What's new

IDF captures Iranian ship carrying advanced rockets for Gaza

Egypt occupied Gaza till 1967 and they dont want it back. Israel also gave up Gaza voluntarily twise since no one wants to take it: in 1957 and in 2005. We dont wont it back even if u pay us.

You're a troll.

Nothing's silly about it. :D

The Army and the Economy in Egypt

Should the production of pasta, mineral water, butane gas cylinders, and gas station services qualify as classified military secrets? And does discussing these enterprises in public pass as a crime of high treason? The leaders of the Egyptian Armed Forces believe the answer is “yes.”

Until this very day, the role of the military establishment in the economy remains one of the major taboos in Egyptian politics. Over the past thirty years, the army has insisted on concealing information about its enormous interests in the economy and thereby keeping them out of reach of public transparency and accountability. The Egyptian Armed Forces owns a massive segment of Egypt’s economy—twenty-five to forty percent, according to some estimates. In charge of managing these enterprises are the army’s generals and colonels, notwithstanding the fact that they lack the relevant experience, training, or qualifications for this task.

The military’s economic interests encompass a diverse range of revenue-generating activities, including the selling and buying of real estate on behalf of the government, domestic cleaning services, running cafeterias, managing gas stations, farming livestock, producing food products, and manufacturing plastic table covers. All this information is readily available on the websites of relevant companies and factories, which publicly and proudly disclose that they belong to the army. Yet for some reason the military establishment insists on outlawing any public mention of these activities.

Why is the budget of the Egyptian army above public transparency and accountability? Is it because it is exclusively concerned with national defense and thus must remain classified? Not really.

It is certainly true that one part of the Egyptian army’s budget is concerned with defense-related activities, such as the procurement or co-production of weaponry. These activities, however, hardly have anything to do with the “classified” part of the army’s budget. As a matter of fact, information about many of these budgetary items is readily available in public records. That is because such items are mainly concerned with Egypt’s joint endeavors with a foreign partner that is legally obligated to disclose to its own citizens a full account of its activities, including military aid and arms deals (or co-production of military equipment) with countries like Egypt. This partner is, of course, the United States government, which grants the Egyptian army an annual 1.3 billion USD in aid through its Foreign Military Financing program. Reports on official US government websites, such as that of the Government Accountability Office, Department of State, Department of Defense, and Congress, provide data on US arms sales to Egypt and military equipment that the United States helped produce in Egyptian military factories.

The part of the military’s budget that is kept secret has little to do with national defense and more with the huge profits the army accrues from the production of non-military goods and services. In other words, these budgetary items have to do with: how many bags of pasta and bottled water were sold last month; how much money “Wataniyya”, the military’s gas station, generated last year; how many houses “Queen”, the military’s cleaning services company, attended to this month and how many nurseries the same company is in charge of running; how many truckloads of fresh beef have the military’s high-tech slaughterhouses in East Uwaynat sold this year; how many cabins they managed to rent out in the north coast Sidi Crir resort last summer; and how many apartments they sold in Kuliyyat al-Banat residential buildings and at what price? All these items together make up the “classified” part of the army’s budget, which the military establishment insistently keeps off the public record and out of the reach of parliamentary and public deliberation as well as oversight. Attempting to discuss the army’s so-called classified activities in public could result in military prosecution and trial, because these are, supposedly, “national security secrets” that Egypt’s rivals—like Israel—must not find out about.

This article examines the hidden role of the military in Egypt’s economy and how it tends to take on the form of economic activities for which the army is unfit and that steer the military establishment away from its principal obligations, namely advancing national defense and protecting the country’s borders. Of greater concern is how many of the army’s leaders have entered into networks of corruption and unlawful partnerships with private capital. The discussion that follows does not rely on classified sources, and is based on public information available in the news media, and the websites of the military-owned companies along with the job and marketing ads they publish.

And he brings up a completely irrelevant (has absolutely nothing to do with Gulf aid) and outdated article that has been refuted multiple times.

Again, your quote

You would have never gotten that money had the US not approved of it, and already went to corrupt Egyptian military leadership.

No it hasn't, all aid provided by the gulf states has been deposited to the Egyptian Central Bank to prop up Egypt's foreign cash reserves, this can be checked and verified, the sources I have provided do just that.

. The money hasn't went in the economy at all.

The sources state otherwise, you are welcome to provide any credible sources that state the aid has gone elsewhere or hasn't been helpful to the nations economy.

A Kuwait parliament member stated this on live tv and your military leadership was vacationing in London.

So the word of a Kuwaiti parliamentarian is gospel? he is wrong and there is countless evidence to prove him wrong.

Of course we Americans have to serve our Jewish masters, the US does zero to prevent instability anywhere else in the world yet only when it comes to our Jewish masters we do everything in our hands to prevent a couple dozen rockets from reaching the Palestinians.

US: We worked with Israel on tracking Iran weapons ship headed to Gaza - Israel News, Ynetnews

President Barack Obama also directed the US military to work out contingencies in case it became necessary to intercept the vessel, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One.

"Throughout this time our intelligence and military activities were closely coordinated with our Israeli counterparts who ultimately chose to take the lead in interdicting this shipment of illicit arms," Carney said.

I'm sick of this Jewish worshipping shit!

And he brings up a completely irrelevant (has absolutely nothing to do with Gulf aid) and outdated article that has been refuted multiple times.

Again, your quote

No it hasn't, all aid provided by the gulf states has been deposited to the Egyptian Central Bank to prop up Egypt's foreign cash reserves, this can be checked and verified, the sources I have provided do just that.

The sources state otherwise, you are welcome to provide any credible sources that state the aid has gone elsewhere or hasn't been helpful to the nations economy.

So the word of a Kuwaiti parliamentarian is gospel? he is wrong and there is countless evidence to prove him wrong.

Hasn't been refuted at all, are you denying the military is corrupt? LOL! The whole Arab world knows this.

Hasn't been refuted at all, are you denying the military is corrupt? LOL! The whole Arab world knows this.

Look, you are being stubborn for no particular reason, you wrote that the aid from the gulf nations hasn't been directed to the Egyptian economy but to the 'generals', I proved you wrong and everyone here knows you are wrong, you have no leg to stand on. The military's business enterprise and corruption in the forces is completely irrelevant in this instance.
:closed:

The article actually has been refuted, the money generated from the Forces enterprises goes directly into the Armed Forces' budget both to sustain the force and for procurement. That isn't to say there isn't corruption in the forces, corruption usually occurs when there's a tender available for certain weapons systems or contracts, the Officer in charge is bribed by companies into favouring their bid by a bribe, of course there are various sorts of bribes, sometimes job offers are bribes. This type of corruption is widespread worldwide not just in Egypt.

Look, you are being stubborn for no particular reason, you wrote that the aid from the gulf nations hasn't been directed to the Egyptian economy but to the 'generals', I proved you wrong and everyone here knows you are wrong, you have no leg to stand on. The military's business enterprise and corruption in the forces is completely irrelevant in this instance.
:closed:

The article actually has been refuted, the money generated from the Forces enterprises goes directly into the Armed Forces' budget both to sustain the force and for procurement. That isn't to say there isn't corruption in the forces, corruption usually occurs when there's a tender available for certain weapons systems or contracts, the Officer in charge is bribed by companies into favouring their bid by a bribe, of course there are various sorts of bribes, sometimes job offers are bribes. This type of corruption is widespread worldwide not just in Egypt.

Just because it was intended to go into economy doesn't mean all of it did. No, isn't widespread around the world, Egyptian military corruption is off the roof they control much of the economy and take what's in it for them. I can list numerous sources but lets not get too off topic.

All I'm doing is the same as you did. I thought you might have cottoned on by now.

You came into this thread with this.

Is that a well-reasoned post? does it in any way take into account the complexities of the conflict or control of the land?

No.

Offcourse it is a well-reasoned post. Israel is a colonial power and it is accepted/stated by all human right organizations, U.N, and International Court of Justice.

Israel is a declared colonial power..hence uncivilized barbarians.
So I just replied in kind.

Kashmir is India, the Pakistanis are colonials and barbarians:)

Show me any human right organization, International Court of Justice or anyone else declaring that about Pakistan?

PS, its 'colonialists' and not colonials. Improve your English, Jew.

Astaghfirullah!

I hope Palestinians steer clear from Jewish decadency and immorality.

Palestinians are religious don't worry, only a very tiny ugly minority indulges in immorality. They are ugly and older women/men, the rest are pious girls waiting for the right husband. :)

Just because it was intended to go into economy doesn't mean all of it did.

Actually it did, I'm not sure if you understand how deposits into the central bank are made or how aid is donated so let me break it down for you. It's a bit like this, say Saudi Arabia decides to donate 1 billion dollars to Egypt's foreign reserves, they make the deposit to Egypt's foreign reserves, say Egypt's foreign reserves are at 1 billion dollars, when Saudi makes the deposit Egypt's foreign reserves rise to 2 billion dollars, the world market sees Egypt's foreign reserves rising by a billion dollars, and decide whether to invest or not. There is no way you can skim it because it's a completely transparent transaction.........

Again, you have no leg to stand on.

No, isn't widespread around the world

This form of corruption actually is widespread around the world, read up on it.

Egyptian military corruption is off the roof they control much of the economy and take what's in it for them. I can list numerous sources but lets not get too off topic.

All of the sources that cite the Egyptian Armed Forces controlling this or that percentage or the Egyptian economy are tripe, for one they don't cite any raw data or statistics to back up their claims, that's not to say the forces doesn't have a large business enterprise.

Bye,bye.

@F117

I'm reading a report in Arabic claiming it was destined for PIJ and not Hamas. They've denied it though.

Iran has history of exporting terrorism. Nothing new here, state of haters.
All i want to know, how Israel got the such perfect intelligence? and when will Israel return the ship?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom