract an additional cess. Moreover, with a view to keeping inflation under check, essential items including food, which presently constitute roughly half of the consumer inflation basket, will be taxed at zero rate. The cess is expected to provide additional resources to the central government to compensate states for losses incurred. This will be based on the compensation formula.

GST is expected to have a favourable outcome on the economy

1. Removal of tax barriers with seamless credit will make India a common market leading to economies of scale in production and efficiency in supply chain.

2. Removal of cascading effect of taxes embedded in cost of production of goods and services, significantly reducing cost of indigenous goods and indirectly promoting ‘Make in India’.

Insure your home against all odds!Ad Bajaj Allianz
3. Facilitating ease of doing business - Integration of existing multiple taxes into single GST will significantly reduce cost of tax compliance and transaction cost.

4. Stable, transparent and predictable tax regime to encourage local and foreign investment in India creating significant job opportunities.
Sectoral impact

http://m.economictimes.com/markets/...-and-various-sectors/articleshow/57355477.cms

The exact rates applicable to particular goods and services have not been finalized and this will likely happen over the next few weeks. Hence, it is difficult to measure the exact impact across sectors. Based on the current tax rates (central excise and VAT) for key product segments across sectors and the proposed GST rates, we expect most sectors to gain or otherwise in a limited way.

As part of GST implementation, service tax is expected to go up from the current levels of 14.5 per cent, which will be negative for service companies in airlines, telecom, insurance, etc., in terms of demand impact.

1. An important fallout of GST could be shift from unorganised to organised segment. The unorganised sector will come into the tax net and will lose the benefits arising from non-payment of taxes and levies. Thus, companies which are operating in sectors will high unorganised component will benefit in terms of increased demand. Companies in sectors like plywood, ceramic tiles, batteries, etc. will stand to benefit.

2. The sectors which have long value chain from basic goods to final consumption stage with operation spread in multiple states such as FMCG, pharma, consumer durables, etc should benefit. FMCG companies could generate substantial savings in logistics and distribution costs as the need for multiple sales depots will be eliminated. FMCG companies pay nearly 24-25 per cent including excise duty, VAT and entry tax and a lower rate of 18 per cent could yield significant reduction in taxes. But a higher GST rate of 28 per cent for consumer durables and some FMCG products may disappoint the market. Warehouse rationalisation and reduction of overall tax rates, is expected to generate saving.

3. Some automobile companies could gain from GST implementation if the GST rate on their products is 18 per cent and they are able to retain the benefits of lower rates. However, the higher rate of 28 per cent would be negative versus expectations.

4. Services sector, like telecom could face marginally negative impact from the higher service tax rate of 18 per cent (likely) versus 15 per cent currently.

However macro benefits emanating from implementing GST far outreach the negatives, it is also a significant change communicating to the world at large that we are focused on one path for economic progress.

but if belittling India is the objective then it's a very narrow minded approach.
I have no intention to belittle India.But Bangladesh overtaking Indian in per capita GDP will be a good slap in the face of shameless bhakt/Sanghi for doing propaganda of '200 million illegal Bangladeshi are taking over Bharat.':lol:

Dude who knows what will happen in the future.....leave it for future. No point arguing over it.

One thing I'd like to point not as an argument but simply as a statement, if you google "Bangladesh gdp per capita 2007" you will see Bangladesh at $543 and India at $1068. So in 2007 the gap was over $500. In those ten years...maybe the gap increased in soome years and it decreased in some years. But over the Course of 10 years the gap narrowed by $200.

Well that doesn't mean anything now. But my point is the argument whether the gap between our gdp will widen or narrow down is a pointless one. Because it depends on many small factors. However it is a good thing that both of countries are doing well. Lets leave it at that. It would be pathetic to brag about our GDPs when they are as low as $1500 and $1800 respectively. Good luck to you and your country.

I was only arguing over the intellectual dishonesty and misinterpretation of the data.

Of course Bangladesh has done a stellar job with its economy, no doubt about that. However small the achievement be, it should be celebrated. I am happy to see that India's per capita GDP will be around $1000 more than what it is a today in 5 years time, ditto for Bangladesh. Its not much when you compare it to the developed countries, but its still a step in the right direction, and it needs to be acknowledged!

Last edited:
However macro benefits emanating from implementing GST far outreach the negatives,
What are the negatives? if I may ask.

I was only arguing over the intellectual dishonesty and misinterpretation of the data.
These data are projections....it can be right or it can be wrong.....It can give you a good idea how a country's economy is likely to go but it is not likely to be very accurate.

GST is a monetary/fiscal reform, not an infrastructural project. And you need to provide a source for the 1.5-2% addition to the growth rate. Such reforms are stated as high risks as they could go either way.

I was talking about two separate things, infrastructure development and economic reforms.

Infrastructure projects like the, Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor, Eastern and Western freight corridors( read about it), and economic reforms like GST.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...as-gdp-to-over-8-imf/articleshow/57296109.cms

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...nvestors-industry-leaders-116080401042_1.html

Of course Bangladesh has done a stellar job with its economy
Not really. We've been only doing decent for the last 3 years....before that it has been average at best imo. Although it is expected to go even better(maybe slightly but still better) in the next few years.

Once Padma bridge will become operational the growth rate of BD will further speed up ..... good going BD ...there is prediction that Padma bridge will add 1% hike in annual growth rate

According to latest release,IMF world economic outlook April,2017 Database,Nominal GDP of Bangladesh is 249 billion USD and Per capita GDP is 1525 USD.Within the region,It is lower than India,Bhutan,Sri Lanka and Maldives but higher than Myanmar, Nepal and Afghanistan.

Indian Per capita gdp is now stand 325 dollar higher than Bangladesh.Bangladesh expected to narrow this gap in coming years and eventually overtake much to the discomfort of Bhakt/Shanghis who are engaged in a smear campaign against Bangladesh for the so called 'illegal Bangladeshi' which is nothing but demonstration of severe inferiority complex on part of them.

View attachment 391776

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2017/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2017&ey=2017&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&pr1.x=73&pr1.y=2&c=512,513,514,518,558,564,524,534&s=NGDPD,NGDPDPC&grp=0&a=
How is Bangladesh exactly expected to exceed India in country as well as people wise earning?

A gap of 300$ will hardly matter when at an income of 12,000$ which is essentially the limit for Higher income nations. Let us focus on how to get there rather than argue about 300 $ differential.

How is Bangladesh exactly expected to exceed India in country as well as people wise earning?
BD per cpaita income is already higher than India.
It is per capita GDP is lower for BD. Its mostly had to do with government spending as well as smaller government.

Dont jump on me as I dont have time to argue this time. Very busy. Dig in....

Back
Top Bottom