What's new

IHS Janes | China, Pakistan set for submarine deal by end of year.

Interesting...

How does Yuan class submarines compare against German Dolphin class submarines, which Israel recently purchased?

Type 209 modernized larger displacement "Dolphin class" is way ahead technologically than most Chinese submarines in service [those Chinese subs that are under development phase we have no info about those].

The Dolphin Class is actually two related sub-classes of diesel-electric submarine developed and constructed by Howaldtswerke Deutsche Werft AG (HDW), Germany for the israel navy.The first three members of the class were based on the export-only German 209 class submarines, but greatly modified and enlarged, and are thus not designated as members of the 209 family. The Dolphin 1 sub-class is slightly larger than the German Navy Type 212 in length and displacement. The three newer AIP equipped boats are similar to the Type 212 vessels currently used by the German navy in underwater endurance, although the AIP Dolphins are 12 metres longer and are nearly 500 tonnes heavier in submerged displacement, and have a larger crew than either the Type 212 or the Type 214. The Dolphin class boats are the most expensive single vehicles in the IDF and are considered among the most sophisticated and capable conventionally powered submarines in the world.

Since China always keeps anything underwater in secret, it is hard to know the exact specification unless the disclosed information from some semi-official report.

Agreed, there are new technologies that China is applying to its products that takes little time from prototype to induction compared to say German products. There might be things that are not as advanced as Germans subs but in some Areas China is implementing some revolutionary technologies how ever they are new and in advance testing phases similar to US.

Last edited:
It is 6 in the tubes, 12 in the rack.

If this is not enough, then go after the SSN.

24 torpedoes and 16 anti-ship missiles or 16 LACMs.
140750r39hmhhjujxxhxju.jpg

Any idea about the price tag of these subs that we are getting and these SSN's....

My point about the AIP was

That yes although you can add AIP later like we did with the Agosta's its a bitch of a job & if possible it would always be better if the subs were AIP at the point of manufacture

Basically every which way you look at it

Pakistan by 2020-2025 will probably have

1-2 nuclear subs
around 6 chinese AIP subs that will be most likely be able to fire SLBM's
and our aogosta's

We already had TOT with the agosta's & with some new tot from the chinese Pakistan could come up with a good sub force

Considering what we are facing with the Indian Navy, subs that can fire SLBM's and can house our second strike option are better and more of a detterant then a few destroyers etc

My point about the AIP was

We already had TOT with the agosta's & with some new tot from the chinese Pakistan could come up with a good sub force

Considering what we are facing with the Indian Navy, subs that can fire SLBM's and can house our second strike option are better and more of a detterant then a few destroyers etc

TOT means nothing even iran is developing various submarines, did we work hard to even start developing any indigenous submarine the answer is No. If Pak was smart they would have kept the number of A-90B to 5 atleast if not 6,that is what we needed with latest technologies incorporated.

for conventional subs thats too much even 800 will make PN revise the number.... i think it should be in the area of 500 mill for PN to buy 6 subs..... if you are talking 1 billion for N subs....that makes sense.

You won't find a conventional sub displacement around and over A-90B for $275-$300m+/-...the A-90B that had cost PN 750-800m for 3 subs in 90's now would costs 1b+...If anything any subs from China would be part of loans and the costs would not be less than $2.5b for sure.

They are keeping it tight deliberately. The sub we will buy is still in development. AIP and Pumpjet are two key features.
Well at least we can sign the contract because no other country will sell us nuclear submarines so we should go ahead with the contract and by the way how much time it will take I mean when that submarine will be completed

You won't find a conventional sub displacement around and over A-90B for $275-$300m+/-...the A-90B that had cost PN 750-800m for 3 subs in 90's now would costs 1b+...If anything any subs from China would be part of loans and the costs would not be less than $2.5b for sure.

sorry sir i was saying 500 mil a piece at max so yes 2.5b for 6 subs is a good deal.

sorry sir i was saying 500 mil a piece at max so yes 2.5b for 6 subs is a good deal.

Single Submarine?

But regarding Pak Navy purchase we have no information except that PN is interested in Chinese submarines, no info on what Type, price tag etc.

It is a single for a 3.5th generation SSN i guess.

for conventional subs thats too much even 800 will make PN revise the number.... i think it should be in the area of 500 mill for PN to buy 6 subs..... if you are talking 1 billion for N subs....that makes sense.

I think the N sub that costs 0.8-1 billion per boat right now might be too much for Pakistan to handle financially.

Maybe 5 years later, China could sell it even at a lower price.

Back
Top Bottom