What's new

IAF’s Modernised Mirage-2000-5 takes wings

Is that the range for RDY-2 Radar? Because 70nm seems less

They don't specify for what kind of target. From the choice of units (nm), I guess they are talking about surface targets on the sea. (The ability to attack seaborne targets is new to the upgraded M2K, if I'm not mistaken.)

For airborne targets, Dassault has always claimed that the M2K's radar outperforms the APG of F-16s of the same time. The RDY-2 is claimed to be superior to the radar on F-16 block 52.

If mmrca is canceled Wat chances of increasing this fleet from 50 to perhaps 90+

If MMRCA is ever cancelled,in my best guess,we'll be buying some other new mmrcas and probably some more lcas.And yes,second hand M2ks sounds good too.

Why in the hell did we not go a ToT for this bird in the first place????:hitwall:

They don't specify for what kind of target. From the choice of units (nm), I guess they are talking about surface targets on the sea. (The ability to attack seaborne targets is new to the upgraded M2K, if I'm not mistaken.)

For airborne targets, Dassault has always claimed that the M2K's radar outperforms the APG of F-16s of the same time. The RDY-2 is claimed to be superior to the radar on F-16 block 52.

Claim this claim that. Well, the APG 68 of F-16 is a very superior radar and flown by many airforces of the world. About RDY-2 we can't say much as it is relatively new.

Its hard to say conclusively which is the better radar; since the specs are quite "hush-hush". But they are certainly comparable.

Claim this claim that. Well, the APG 68 of F-16 is a very superior radar and flown by many airforces of the world. About RDY-2 we can't say much as it is relatively new.

Yes, I can only point out claims of the manufacturer, unless I am privy to inside info about both radars - I am not. Which is why I clearly wrote "claim", instead of asserting it as truth.

RDY went into full production in 1994, and has been in service with all countries operating the M2K (obviously smaller than the number of countries operating F-16s, but nevertheless a respectable number).

The manufacturers claim (yes, claim - authoritative info is not released by end users, the various air forces) 140 km detection range for fighter sized targets, and 70 kms in "look down" mode. I suppose that is what this article is talking about. RDY-2 has a 15% increase, they say.

Modernization and upgrades of Mirages and MIG 29 has certainly helped the IAF to an extent but if MMRCA is further delayed till say after elections next year then squadron strength is bound to come down

Its hard to say conclusively which is the better radar; since the specs are quite "hush-hush". But they are certainly comparable.

True, and paper specs of range only tell one part of the story - a lot of other factors, like which one has a lower probability of intercept, better resistance to jamming and so on also determine utility.

All we know is that Thales (or Thompson, as I think they were back then) developed the RDY as a response to F-16's (then) new ability to fire BVR missiles, and the need to better the F-16's performance. If I' not mistaken, India's purchase of Mirages was itself a panic response to PAF's acquisition of F-16s, and the IAF's need to maintain qualitative superiority.

I don't think any non-AESA radar can come close to BARS & IRBIS-E.

This is the latest Thales RDY-3 MMR.

According to this link as well as some French members at another def forum, it's the RDY-3 (improved RDY-2) that the IAF Mirages now have.

If you see the Thales link, it says RDY-3's average transmitting power is 400 W.

IAF MKI's BARS has an average output of 2,000-2,500 W (2.0-2.5kW), and a peak output exceeding 6,000 watts (6kW). So you can see where BARS is and where RDY-3 stands, in comparison. Also given the fact BARS is a PESA which emits it's energy in different frequencies and changes the frequency many times per second, it's way more difficult to jam than RDY-3/APG-68 type radars.

Until the arrival of Rafale AESA and the Super-MKI AESA, the BARS will remain on the peak of fighter-based radars in this region. Up-gradation of Mirages' radars won't cast much of a shadow over the principle air-combat happening around here.

Mirage needs to have better radar for engaging enemies in self-defence if it gets caught while bombing their houses.

Why Derby and Python Beyond-visual-range missiles

whyn't MICA ? Mica is more advance...

Wrong reporting I believe, it is MICA only. Derby and PV-5 was offered by Elta as up gradation for M2k but we went to France instead.

According to this link as well as some French members at another def forum, it's the RDY-3 (improved RDY-2) that the IAF Mirages now have.

If you see the Thales link, it says RDY-3's average transmitting power is 400 W.

IAF MKI's BARS has an average output of 2,000-2,500 W (2.0-2.5kW), and a peak output exceeding 6,000 watts (6kW). So you can see where BARS is and where RDY-3 stands, in comparison. Also given the fact BARS is a PESA which emits it's energy in different frequencies and changes the frequency many times per second, it's way more difficult to jam than RDY-3/APG-68 type radars.

Until the arrival of Rafale AESA and the Super-MKI AESA, the BARS will remain on the peak of fighter-based radars in this region. Up-gradation of Mirages' radars won't cast much of a shadow over the principle air-combat happening around here.

Mirage needs to have better radar for engaging enemies in self-defence if it gets caught while bombing their houses.

Isn't this AESA, not PESA?

That's not true. The RDY-3 is actually a less capable version of the original RDY, and RDY-2 is an upgraded version of the original RDY. The RDY-3 is cheaper, but not very useful in A2G mode. The French air force is fitting many of its Mirage-H with RDY-3, and using them purely for air defence, because ground attack will be taken over by the Rafale.

The RDY-2 is the best radar in the series, and the IAF will get a slightly customized version of it. This is explained at length on BR, but forum rules don't permit posting a link to that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom